Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that we are going to Canada, what is the best way to lock your ride, understanding that we have limited room for locks

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
So now that we are going to Canada, what is the best way to lock your ride, understanding that we have limited room for locks

Thanks![/b]
If you have two sleds, each one of you bring one of those super thick cable type Kryponite locks. Then park the sleds side to side, one facing forward, one facing backwards. Lock the trailing arms or A-arms of each sled to the other sleds skid somehow. At least now they can't drag the sleds away. That is probably your best defense without indoor, locked storage.

Just be warned... I have ridden Canada only about 6 times in my life, and 2 of those times my party has gotten TOTALLY ripped off. Last time was the kicker, a brand new 3 place inline trailer with two brand new (zero mile) Polaris sleds got stolen along with the 4 month old Dodge Durango that was pulling it. So that was basically a $60,000 weekend for us. I will never, ever, EVER ride Canada again without knowing that I have indoor, locked storage for both my vehicle and my sled. Even then I wouldn't sleep easy as the people who own the establishments are rumored to be in on the take... FWIW, we were so careful that we removed the distributor cap from the Durango and tripple locked the trailer and the sleds inside (becasue we had been ripped two years prior) and they still got it. Anything you do up there just makes it a little harder for them, they are professionals who prey on tourists- it's a buisness up there.

On the up side, it's amazing riding! Just sleep on your sled!

·
Registered
682 Posts
What is up with Canada?? I always thought they were all cool people up there....guess not. i have heard nothing but horror stories about stolen sleds and trucks. W T F ?!!

SMITH & WESSON

Enough said!

·
Registered
653 Posts
always keep your cross hairs lined up with the back door of your trailer. :uzi:

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
What is up with Canada?? I always thought they were all cool people up there....guess not. i have heard nothing but horror stories about stolen sleds and trucks. W T F ?!!
SMITH & WESSON

Enough said![/b]
I thought it was all a bunch of people crying wolf, then in 2003 we went to Quebec and both our sleds were stolen from the hotel we were staying at. I chalked it up to bad luck, and still went back 2 years ago, no big deal, just take some percautions and yet the Durango get's lifted, trailer, sleds and all.

One of the guys was packing- what good does that do? You gonna take turns sleeping and take watch out the window of your room all night? That sounds like a fun vacation... fuck that, I'm never going back to Canada again unless it's a day trip.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Buy an Arctic Cat[/b]
I hate to brand bash, but funny thing you say that... a guy working in one of the hotels said that a lot of people up there buy Arctic Cat covers for thier Ski-Doo, Polaris, Yamahas becasue no one steals them. Honestly, that is what this local said.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I wouldn't lock the trailing arms .. 1 bolt usually takes the trailing arm off the sled . I would go thru the track or skid somehow. I have a bike cable lock that is pretty thick and rubber coated with a lock built in. If its a Single sled you could just go around the inside/outside of the track, and lock it .. it will bind in the tunnel, No way to keep it from getting it sucked in.

But then again ... If they want it they will get it... Bolt Cutters only take seconds to cut wether it be chain or cable.

·
Registered
255 Posts
i have one of those huge chains that you cant even use a grinder on. i lock my sled and my buddys sled to the front tow loop on my frod f250. have fun trying to drive my truck with 2 sleds dangleing on the front

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
We wired some motion detectors in and around trailer and truck and put the box of the alarm in our condo. It may help, may not, but we were able to sleep with ease anyways.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Certain places have more issues and others are not bad. Close to Quebec CIty and Montreal you want to take extra precautions. I know people who have had truck/trailer sleds taken from Quebec Inn, the Arnold in St Georges and the universal in RDL.

cover your VIN on the truck, dealership insiders can get your keycode with it and just drive off. don't leave sleds on trailer lock them in the sled corrall if there is one with other sleds.
Lock sleds together through the A-arm and bumper with good quality cable lock and take your key out of the sled
Aprk outside your room if possible, make sure room faces sled parking area if not
have insurance
leave nothing of value in truck or trailer
pull fuel pump relays but a good thief carries them so it's not a guarantee

If possible I'd leave my truck in the states, if not make sure the hotel has a good pen with cameras and theres actually a full surround, the Arnold for example has at least 2 ways out of the locked area

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I've got a hole drilled through the belly pan on the clutch side. (good way to lock it)

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
We wired some motion detectors in and around trailer and truck and put the box of the alarm in our condo. It may help, may not, but we were able to sleep with ease anyways.[/b]
This is the only kind of security I would trust. Something that would wake me up and get me out there.

jmlampert, if you think that would save you from getting robbed, guess again. Any kind of lock is useless. Even so, I wouldn't doubt they would drive around with two sleds hanging from the front of the truck. What do they care? The cops are in on it too. Think about what happened to us. We had a brand new Dodge Durango with a chipped key and a truck that had the distributor cap removed and in the room with us. We were prepared for this. So these theives were able to get a key for the vehicle using the vin on the dash (another piece of advice- cover your vin with paper or something when it is parked) in the middle of the night- which takes someone at a dealership being in on the game. Then they either had or got a distributor cap and put it in. All between the hours of midnight and 5 am. The thieves up there are bold and DAMN GOOD, and unless you sleep in your truck or on top of your sled you don't stand a chance.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Certain places have more issues and others are not bad. Close to Quebec CIty and Montreal you want to take extra precautions. I know people who have had truck/trailer sleds taken from Quebec Inn, the Arnold in St Georges and the universal in RDL.

cover your VIN on the truck, dealership insiders can get your keycode with it and just drive off. don't leave sleds on trailer lock them in the sled corrall if there is one with other sleds.
Lock sleds together through the A-arm and bumper with good quality cable lock and take your key out of the sled
Aprk outside your room if possible, make sure room faces sled parking area if not
have insurance
leave nothing of value in truck or trailer
pull fuel pump relays but a good thief carries them so it's not a guarantee

If possible I'd leave my truck in the states, if not make sure the hotel has a good pen with cameras and theres actually a full surround, the Arnold for example has at least 2 ways out of the locked area[/b]
The place we stayed a few years before was the best. The owner actually admits that a lot of the inn owners are on the take, and even admits that he has been pressured to work with the theives. But this guy has a long driveway that every single night he plows a 25' high pile of snow in front of the driveway. There is no going in or out, but you are safe, that is for sure.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Arctic cat cover for a ski-doo or polaris.......that is some funny shit right there!
I haven't laughed that hard in a long time......what ever works i guess.

·
Registered
56 Posts
BOY That trip sounds Fantastic! Can I come?

Truck, Trailer and Sled Stolen in 1 night .......

WTF would I do the rest of the trip ... LOL

·
Registered
48 Posts
The place we stayed a few years before was the best. The owner actually admits that a lot of the inn owners are on the take, and even admits that he has been pressured to work with the theives. But this guy has a long driveway that every single night he plows a 25' high pile of snow in front of the driveway. There is no going in or out, but you are safe, that is for sure.[/b]
Jesus, I had no idea it was like that up there.

·
Registered
117 Posts
BOY That trip sounds Fantastic! Can I come?

Truck, Trailer and Sled Stolen in 1 night .......
WTF would I do the rest of the trip ... LOL[/b]
Dude....come on. Nudie bars. Blunts, bitches & 40's. :cheer:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts