Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
i use 96 but i did mine a different patteren. i can't remeber but i think every 6 or 7th lug i put one on the outside of the track. when you put studs in the middle they do not get as much bite. the outside studs always wear out first. anymore then 96 with that size sled would slow it down. i get great traction. but i have not been on that much ice either. up to you.

·
Registered
344 Posts
they say and tell you to run the studs down the middle. well atleast for 96 i think 144 some go on the outside 196 alot more go on the out side. look up stud patterens on the internet. i have found some. it would atleast give you a idea. i made my owen patteren.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Whats wrong with running them on the outside. Whats the top speed on the vector with your 144 studs?[/b]
rule of thumb for studding is 1 stud per hp. when running them in the outer belt they tend to tear out easier there. you will loose about 6-8 mph with 144 studs

·
Registered
58 Posts
Last year I put half trail picks in and half chisel tooth picks I thought it worked great racing on the plowed lakes it would really grip and go had to put new track on this year and put 192 chisels in. Might get on some ice this weekend

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
Whats wrong with running them on the outside. Whats the top speed on the vector with your 144 studs?[/b]

rule of thumb for studding is 1 stud per hp. when running them in the outer belt they tend to tear out easier there. you will loose about 6-8 mph with 144 studs[/b]
I put 144 on my vector. 3 studs per line, 2 in the middle, 1 on alternating outside.

Flat out without studs, I saw a best of 114 on my dream-o-meter. This past weekend, I saw 113 with the studs. You make up your mind...

·
Registered
671 Posts
I put 210 woodys 1.450 megabites down the middle and I still spin alot[/b]
you do realize you can over stud the middle of the track. there is no way all 210 studs are doing something, what i mean is you can only carve out so much ice, that is why you are spinning. how the hell did u get 210 in there anyway???

·
Registered
71 Posts
What number gets the best hook up in the vector, rage and the apex, well all the 4 strokers?[/b]
I am presently running 144 in the center 3 every rung, but am going to 196 adding 52 to the outside every third or forth rung is solid with no track windows. Put 2 more 1 on each side on these solid windows it should hook up then. I am using 1.7 inch studs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've always run 144 on 121" tracks for trail riding without even thinking about it. Until last year, when I puked green from the tunnel of an '03 RX1 after a run up a long straight. It was an outside pic that flexed it's way loose and tore into the heat exchanger. We found a old Quebec'ee dude to stay up late and get her going again (new track, welded & pressure tested the aluminum) and I did the next two days with no pics, which is how a lot of locals go up there (very slippery). But then I fell in love with 96 up the middle, where there's less flex and wear.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I run 96 down the center with 6 scratch lines or more. I don't use a template. I also put 1.45 woodys in. They hook up awesome, but with marginal snow, don't peg it. I have replaced 15 studs so far this year and ALL my backers from square to round. I will add 48 more? Still debating it. As you have read on this thread, you can over stud your track and actually make your sled less likely to hook up. Pay attention to the scratch lines you will make. 6-8 ? And the type riding you do. Trail? drag? 5/16 woodys, or stud boy are all good. I ran 48 studs last year, just to stop and always took off easy. Well I tried that for awhile, but didn't buy the RTX to ride slow. LOL My wifes Vector has 48 1.45 studs, just to hook up when braking, she is just a cruiser. Cool too! So it's your choice, just don't get carried away with studs as some do, it will not benefit you as much as you think, once you exceed 144. Good luck!!!!!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I run 120 mega-bites and hook up great. I get a good scratch pattern. But i am running 1.410 on an 1.250 track. Thats measured from bottom of track to the tallest lug. The only problem I had was i was hitting the exhaust brackets. So I installed .250 x 1 inch aluminum bar to the bottom of the tunnel protectors. Using the exsisting holes and rivet to the tunnel protector. the overall bar length was 38 inches. That cured the problem.

In my opinion and studies found that studding on the outside of the track improves straight line traction, but hinders corning. Also the outside of the track is weaker then the center. Ever blow a track at 95 mph. I have without studs. Emagine the damage if the outside was studded. The center of the track is stronger and corning is improved as well as braking. If you over stud a track you will affect performance, as it will if you under pick which may not make any difference for braking on icer conditions. So before you pick your sled read tech info from wholsalers and manufactures of the studs. Learn the difference how to measure for the right length of a stud. And stay away from plastic backers, they do not hold up, aluminum is much better. The studs stay tighter even if the loosen up a little.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts