Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone; my name is Tom and I'm in Michigan. Quick question; I've been riding and working on 2 Strokes my whole riding history and now in the market to pick up new sled. I was thinking about a two up so my daughter can be more confortable. There are (2) I've had my eye on and wondering if anyone can express their opinions:

2005 Polaris Frontier Touring 50 Year Anniversary with 1800 Miles w/one place trailer for $ 4100.00
or
2008 Polaris FS IQ Touring - About 50 Miles for $ 6500.00

Any thoughts on what is a better deal? Are 4 Strokes any harder to work on? Anything I should be looking for when checking them out? Opinions are apprecated and welcomed! Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have an 04 Frontier touring.
Its a good sled except it for lack of top end.
It takes off good but falls flat after 40 mph, top speed is only 45-50 mph on snow covered trail, 60-65 mph on glare ice.
It is only a 784cc ATV engine and acts accordingly lots of low end but no top, if it ran linear like it starts out to 60-70 it would have made a lot of owners happier as it would have a better cruising speed for groomed trail, as it is its only fun in tight low speed woods trails.
Hp i think is only 56 hp.

The FS Touring is rated at 80 HP so that should work better but i have not tried one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an 04 Frontier touring.
Its a good sled except it for lack of top end.
It takes off good but falls flat after 40 mph, top speed is only 45-50 mph on snow covered trail, 60-65 mph on glare ice.
It is only a 784cc ATV engine and acts accordingly lots of low end but no top, if it ran linear like it starts out to 60-70 it would have made a lot of owners happier as it would have a better cruising speed for groomed trail, as it is its only fun in tight low speed woods trails.
Hp i think is only 56 hp.

The FS Touring is rated at 80 HP so that should work better but i have not tried one.[/b]
Man; only about 70 mph! My wife would then walk me....not sure if I can let that happen

Thanks for your opinions, it will help me in my final decision!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Man; only about 70 mph! My wife would then walk me....not sure if I can let that happen

Thanks for your opinions, it will help me in my final decision![/b]
Not even 70 mph, I wish it did.
Its only 40-45 mph top end in most conditions.
Maybe with clutching mods.
I had a buddy of mine look at it, he rode it and measured where the belt ran and says he could make it work better by tweaking the clutching.
Not sure i want to spend the money on it though.
My Indy-Trail will eat it for top end.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi everyone; my name is Tom and I'm in Michigan. Quick question; I've been riding and working on 2 Strokes my whole riding history and now in the market to pick up new sled. I was thinking about a two up so my daughter can be more confortable. There are (2) I've had my eye on and wondering if anyone can express their opinions:

2005 Polaris Frontier Touring 50 Year Anniversary with 1800 Miles w/one place trailer for $ 4100.00
or
2008 Polaris FS IQ Touring - About 50 Miles for $ 6500.00

Any thoughts on what is a better deal? Are 4 Strokes any harder to work on? Anything I should be looking for when checking them out? Opinions are apprecated and welcomed! Thanks
Tom[/b]

Go with the 2008 they are nice sleds and the top end is about 20mph faster than the 2005. Fuel MPG is good too.
The 2008 should have warranty left as well which is worth some buck$.
I will never buy another 2 stroke. I don't miss the smoke or buying the oil.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go with the 2008 they are nice sleds and the top end is about 20mph faster than the 2005. Fuel MPG is good too.
The 2008 should have warranty left as well which is worth some buck$.
I will never buy another 2 stroke. I don't miss the smoke or buying the oil.[/b]
Thanks a lot guys! i appreciate the opinions. Happy Sleding!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I own a pair of Cat 2 up sleds 4 strokers. They are similar to the frontier units, save perhaps a bit more torque with the 3 piston sled.

I would look around for a good used 2 up cat with a turbo. They don't spool up as well as the FST units, but they get great gas mileage and changing oil and plugs are a snap compared to the Polaris sleds. Top end is in the 90's with the turbo, too. So momma won't be messin with your mind.

These 3 cylinder sleds are rock solid, and highly dependable. I should think that you should be able to find one used in the price range you were looking.

TAke them for a ride, and you will see that the turbo is miles better performing machine. Mileage is similar in both too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts