Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I picked up an 05 xc sp 700 stock with around 2000 miles. I took the advice on the clutching and jetting from pockets which he seems to know his stuff. I installed 64 gram weights from the stock 62 gram, almond blue primary spring from a black & green, 720 team helix on the shallow angle,derlin washers and gutted the box with 420 mains installed,did all of the cable specs and also checked that the slides are going all the way to top. I had my ass handed to me last night by a stock 01 mxz 700 twin from start to finish and my budies 02 xc700 stock beats this thing also. I guess I would like to know if I should go back to stock or what? It runs great and feels strong, but obviously is not.Running 8000 + rpm. I know the team secondary is not the best and I also dont want any big money mods.Just would like a well tuned stocker. Any ideas? Thanks,mike.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Running OVER 8000 RPM?? I don't know about the '05 700s, but I do know my stock '99 700 makes max power @ 7900-8000 RPMs... If you are over your max RPM you may need either more weight (and thus a lower RPM engagement) or more Helix... JMHO... I am sure someone else can confirm this for me

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Should not be happening. Are you spinning badly? What rpm is it running? Stock gears? Also check the motor mounts, and engine torque stop.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should not be happening. Are you spinning badly? What rpm is it running? Stock gears? Also check the motor mounts, and engine torque stop.[/b]
Mounts good,checked. Was on a good hardpack trail,a little spinning but not much.Saw 8000 rpm maybe a little more.Stock gears also.Torque stop is tight. I just dont get it?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mounts good,checked. Was on a good hardpack trail,a little spinning but not much.Saw 8000 rpm maybe a little more.Stock gears also.Torque stop is tight. I just dont get it?[/b]
Will do. Should I just get a 719? Whats the whole part# for these,if at all possible? Thanks

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What would be the best secondary set-up for aggressive trail and lake racing,for this sled w/the current other changes That I posted earlier?Thanks.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I should have double checked my buddies work on the drivin clutch. He has the tool for the spring change. I had him put the derlin washers in it. When he put it back in, he put it on the steep angle,not the shallow that pockets recomended. I would assume thats why it got spanked? Most likely a stock 700 can not pull that angle very well? I noticed this when I removed the 720 to try the stock helix. Is the 719 helix a twin trac? If it is,what angle do I want? Thanks,mike.

·
Banned
2,584 Posts
Ok guys, I picked up an 05 xc sp 700 stock with around 2000 miles. I took the advice on the clutching and jetting from pockets which he seems to know his stuff. I installed 64 gram weights from the stock 62 gram, almond blue primary spring from a black & green, 720 team helix on the shallow angle,derlin washers and gutted the box with 420 mains installed,did all of the cable specs and also checked that the slides are going all the way to top. I had my ass handed to me last night by a stock 01 mxz 700 twin from start to finish and my budies 02 xc700 stock beats this thing also. I guess I would like to know if I should go back to stock or what? It runs great and feels strong, but obviously is not.Running 8000 + rpm. I know the team secondary is not the best and I also dont want any big money mods.Just would like a well tuned stocker. Any ideas? Thanks,mike.[/b]
Pockets knows his stuff, but a 2002 xc 700 was and still is a runner. Fast out of the box.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
That is why it wouldn't run, too much angle. Run the 719 on the shallow angle first, especially if you have the stock track. Make sure the delrin washers are in the right place as well, one under the spring cup, one on each end of the spring. It does have the stock black spring?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Iq,yes he does.That is why I ask him along with a few others that know. When I said "seems" I should Have worded it different.His info on here is invaluable. Pockets, I borrowed his tool and checked everything. Derlin washers are in the correct place and it has a black w/red strip spring in it. The dealer gave me that spring and said it was the new "updated" one. When I thought the new all black one is correct? Anyways, I will put it in on the shallow angle due to stock track w/no studs. Anything else I should do? Thanks a ton pockets,mike.

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
If your running a track with no studs then a 600cc machine with aggressive studs on hard pack would probably spank you no matter what clutching you have. IMO

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
As long as it is LH wound, does not matter if it is all black, or black with red stripe. I would guarantee you were spinning like mad with the 720 helix. I would drop the engagement rpm with a SLP 120/310 primary spring. I thought you had some traction products, or deeper track. Set the RRSS on low, in the hole for maximum weight transfer. Even then, you will not be using all your power, it will be going up in track spin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts