Hardcore Sledder banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
I learned on sleds that weren't studded, or had carbide runners...just a 1/2 lug track if that, and steel round bars for runners with steel skis. Never took a chitter, but had some interesting moments. One day i rode with some snowmobile guys after they asked me to tag along. Boy did i get a lesson in traction, and control. These guys were all studded. All i had was a 76 5000 eltigre with a metal cleated track, and round bar skags. We crossed a local pond that was bare ice. Those guys laughed their butt off at me doing helicopters on the ice trying to make it to the other shore. I never gave them the pleasure of not flipping the sled. Once back on the trails i kept up. My next sled got studs, and so did everyone after that. All i can say was a major major improvement. Felt i could do no wrong.
Yeah thats why I threw in the comment on cleated tracks.I took some wild rides on my 74 400 “track tuned” cat

·
Registered
2022 Polaris Indy Matryx 850 VR1 137
201 Posts
I ride the same area as the OP (cottage in Townsend).... I'd personally run 6 inch snow studs double downs or snipers... I noticed last season my Sniper's did not last as long as the Double Downs in the same length... I can usually run 2500-3000 miles on a set of Snow Studs carbides.. I've got plenty of connections to some vendors that carry them and can ship them to your door if you're interested. On my 22 Matryx 850 I run dual 8 snow studs brand but I'm also studded with 1.5s in the track.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I ride the same area as the OP (cottage in Townsend).... I'd personally run 6 inch snow studs double downs or snipers... I noticed last season my Sniper's did not last as long as the Double Downs in the same length... I can usually run 2500-3000 miles on a set of Snow Studs carbides.. I've got plenty of connections to some vendors that carry them and can ship them to your door if you're interested. On my 22 Matryx 850 I run dual 8 snow studs brand but I'm also studded with 1.5s in the track.
Had already ordered the Deuces but will consider these next time. Now deciding to replace the rubbers or not, need to inspect them next time up there. One sled has 4200 miles and the other a bit over 2300 or so maybe. Both are OEM original. If they need replacing I will get the Bergstrom ones with shims built in.

·
Registered
47,607 Posts
Those double downs are similar to the woody doolys, or slim jims, and those suck imo. The dual runners tend to clog between them making them useless in certain conditions. The deuce bars won't do that.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I hear people mention carbides clogging. I guess it can vary with riding conditions, but I have not had issues.
There is a big contrast with dual carbides. I consider them quite different. Handling and wear characteristics vary quite a bit on the same sled without changing setup.
The width between carbides is notable. (I've included the single for stock comparison.)
Wood Font Office supplies Soil Metal

Profile and height are different.
Glove Wood Gesture Sculpture Hardwood

I'll let the gang guess which carbides are shown in those pics.

Maybe I'm a fool, but I'm always looking for something better. I like to test products and see what works better. Multiple sleds side by side and one is always stock for baseline comparison. Carbides are easy to swap and compare.

There are a lot of variables with carbides. Rider opinion and preference are key variables. Conditions are a big factor that ties into those two.
Opinions vary.
I ride with a guy that would be happy with a chunk of flat steel. I'd go nuts. It also brings up one of the things I love about this sport. We have a lot of options. Carbide choice is one. It is not going to be the same answer for each rider.

·
Registered
47,607 Posts
I hear people mention carbides clogging. I guess it can vary with riding conditions, but I have not had issues.
There is a big contrast with dual carbides. I consider them quite different. Handling and wear characteristics vary quite a bit on the same sled without changing setup.
The width between carbides is notable. (I've included the single for stock comparison.)
View attachment 2134542
Profile and height are different.
View attachment 2134543
I'll let the gang guess which carbides are shown in those pics.

Maybe I'm a fool, but I'm always looking for something better. I like to test products and see what works better. Multiple sleds side by side and one is always stock for baseline comparison. Carbides are easy to swap and compare.

There are a lot of variables with carbides. Rider opinion and preference are key variables. Conditions are a big factor that ties into those two.
Opinions vary.
I ride with a guy that would be happy with a chunk of flat steel. I'd go nuts. It also brings up one of the things I love about this sport. We have a lot of options. Carbide choice is one. It is not going to be the same answer for each rider.
I've found using dual carbide systems, the wider these carbide are spaced from one another on that host plate, the worse they clog, and try to bite for cornering as you pick up speed. The upside is they completely eliminate any darting.
As far as deuce bars, I haven't replace mine in years. On these edge skis, their a pita to bend, so they correctly fit the contour of the ski....maybe stud boy has that issue corrected by now idk.
I guess if you ride at moderate speeds, and can't put up with any darting, the dual runner systems like woodys would be ok for you. I always wanted to feel 100% feedback when i ride with no surprises entering a corner hot, the deuce bars just work better. I've run both of all sizes back to back on various trips, thats just my take.

·
Registered
2021 XCR Switchback 850
2,640 Posts
Only seen this once… the sled handled so poorly immediately he thought he broke something. Obviously not stuck in the carbide, but crazy it got picked up. It took a large screw driver and a hammer to get this rock off the ski.
Cloud Flash photography Sky Automotive lighting Knee

21 - 27 of 27 Posts