Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Edge Fuji 800 Triple Star
699 Posts
That photo is a lake racer setup, 3/8” penetration + for attacking ice. As you get longer they’ll have less support for deflection/debris from terrain/roads trail riding.

1.125” track, 1.725 OAL-1.375” effective

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Is that the 1.6" single ply track? I have that track and the studs I added are the SnowStuds B86 1.625" using the large 1.6" backer and 3/4" tall nuts.

The studs in that sled with the short nuts are going to bend like crazy.

·
Premium Member
18,450 Posts
I run trail studs all the time that have 7/16 to 3/4" penetration. The trick is to use double backers and tall nuts. Keep them all in the center belt. 180-192 is a minimum amount also. 240 is even better. Never have any tear outs or bent ones. 1 1/4" track, 1.575" studs. At least 1/2" penetration. Here's my 2019 Indy 850
setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
44,186 Posts
I use as many double backers as possible with 60 degree carbide studs with 3/8'' penetration for trails. Seem to hold up extremely well. Steel picks, or chisels for ice depending on the ice hardness..

·
Premium Member
20,462 Posts
It’s all about using your brain. I’ve put 15k miles (combined) on ten different sleds running studs with no less than 1/2” penetration. I prefer 5/8”. I’ve put 3k on sleds running 3/4” penetration. Don’t bend many. But I install them, make the pattern, keep them tight, and don’t ride like an idiot.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
I use as many double backers as possible with 60 degree carbide studs with 3/8'' penetration for trails. Seem to hold up extremely well. Steel picks, or chisels for ice depending on the ice hardness..
The double backers are great for traction.Ive stopped recommending them though(for trail use) because when a double backer comes out you they really wreck some shit.I see a lot of singles come out without much damage but when the doubles come out its like a circular saw on the tunnel and heat exchanger.Every time somebody brings me a sled leaking coolant and I see doubles Im afraid to look underneath.Its no joke changing a front heat exchanger on the newer sleds.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts

·
Registered
44,186 Posts
The double backers are great for traction.Ive stopped recommending them though(for trail use) because when a double backer comes out you they really wreck some shit.I see a lot of singles come out without much damage but when the doubles come out its like a circular saw on the tunnel and heat exchanger.Every time somebody brings me a sled leaking coolant and I see doubles Im afraid to look underneath.Its no joke changing a front heat exchanger on the newer sleds.
I only run gold digger studs...never lost one, ever. You pretty much follow their stud guide, and you shouldn't have any. Its guys that put way too long a stud for trails, mismatch stud components, or use cheap backers that have all the issues.

·
Registered
792 Posts
whats the point of running studs with 3/4 penetration,sounds like nothing but trouble.they say 1/4 to 3/8. i do3/8 and i worry about my bulk head.destroy one of those and your in for alot of work

·
Registered
44,186 Posts
big traction isn’t for everybody. It’s the Spinning, that causes issues and damage. Enough studs, (big enough studs) and a good suspension setup, minimize spinning.
Yes but it depends also on your snow conditions. Thin snow conditions compiled with bony trail conditions underneath with tear the chit out of a track with studs too long. Learned my lesson here many years ago.

·
Premium Member
20 850 Assault and 21 Indy XC 650 137
3,333 Posts
The other major problem with bent, broken or missing studs is lack of right thumb control!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts