Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checking my F7 over for a trip this week and I find another missing idler wheel. I replaced two bearings last week and checked them all at that point. Now I will have to do without the wheel on this trip as no dealer around here has one in stock. Running 80 weight in the chaincase seems to be working there and has cut down on the leak. Still no topend though... lucky to get over 90mph on a good day. :angry:

·
Registered
997 Posts
Have you rebuilt your clutch yet? How about a new primary and secondary spring while your at it. I assume you have already changed your belt ?? What rpm are you running any loss there?? Valves working properly ??

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Rob just a thought.... did you check the reeds?
I said in your post last week all factory bearings from ANY sled manufacturer are junk. After the first season on a new sled I put new aftermarket ones in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no, I didn't check the reeds.. I will break down and bring it in to the dealer for a thorough checkup next week after my trip.

I haven't had to replace any idler wheels in many years.. These new, thin bearings used on the FC are not very durable.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Maybe the thickness is a issue Rob. I will know more after the season when I do the breakdown of the skid. The bearings I have had great luck with are blue?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Rob, you mentioned changing oil weight in the chain case. Mine is leaking from the backside. Was this the case for yours as well?? If so, what does changing the weight do?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Doze00F7@Mar 3 2003, 03:36 PM
Rob, you mentioned changing oil weight in the chain case. Mine is leaking from the backside. Was this the case for yours as well?? If so, what does changing the weight do?
yes, mine was leaking from the backside also. The 80 weight stopped 95% of the leak. This is an old fix I have used many times. I'm sure it has more friction and robs horsepower, but it is the quickest and easiest cure for a leaking chaincase that I know of. 80 weight will certainly protect the chain and gears.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I've fixed mine once so far this season, might have to try that. Although, I don't like robbing hp.!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Rob. has the loss of power at top end effected your overall fuel economy?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Walt Ermansons@Mar 3 2003, 07:00 PM
Rob. has the loss of power at top end effected your overall fuel economy?
No, my overall mileage is still around 14-15mpg. The problem seems to be isolated to >7000rpm. And I've checked everything connected to the APVs and servo motor a million times.. RPM from a standing start is nomal, ~7950rpm, and slowly drops to ~7550 on top end (if you could call 90mph top end). Everything with the clutching has been checked and/or replaced.

·
Registered
64 Posts
rob whats your compression? if everthing else is ok it is worth checking. One experience i had was the primary clutch spring, everything looked good but spring was weak, even some new ones are weak after they take a set. i am sure you know that the primary is was will control your rpms. Good Luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by kingsnow@Mar 3 2003, 07:17 PM
rob whats your compression? if everthing else is ok it is worth checking. One experience i had was the primary clutch spring, everything looked good but spring was weak, even some new ones are weak after they take a set. i am sure you know that the primary is was will control your rpms. Good Luck
compression is good at 135lbs both cylinders, pipes been off numerous times, pistons are perfect.. Primary spring has been replaced with no change.

I will be bringing it back to the dealer nest week and expecting some real answers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Rob - just a thought. Since you have been having bearing problems with idler wheels, what's the possibility that you have drive axle or return idler bearing issues? Does your track turn freely when the sled is on a stand? I had a 700 Wildcat years back that lost top-end, the fix was drive axle bearings. The seal is leaking on the back of your chaincase - maybe there is a relationship (although the chaincase side bearing rarely is a problem)?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Rob I noticed my chaincase leaking also andIused the 80w oil in there for a temerary fix and I lost 10 mph on the lake. It ran 114 sat and 104 sat afternoon same conditions. So i'am guessing oil is slowing you down. I sealed my top chaincase bearing up with silicone went back to ac chaincase oil and back up to 114 hope this helps

·
Registered
132 Posts
Rob, chaincase bearings top and bottom are cracking on outer surface w/ the new type groove cut for O ring , My lower one went at 700 miles .The 440 SP. got new updated ones because of failures .AC still are issueing old ones for consumer units at least when it happened to me a while back. It slows sled first symptom w/oil leak

1 - 18 of 18 Posts