Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
THATS MESSED UP LOL. SORRY IT'S NOT FUNNY. I AM SURE IT IS IN THE CARBS OR THROTTLE CABLE. AJUST CARBS AND PUT THEM BOTH INSINK AND ADJUST IDLE THEN LUB UP THE THROTTLE CABLE. DUNNO. :dunno:

THINK SNOW

:fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy:

:linemup: :celebrating:

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
check the crank seal behind the clutch, dont spray something on there with it running that never works take the clutch off and look at it its wasted and the bearing prolly is to[/b]
Check the carb boots too! Have the Carbs been cleaned?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had taken one carb apart to see if they were clean before i tried starting the sled(first time since motor was put in the new chassis) and it looked fine.Maybe a leak im getting an air leak from when i took the float bowl off? Trav

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had taken one carb apart to see if they were clean before i tried starting the sled(first time since motor was put in the new chassis) and it looked fine.Maybe a leak im getting an air leak from when i took the float bowl off? Trav[/b]
Sounds like you did not put the slide back in the carb right. They are realy out of sink,is what it sounds like. Did you make sure the cable is in the top of the carb right and not pulled up over the adjuster. Check for cable problems or if you removed carb slide make sure it is in the carb right.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only part i took off the carb was the float bowl.I didnt touch anything else on them.I did try adjusting idle screws,but it seemed to have no effect.It could be the throttle cable because i did notice that at the end where it goes in the fitting on the carb part of the cable was kinked and the housing was torn. Trav

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
The only part i took off the carb was the float bowl.I didnt touch anything else on them.I did try adjusting idle screws,but it seemed to have no effect.It could be the throttle cable because i did notice that at the end where it goes in the fitting on the carb part of the cable was kinked and the housing was torn. Trav[/b]
Was the problem there before you took the carbs apart?

EDIT: sorry I think I read the original post wrong and you didn't actually fire it until after you had worked on the carbs the first time. Try looking for an air leak, def use carb cleaner and not starting fluid (dangerous!) and listen for a change. It sure is a funny issue though, never seen that one myself.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Air leak,pto side. The 2 pto crank bearing are shredding,tear it down now before it gets REAL EXPENSIVE. Common to 400/500 LC engines as well as 488 fans of that vintage. Not picking on you but,this is why proper summer storage is important,FOG THE MOTOR IN THE FUTURE :beerchug:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There was no problem before i took it a part because i didnt try starting the engine before that.The first time i got it to run it ran fine.I then shut it off and when i restarted it,it started to not run right like in the video. Trav

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Another common issue is blown belt fabric collecting on the crank behind the clutch and taking out the seal.. Also, dont spray anything in or near your clutch, use propane from a unlit torch to check that seal,works great. dont use oxy/act!!!!!!

·
Registered
47,326 Posts
I had a 87 and an 88 indy 400....both developed bad pto and mag crank seals...seems if you park them and don't use them for a long period they develop a thin coating of surface rust on the crank just under the lip of the seal.....start the motor up and it acts like sandpaper wearing the lip of the seal....eventually the seal leaks causing a lean high idle.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well,i found out whats wrong with my sled.It turns out that my crank case seal is leaking.It is on the exhaust side.Can i put something like crankcase sealant over the crack?Or can i just buy a new seal,unbolt the crankcase from the jugs(just seperate the two halves)?Any info is greatly appreciated. Trav

·
Doesn't play well with other
5,450 Posts
I am prolly gonna get flamed for this, but you can "temp" fix it with some sealent, did it on a buddys xc700 it don't last to long but it will get ya a few weekends of riding. He ended up pulling the seal and just hammering in a new one, he didn't wanna have any down time as the area he lives in gets marginal snow. At the end of the season we tore motor out and split the cases and did a complete seal and gasket kit.
But you can "afro engineer" not sure what that means but I heard it at church.

F&F

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.