Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FRIENDS OF OURS AFTER A 10 HOUR DRIVE TO CANADA WERE TURNED BACK AT THE BORDER BECAUSE THE WIFE HAD GOTTEN A DWAI AFEW YEARS BACK. AND AFTER ALL THE STORIES OF TRUCKS ,TRAILERS AND SLEDS BEING RIPPED OFF I BEEN HAVING A HARD TIME DECIDING IF ITS WORTH THE TRIP . TO DRIVE 7+ HOURS ONLY TO HAVE ONE PERSON IN OUR GROUP TURNED BACK WOULD SUCK. HAS ANY ONE BEEN THRU LATELY AND WHAT STUFF DID YOU HAVE TO HAVE WITH YOU.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
if they ask if you have been arrested and lie they could turn you back,if there is another bridge close just go there.Have all your paper shit ready if they ask pic id,birth cert. sled and trailer paper work ,if your paper work is ready and your polite not much chance of getting stopped.and have your destinationation ready as well,if they think your coming over to cause shit for get it.
its the same for us going into u.s.a.i had a cottage in michigan years ago and i went up to booth to cross and he ask me the exact address of my cottage ,it was only the second time i went there and ,i didn't know the exact address so he turned me around,i just drove 10 miles down the road and crossed at a different crossing.hope i was of some help :beerchug:

·
Registered
752 Posts
A DUI is a felony in Canada, that's why they hassle you.

·
Registered
942 Posts
After the first of the year, don't you need a passport or something?
And I personally know a guy who got his whole rig ripped off. '04 F-350 diesel, four place enclosed full of next to brand new sleds somewhere in quebec. Local authority barely wanted to help. Never saw his stuff again. Plus all the other reports I hear of it, I'd never go there.

·
Registered
866 Posts
FRIENDS OF OURS AFTER A 10 HOUR DRIVE TO CANADA WERE TURNED BACK AT THE BORDER BECAUSE THE WIFE HAD GOTTEN A DWAI AFEW YEARS BACK. AND AFTER ALL THE STORIES OF TRUCKS ,TRAILERS AND SLEDS BEING RIPPED OFF I BEEN HAVING A HARD TIME DECIDING IF ITS WORTH THE TRIP . TO DRIVE 7+ HOURS ONLY TO HAVE ONE PERSON IN OUR GROUP TURNED BACK WOULD SUCK. HAS ANY ONE BEEN THRU LATELY AND WHAT STUFF DID YOU HAVE TO HAVE WITH YOU.[/b]
Its the same story going into the US too. If you have a DUI they can turn you back. Nothing new.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I live in Derby VT 3 miles from the border have all my life. Go into canada all the time b/c I am a dealer for boat lifts and docks made there. You need to get what is called a pardon b/c your dwi is a felony there as is a C/N. It cost me $1100 at the time I think it is $300 or so now. The border is ahuge pain in the ass comong or going. Used to spend alot of time over there drinking partying etc but coming back across is a pain so we dont anymore. Have not snowmobiled there since 1998 b/c of all the thefts. I know of 20plus people who have had vehicles or sleds stolen there in the past 8-12 years. Good Luck

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
FRIENDS OF OURS AFTER A 10 HOUR DRIVE TO CANADA WERE TURNED BACK AT THE BORDER BECAUSE THE WIFE HAD GOTTEN A DWAI AFEW YEARS BACK. AND AFTER ALL THE STORIES OF TRUCKS ,TRAILERS AND SLEDS BEING RIPPED OFF I BEEN HAVING A HARD TIME DECIDING IF ITS WORTH THE TRIP . TO DRIVE 7+ HOURS ONLY TO HAVE ONE PERSON IN OUR GROUP TURNED BACK WOULD SUCK. HAS ANY ONE BEEN THRU LATELY AND WHAT STUFF DID YOU HAVE TO HAVE WITH YOU.[/b]
she has to apply for a pardon. You can call the Canadian consolate and they will help her with the paperwork. It's about $250 US.

And I personally know a guy who got his whole rig ripped off. '04 F-350 diesel, four place enclosed full of next to brand new sleds somewhere in quebec. Local authority barely wanted to help. Never saw his stuff again. Plus all the other reports I hear of it, I'd never go there.[/b]
no passport required to drive through. Only a BC and drivers lic. As for the thefts, unfortunately it is a problem there and they do target American vehicles. It's an organized crime ring, and in the rural areas I'm sure the cops are on the dole too. That being said, there are establishments that take care of your stuff - locked compounds, security cameras and 24hr private security detail. These guys do this because of how important American tourists are to their bottom line, so they take it seriously. If they get vehicles stolen off their property it could mean the end of their business. If you are doing a trip you need to plan your route and only stay at secure hotels.

I live in Derby VT 3 miles from the border have all my life. Go into canada all the time b/c I am a dealer for boat lifts and docks made there. You need to get what is called a pardon b/c your dwi is a felony there as is a C/N. It cost me $1100 at the time I think it is $300 or so now. The border is ahuge pain in the ass comong or going. Used to spend alot of time over there drinking partying etc but coming back across is a pain so we dont anymore. Have not snowmobiled there since 1998 b/c of all the thefts. I know of 20plus people who have had vehicles or sleds stolen there in the past 8-12 years. Good Luck[/b]
issues coming back are with American officials, not Canadian. And see above, theft is a problem, but if you do your research you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
And I personally know a guy who got his whole rig ripped off. '04 F-350 diesel, four place enclosed full of next to brand new sleds somewhere in quebec. Local authority barely wanted to help. Never saw his stuff again. Plus all the other reports I hear of it, I'd never go there.[/b]
i wouldn't go there either, u.s has much less crime than canada

·
Registered
752 Posts
After the first of the year, don't you need a passport or something?[/b]
Only if you fly in. If entering US by land or sea, you need a passport by Jan 1, 2008. If you fly into the US from foreign soil, you need a passport Jan 23, 2007. The US is also looking at some sort of "passport card" to use for Canada and Mexico. It will be cheaper than a full passport. Details have not been finalized yet.

I just did all the research when I went to renew my passport....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts