Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know what this is on the airbox?One hose goes to the carb and another to the engine. Mine is off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's a carb heater. When it's on it circulates coolant around the carbs to keep them from freezing up. Some people turn it on when it's really cold or when playing in powder. Others never turn it on because in warmer temps they claim it can cause the sled to feel a little boggie. I really only use it when it's below zero. Regardless, you should try to turn it once in awhile to keep it from getting stuck in one position, it can seize up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So do you think I should have it on, the temp around here is between 10 and 30 degrees is it fine off?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Completely up to you. I have a friend who never turned his on in the 9000 miles he owned his, didn't ever seem to have a problem. Like I said before, I only use mine when it's below 0 and seriously have no idea if it helps or not but figure at that temp it can't hurt.

Congrats on the redhead by the way! Is it the 600 or 700, cant tell from the pic?

·
Registered
160 Posts
My old rev mxz500ss had carb heaters. Almost 9k miles when I sold it and never turned them off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Completely up to you. I have a friend who never turned his on in the 9000 miles he owned his, didn't ever seem to have a problem. Like I said before, I only use mine when it's below 0 and seriously have no idea if it helps or not but figure at that temp it can't hurt.

Congrats on the redhead by the way! Is it the 600 or 700, cant tell from the pic?
Completely up to you. I have a friend who never turned his on in the 9000 miles he owned his, didn't ever seem to have a problem. Like I said before, I only use mine whe
It the 600 redhead. With 9500 miles on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since you seem like a yamaha guy, do you know we're to put chaincase oil in on the 1999 sxr 600. I was used to a Ski doo but can't find it on this sled.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You need to fill it at the dipstick. Probably need to remove your stock can to get to it unless you have a long flexible funnel. In that pic you can also see the chain tensioner bolt. To set that, just back off the jam nut then finger tighten the long bolt and then back it out 1/2 turn. Retighten the jam nut and good to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thank you. Do you know of anything else I should be aware with this sled just got, so I want it to last. Its a pretty powerful sled compared to the 2003 ski doo skandic 500 I was use to.

·
Premium Member
4,515 Posts
The coolant in the carb only circulates around the intake bell. It is there to keep the air bleed jets from icing over due to moisture from ingested snow dust. I never saw a difference either way so I just left them on. If the jets ice up, it will run pig rich and foul plugs. Or it will run fine one day then after sitting outside overnight it won't start the next morning

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The coolant in the carb only circulates around the intake bell. It is there to keep the air bleed jets from icing over due to moisture from ingested snow dust. I never saw a difference either way so I just left them on. If the jets ice up, it will run pig rich and foul plugs. Or it will run fine one day then after sitting outside overnight it won't start the next morning
Ok nice to know, I think I'll just leave them own then. I did some testing today and didn't notice a difference, so I guess it's fine to leave on.

·
Premium Member
4,515 Posts
Yep its fine but as another poster noted be sure to cycle the valve occasionally or it will end up on forever lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don't want to nitpick but I guess I am! Is the sticker on the right side tunnel still there which states the date of manufacture? The reason I ask is because you stated earlier that it was a '99 sxr600, but the sxr didn't come out till 2000. For '97-'99 it was an sx600. That's important because the sxr's had long travel suspension and shocks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't want to nitpick but I guess I am! Is the sticker on the right side tunnel still there which states the date of manufacture? The reason I ask is because you stated earlier that it was a '99 sxr600, but the sxr didn't come out till 2000. For '97-'99 it was an sx600. That's important because the sxr's had long travel suspension and i
Don't want to nitpick but I guess I am! Is the sticker on the right side tunnel still there which states the date of manufacture? The reason I ask is because you stated earlier that it was a '99 sxr600, but the sxr didn't come out till 2000. For '97-'99 it was an sx600. That's important because the sxr's had long travel suspension and shocks.
I do believe it says 99 ill post a pic tomorrow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just as an example my 2001 says manufactured in Japan 8/00, meaning it was made August 2000 for the 2001 model year.

·
Registered
168 Posts
In just about every vehicle industry the date of manufacture written on the machine is always a year behind whichever model year the vehicle is. If you have a 2000 yamaha SXR it was made in 1999, if you had an 03 it would have been made in 02.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In just about every vehicle industry the date of manufacture written on the machine is always a year behind whichever model year the vehicle is. If you have a 2000 yamaha SXR it was made in 1999, if you had an 03 it would have been made in 02.
Ok that makes more sense.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts