Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm coming off of a 2013 SBA 144 2.0.
I ride here in Michigan and as of late I find the groups I ride with do more trail riding than off trail to the point that the 2.0 is no longer the best choice / option.
My old sled was a very well spec'd build with a Indy Specialitys long rod motor and the full Hygear suspension package also with lots of little tweaks and upgrades over time.

I just sold the 2013 so I am currently without a sled.

I have very limited seat time on both a 2019 SBA 850 as well as a 2020 Pro-s 800 with the rush style suspension. Not a real big fan of the rush chassis but fully aware that if it's not set up for your weight, the ride suffers greatly. It just felt numb under my feet but I am a good 35 lbs heaver than the owner is.

I'm thinking about spring checking either a 850 VR1 137 or the 850 146 SBA.

My current thinking is to go with the 1.6 in the SBA if I go that route or the 1.5 storm if I go with the VR1.

This will be my first ever time spring checking any sled. Yes, I'm fully aware that they have not released the new choices for the 2022's yet.

With all that being said, what would you suggest, what did you order, what would you change if you had to do it different? What options did you not order that you wished you had, or what options did you order that would of been better off buying through the aftermarket.

If I was your best buddy, which sled would you recommend / suggest and why ??????

TIA

And Go!

·
Registered
2021 850 VR1 129
46 Posts
2021 850 vr1 129 150 storm. Only thing I would have changed really is mid window to tall one. Find myself more above the window on this sled. Got it dialed as all sleds need to be for rider. 7s is nice lots of info at one glance.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
My 19 came with 1.5 track my 20 with 1.352 . I would change the 1.352 track to 1.5 . I’m not a big fan (although I don’t hate them ) of 1.3 /1.25 tracks. We have a lot of variable snow conditions hardly ever deep snow all at once but many times snow is soft and mushy during day and hard at night. IMO a 1.5 ish lug works better here

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 850
355 Posts
You stated “What would you recommend I order if I was your best friend”. I would recommend you order a sled that is slightly slower than mine.
I would also recommend a tall windshield, a prestudded track, and the model with the best shock package you can afford.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You stated “What would you recommend I order if I was your best friend”. I would recommend you order a sled that is slightly slower than mine.
I would also recommend a tall windshield, a prestudded track, and the model with the best shock package you can afford.

LMAO @ the bold!!

I have gone non-studded for a long time. Not a fan of studded tracks anymore. If anything, I might consider going with the screw in lug studs if anything. From what little I have read. The screw in studs seem to work better than the pre-studded tracks do. But have no real world experience with either.

Last year at least, both the VR! and the Assault 146 snow checks came with the best shocks you could get from Polaris.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you were able to trail ride your 13 assault with ease, the axys assault and matryx assault chassis are definitely a leap ahead for a better trail mannered sled. Haven’t rode a VR1 yet but the XC 137’s are great on trail and aren’t too bad off trail either. The seating position of the Maytrx is awesome and probably the most comfortable yet, love the handlebars. I wouldn’t waste a penny on the old axys pidd gauge but the 7s setup is 100% the best thing on snow right now and I probably haven’t used half of its potential. The GPS works very well, it’s fast and very accurate! Trail data is as good as what’s loaded into it, if a trail is recently re routed obviously it won’t be on the screen. But it shows all roads, lakes are very detailed.. very impressed. I had the 1.6 cobra on my last assault and it works great in just about any condition even off trail. Went with the 1.5 ice storm on my maytrx assault and I don’t mind it but I feel the 2.52 144 axys sleds hook up better than the 2.86 146 tracks do.

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
2,006 Posts
Assault 146 would be my choice w/ the 1.6" Cobra if track choices haven't changed for SnowCheck 2022?
YES, Screw in studs are better than Pre-Studded if you would like more traction.
I would PM Lenn Stang and share your riding style and preferences with him to get his honest opinion.
He has both the VR1 137" and the Assault 146". He logs good miles and I'm sure will get you some good info to think about.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I owned an 850 137" VR1 cobra and a 146" Assault ice storm. I have recently sold the VR1. I am keeping the Assault another season. I am waiting for March 1 to decide what to order for 2022. I like to have 2 different style sleds. If Polaris makes a Matryx XCR in the 128-129" length I may go that route. If they release a 4 stroke (highly doubt it will be in anything but the Titan) I'll consider it. I am also considering a Mach Z. I am not brand loyal....biut Polaris has really spoiled me with the 7s display and smart warmers. 2 features I didn't know I really needed until I spent a season with them.

·
Premium Member
20 850 Assault and 21 Indy XC 650 137
3,208 Posts
I'm coming off of a 2013 SBA 144 2.0.
I ride here in Michigan and as of late I find the groups I ride with do more trail riding than off trail to the point that the 2.0 is no longer the best choice / option.
My old sled was a very well spec'd build with a Indy Specialitys long rod motor and the full Hygear suspension package also with lots of little tweaks and upgrades over time.

I just sold the 2013 so I am currently without a sled.

I have very limited seat time on both a 2019 SBA 850 as well as a 2020 Pro-s 800 with the rush style suspension. Not a real big fan of the rush chassis but fully aware that if it's not set up for your weight, the ride suffers greatly. It just felt numb under my feet but I am a good 35 lbs heaver than the owner is.

I'm thinking about spring checking either a 850 VR1 137 or the 850 146 SBA.

My current thinking is to go with the 1.6 in the SBA if I go that route or the 1.5 storm if I go with the VR1.

This will be my first ever time spring checking any sled. Yes, I'm fully aware that they have not released the new choices for the 2022's yet.

With all that being said, what would you suggest, what did you order, what would you change if you had to do it different? What options did you not order that you wished you had, or what options did you order that would of been better off buying through the aftermarket.

If I was your best buddy, which sled would you recommend / suggest and why ??????

TIA

And Go!
You will love the new SBA coming off a previous version. A VR1 I don't think you will be happy with. The Matryx 137 is a excellent trail machine don't get me wrong, I have one. You will miss the playfulness of the Assault if you were to go to the 137. My opinion, go with the SBA. I love my Assault on trail, and when I want to go play, well you know how that goes. I have a 1.6 cobra with I grip studs. I'm trading my 20 SBA for a 22 for sure.

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you were able to trail ride your 13 assault with ease, the axys assault and matryx assault chassis are definitely a leap ahead for a better trail mannered sled. Haven’t rode a VR1 yet but the XC 137’s are great on trail and aren’t too bad off trail either. The seating position of the Maytrx is awesome and probably the most comfortable yet, love the handlebars. I wouldn’t waste a penny on the old axys pidd gauge but the 7s setup is 100% the best thing on snow right now and I probably haven’t used half of its potential. The GPS works very well, it’s fast and very accurate! Trail data is as good as what’s loaded into it, if a trail is recently re routed obviously it won’t be on the screen. But it shows all roads, lakes are very detailed.. very impressed. I had the 1.6 cobra on my last assault and it works great in just about any condition even off trail. Went with the 1.5 ice storm on my maytrx assault and I don’t mind it but I feel the 2.52 144 axys sleds hook up better than the 2.86 146 tracks do.
Interesting- these are the two tracks I'll probably be deciding between for 2022 on a SBA 146. I've heard really great things about the 1.50 Storm, both on and off trail, some even saying they hook better than the 1.6 Cobra. What do you think? Can you elaborate more about your experiences between the two? Thanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
Another vote for the 850 Matryx Assault which is what I am currently riding. My configuration is the 1.6 Cobra with IGrip 25 thread in studs, mid windshield, and am running SLP Mohawk skis with Ace Runner carbides (6"). I am coming from an '18 Assault 800 and prior to that a '15 800 Pro S. I have not found another sled that is as fun and versatile as the Assault. The Matryx really ups the game on the trail riding portion of my riding which is probably 75% of the total. Off trail it is a blast and can go anywhere I have taken it. I am sure the VR1 137" is also an outstanding sled but not sure how it does when venturing off trail. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
2018 Rush 800 Pro-S, 2021 Matryx Switchback Assault 850
212 Posts
I'm still amazed at how well the Matryx Assault handles tight trails. Tight trails behind a friend on his XRS 800 yesterday and i was all over his back bumper. Not as quick as my Rush, but it's also a foot longer...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Following this as well. Looking to order for my wife this Spring. She is coming off a 15' XRS 800. She rode a friends 650 and fell in love with it. Question is, 650 or 850.

·
Registered
2020 Polaris 850 Indy xc 137” Ice Ripper, HD rear torsions, Studboy Dueces Kimpex fuel holder
535 Posts
She deserves both, and nothing less. A wonderful woman like that should never have to choose, and you can tell her I said that.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I owned an 850 137" VR1 cobra and a 146" Assault ice storm. I have recently sold the VR1. I am keeping the Assault another season. I am waiting for March 1 to decide what to order for 2022. I like to have 2 different style sleds. If Polaris makes a Matryx XCR in the 128-129" length I may go that route. If they release a 4 stroke (highly doubt it will be in anything but the Titan) I'll consider it. I am also considering a Mach Z. I am not brand loyal....biut Polaris has really spoiled me with the 7s display and smart warmers. 2 features I didn't know I really needed until I spent a season with them.
What made you sell the VR1 over the assault?
Were there any aspects of the VR1 you didn't care for?

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Following this as well. Looking to order for my wife this Spring. She is coming off a 15' XRS 800. She rode a friends 650 and fell in love with it. Question is, 650 or 850.
650 or the 850 a very tough choice. From what I've read so far, the 650 is a very well put together motor.
For me, it might just come down to my male ego and the ole addage, more is better and excess is best.
When it comes to HP that is!!!! LOL 😂😆

1 - 20 of 70 Posts