Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Polaris 850 Indy xc 137” Ice Ripper, HD rear torsions, Studboy Dueces Kimpex fuel holder
530 Posts
650 if going with 129” track, 850 if 137” or longer. Again, one of each.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
What made you sell the VR1 over the assault?
Were there any aspects of the VR1 you didn't care for?
I like to play off trail. That's one reason why I have 2 sleds. I really liked the VR1. I had thought about a Mach Z...but up here I got a few quotes between 25,500-27,000. That's a lot of cheddar for a sled I don't like the look of. I'll snow check another polaris. Will wait to see what comes out, but as of now leaning to a 129" 850

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
650 if going with 129” track, 850 if 137” or longer. Again, one of each.
having had 850's in 129", 137" and 146". My 2022 hopefully be 129" Unless they make an XCR in 136"

·
Registered
2020 Polaris 850 Indy xc 137” Ice Ripper, HD rear torsions, Studboy Dueces Kimpex fuel holder
530 Posts
I seem to work just a little harder on my 137” than on shorter sleds I’ve owned. But compared to other riders I ride with I can tell I’m faster on the 137”. This is on tight woods trails that this year are rough and whooped out. These guys ride fairly aggressive, I guess I do to by comparison even though I would never call myself an aggressive rider.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm still amazed at how well the Matryx Assault handles tight trails. Tight trails behind a friend on his XRS 800 yesterday and i was all over his back bumper. Not as quick as my Rush, but it's also a foot longer...
I agree with a caveat. I think I can hustle a sled down a trail pretty well but I've certainly found the edge of the envelope with the Assault. If I don't come into a corner on the right line at a high enough speed it seems to get and stay tight. I've worked with some different suspension setups but haven't found the sweet spot. I chalk this up to the traction of the 1.6" Cobra. It's hard to break loose mid corner when I want/need to change the line. If I come into the corner loose, it stays loose. They way I like it. Not really a fault of the track or the sled. They're doing what they're supposed to be doing. I guess what I'm saying is the extra foot can come into play at times. In marginal snow conditions I love the extra foot and uncoupled skid. Rocket ship!

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
Not that this will help the O.P. much as it seems that he wants a big bore. But I would definitely snow check another 650. Motor definitely has enough low and mid range to keep 9/10 guys and gals happy. Top end could use a little help for my liking, but I suppose that's why there is an 850. But this is where I am at a coin toss on what I may have done different. I enjoy the 137 storm 1.5 but I may have done a 1.25 ice ripper in either a 129 or a 137. Only time I have really wanted more power is maybe on the lakes as the fastest I have seen on the speedo is 95 mph. (Some have seen higher with the same combo as I have). And that is where the coin flip on track option comes to play, but most times we are on trails, not a lake. Options I have done and would do again is the tall windshield, heated seat and largest bag Polaris makes for the the Maytrx. Overall I am very happy with the 650/VR1 package.

·
Registered
2018 Rush 800 Pro-S, 2021 Matryx Switchback Assault 850
212 Posts
I agree with a caveat. I think I can hustle a sled down a trail pretty well but I've certainly found the edge of the envelope with the Assault. If I don't come into a corner on the right line at a high enough speed it seems to get and stay tight. I've worked with some different suspension setups but haven't found the sweet spot. I chalk this up to the traction of the 1.6" Cobra. It's hard to break loose mid corner when I want/need to change the line. If I come into the corner loose, it stays loose. They way I like it. Not really a fault of the track or the sled. They're doing what they're supposed to be doing. I guess what I'm saying is the extra foot can come into play at times. In marginal snow conditions I love the extra foot and uncoupled skid. Rocket ship!
Yup. I almost high-sided myself yesterday coming out of a corner too fast. It was the really tight trails that it impressed me the most. 30-35 through the woods. I think it has a fair amount of room for error/recovery for a sled that size (and height). I have Custom Axis Racing shocks on the front of mine though; silver lining to stuffing a new sled in a culvert, i guess...
I'm loving the ICE Storm, it's absolutely incredible. Just the right amount of side bite, with a ton of linear grip. Which is why i put one on my Rush a month ago to replace the PoS Ripsaw II it came with...

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 850
349 Posts
I have the 1.25 ice ripper on the Axys XCR 850. It does not hook up nearly as well as I would like. 1.5 ice storm would be ideal.

·
Registered
2021 Polaris INDY VR1 850
81 Posts
I got a Vr1 850 137 . It was a solid sled. I recently had the rear torsion springs replaced with the HD ones and my rear shock revalved. Im 180 lbs, I ride hard, a lot of whopped out trails and was bottoming constantly. The sled is now night and day. It feels absolutely dialed now. It eats up anything the trail has to throw at it. I was almost certain I was going to an XCR next season, now after these improvements I can say I'll almost certainly be sticking with the vr1. I absolutely love riding position of the matryx

·
Registered
139 Posts
ksk 1800: Working through the same decision for a sled for my wife and will be going with the 650 VR1. She does not necessarily need the Velocity suspension but we really want the group ride functionality of the gauge. Still tossing around 137" vs. 129" but thinking we go 129" as she is coming off of a Ski-Doo 600 Blizzard.

·
Registered
530 Posts
ksk 1800: Working through the same decision for a sled for my wife and will be going with the 650 VR1. She does not necessarily need the Velocity suspension but we really want the group ride functionality of the gauge. Still tossing around 137" vs. 129" but thinking we go 129" as she is coming off of a Ski-Doo 600 Blizzard.
what are you riding?

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 850
349 Posts
Polaris used to have Fuji motors and some of their in house motors haven’t been stellar. I wouldn’t throw stones at Cat for a Yamaha motor.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
You will love the new SBA coming off a previous version. A VR1 I don't think you will be happy with. The Matryx 137 is a excellent trail machine don't get me wrong, I have one. You will miss the playfulness of the Assault if you were to go to the 137. My opinion, go with the SBA. I love my Assault on trail, and when I want to go play, well you know how that goes. I have a 1.6 cobra with I grip studs. I'm trading my 20 SBA for a 22 for sure.
At the end of December I bought a 2021 SBA 144 850 with a 1.6 Cobra, PIDD Gauge and I love it...I was considering a Matryx SBA 146 but it came down to dealer location and relationship...my question is how much difference is their between the two...I realize the gauges are different and the 146 has Velocity Shocks but I’m talking about ride quality, trail/off trail manners....etc..

As for the OP I say go for the SBA 146....uncoupled but I don’t feel like they give up that much in on trail performance and they shine everywhere else. This past Saturday I was riding some of my old back trails/off trail which included some open fields with fresh foot deep snow, wood lines, some swampy areas with decent whoops, loose packed snow...etc....the SBA handled it all with ease...only thing I’m going to change for next season is to bolt on a set of Gripper Skis. 🇺🇸👊🏻

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
2,004 Posts
At the end of December I bought a 2021 SBA 144 850 with a 1.6 Cobra, PIDD Gauge and I love it...I was considering a Matryx SBA 146 but it came down to dealer location and relationship...my question is how much difference is their between the two...I realize the gauges are different and the 146 has Velocity Shocks but I’m talking about ride quality, trail/off trail manners....etc..
Hey Al,
I've owned two Axys Assault sleds. One was a 2017 800 and the 2nd was a 2019 850. The best thing is to always try to find one to try yourself to make your own decision but I like my Matryx Assault better than both of my previous Axys Assaults. I won't go on and on about how huge and drastic the changes are but I will say when riding it there's a lot of little things that add up for me to be pretty happy with my Matryx Assault.
J.Max

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hey Al,
I've owned two Axys Assault sleds. One was a 2017 800 and the 2nd was a 2019 850. The best thing is to always try to find one to try yourself to make your own decision but I like my Matryx Assault better than both of my previous Axys Assaults. I won't go on and on about how huge and drastic the changes are but I will say when riding it there's a lot of little things that add up for me to be pretty happy with my Matryx Assault.
J.Max
I value everyone's opinion on this topic, so with that said....

Please feel free to go on and on in this thread with the changes you thought made big, huge, or small differences............

·
Premium Member
20 850 Assault and 21 Indy XC 650 137
3,207 Posts

As for the OP I say go for the SBA 146....uncoupled but I don’t feel like they give up that much in on trail performance and they shine everywhere else. This past Saturday I was riding some of my old back trails/off trail which included some open fields with fresh foot deep snow, wood lines, some swampy areas with decent whoops, loose packed snow...etc....the SBA handled it all with ease...only thing I’m going to change for next season is to bolt on a set of Gripper Skis. 🇺🇸👊🏻
The entire Matryx platform is just better. Mostly from the ergonomics and shock package. The Velocity shock package on the Matryx Assault is much more compliant on the trail, but can still take big hits when riding hard.
I have a XCR velocity RTS on my Assault and lighter torsion springs, thanks Lenn Johnson. It rides so much better, but not Matryx better.
Off trail both sleds are equally capable. The Matryx has a slight advantage with the narrow tank. Only thing I'd change is adding Gripper skis to the Assault. I have them on my Axys, and will be swapping them over.
Another reason I'm going Matryx on 22 is the accessories. The lock and ride flex system is great IMO.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Thanks for the replies fellas...I do find myself climbing the cowling and banging the hell out of my knees because as you all know the AXYS is very responsive to body position and I hear that the Matryx is as well and the bodywork allows the rider to move even farther forward. I will say that IMO this Axys SBA is light years better than my Pro Ride SBA...not even close especially when it comes to suspension calibration.👍🏼🇺🇸

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
One thing I don't understand when comparing the Assault vs the VR1.

If the VR1 is the top of the line trail sled why does it not come with the top of the line 2.0 velocity shocks instead of the 1.75 it's fitted with?

To most it might be a minor moot point but to me it's just like, why?

21 - 40 of 70 Posts