Hardcore Sledder banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
16,836 Posts
pull out a track tensioner bolt on one side, put it in the front mount and tighten the lock nut against the tunnel. Then you should have a better chance at getting out the bolt on the other side.

·
Premium Member
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
got the rear bolts out , had the other one that wouldn't start out 50 percent or so , finished removing the other , and now the 1 cunt holding me up is 50 percent out and for some reason im having a hell of a time lining up the other hole to try retightening again.

shits irritating lol.any other tricks?

·
Premium Member
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
nvm , got em.

took the tension off the springs.those fuckers got some tension on em lol.when the block came out she almost got my finger. still got the old reflexs.

Reactions: p51mstg

·
Registered
958 Posts
I went to a Polaris dealer and asked them to press off the bearing on the jackshaft and press a new one on. The service guy gave me a funny look and said that as long as it spins okay to leave it alone. He said they avoid replacing those until they fail.

They lost me as a customer with that comment - what a stupid thing to say. Anyway, I was mad enough that I went home, got my angle grinder out and cut the bearing off without damaging the shaft. I then tapped the new bearing on straight. Once even with the shaft, I used a 1 inch ID pipe and a hammer to pound it all the way home.

Not difficult at all, problem solved, and I'll probably never have to do that to that sled again (hopefully, assuming I sell it before it needs another one).

I once lost an entire season due to a seized jackshaft bearing and will never do that again. IMO, I don't care if it spins freely - if I have the thing apart, and it's got 4-5,000 miles on the bearing (which that one did), then it's going to be replaced, period. The All Balls kit is so cheap that it doesn't make sense not to do it.

Just make sure to keep the bearings on the clutch side greased, that's something easily overlooked.

·
Registered
40,287 Posts
I went to a Polaris dealer and asked them to press off the bearing on the jackshaft and press a new one on. The service guy gave me a funny look and said that as long as it spins okay to leave it alone. He said they avoid replacing those until they fail.

They lost me as a customer with that comment - what a stupid thing to say. Anyway, I was mad enough that I went home, got my angle grinder out and cut the bearing off without damaging the shaft. I then tapped the new bearing on straight. Once even with the shaft, I used a 1 inch ID pipe and a hammer to pound it all the way home.

Not difficult at all, problem solved, and I'll probably never have to do that to that sled again (hopefully, assuming I sell it before it needs another one).

I once lost an entire season due to a seized jackshaft bearing and will never do that again. IMO, I don't care if it spins freely - if I have the thing apart, and it's got 4-5,000 miles on the bearing (which that one did), then it's going to be replaced, period. The All Balls kit is so cheap that it doesn't make sense not to do it.

Just make sure to keep the bearings on the clutch side greased, that's something easily overlooked.
Its basically the same our service manager says about the jackshaft bearing...as long as it spins freely and not rough, its ok, just be sure to keep it greased. This guy is one of the best poo techs around the area and now owns the business. Personally i've never replaced them on any of my own sleds. Had nearly 9k miles on my other 05 600, that bearing is still like new. I've always pumped a shot of low temp grease in it after every big ride. Hey if you feel that bearing isn't good or just time to replace it for peace of mind...its ok to.:bc2:

41 - 48 of 48 Posts