Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a little accident on Saturday. I was climbing out of a drainage ditch and my throttle stuck. It walked the sled almost over backwards when I was comming out. I fell off the sled and it when about a 1/4 mile before smashing into a pole. Now it is time for the repair process. My bulkhead folded a tad bit. By the looks on the pic, can it be pounded out or should I just leave it. Will the bend bulkhead effect the ride at all? Let me know what I should do.

bulkhead
bulkhead 2

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
can you take a couple more a little further away it"s hard to see exactly with so close. I can see the damage but would like a couple more pics

·
Registered
10 Posts
By the look of things I would only consider replacing the bulkhead. Looks like a pretty hard hit, maybe the pic from further out would show more

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Just replace it if no insurance. I had to do the same thing on my 00zr6 two years ago. Not really hard, just time consuming. Also, invest in a tether switch. Later, Sxrlar.

·
Registered
2021 VR1 850, 18 Tiger 8000, 17 RS 6000, 16 ZR 6000, 12 F1100T, 11 EXT 800, 09 Z1 Turbo, 05 ZR 900
10,201 Posts
Bodyshop with a good frame man can straighten that out make it look like new. Or you can buy a new bulkhead assembly about $475.00 and a new side plate brace about $16.00. Kind of hard to tell the extent of the damage your pics are not real clear.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think it needs a new bulkhead. I dunno if i want to get it straightened or just leave it. I don't have collision on it, so I'm going to have to pay for it. My sled has a teather switch but I wasn't wearing it at the time. I thought you couldn't replace the bulkhead because you need the special rivits and tools that they use at the factory?

·
Registered
866 Posts
The only problem with aluminum is repairing it, generally heat and hammering do more harm than good on structural peices it weakens the metal and wont be the same. Nine times out of ten you find more damage when you get into it. Bite the bullet and get a new bulk head. Trust me I crashed my zr 800 cc last year and with the new bulkhead you can't even tell. :)

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
as some of you probably know i replaced the entire chassis this winter when mine buckled when i hit a dip , hard !
some of you will argue this but replacing the front part is not an option, yes it can be done i know, but i would not recommend it .
when cat builds the chassis' they are on a fixture system and cat uses blind rivets that require a hydraulic press system, when replacing the front half you use pop rivets .
cat builds the entire chassis with vin number and all for like 1200 bucks and thats the best way to do it . strength and integrity are still there along with no diminished value . the new chassis comes complete too, its a lot less work and you get a quality repair .
repairing the chassis you have i would never do , its aluminum and once its bent, its bent. yes you could beat it back into shape but aluminum will never regain its strength, ever ! call your insurance company and go that route , thats what i did, and they paid for everything including the re-registering . all you do is have your dealer send back your vin number to cat and they restamp your new chassis and give it the newvin sticker as well ! if you need more info, give me an e-mail ! the pic below is my damaged chassi but what you see is what you get from cat, even the chaincase !

Attachments

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
I would replace it . Especially from a safety standpoint. You cant put a price on piece of mind.At least it,s nearing the end of the season, Or at least where I live that is Mass near boston.
Fortunitley you didn;t get hurt on top of it all .
Hope things work out ok for you Jim !!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts