Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to buy one before Feb. 8 for big trip . Do they make one that you can put the MI. trails in . Nice to have 3am when your lost . :wacko:

·
Registered
244 Posts
you might want to check out the Magellan's at www.megellangps.com i'm not sure if you can download the trails but there are topo maps that you could use to make your own maps. or try e-trex they seem to have a decent one also.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I put some research into this before the sled season. The new Magellens vs. Etrex. If you go on Garmins(Etrex) website you can actually see there topo maps. The E trex has one up vs the Magellen. It shows you your top trip speed. THe Magellens are upgradable which the etrex isnt. You can add more memory to them. The memory they take is standard memory that can be bought at any computer store so its cheap. The Magellen had definetly better hardware. Software wise I dont know who is better because I cant see Magellen's maps on the internet. I can tell you the Etrex has many snowmobile maps load in to them (logging roads, some trails, and rail roads). If you didnt care about "top speed" i would get the Magellen. On both you can make your own maps, but you have to go down the trail to record it. Some die hard snomobilers post their own maps on the net so you can download them. Keep in mind those maps are not backwards compatible between brands.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Santa got me a Magellan for Christmas last year and I have been very happy with it. Santa told me that a lot of research was done prior to the delivery. :D

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
To try and be a little more helpful-I have not downloaded any trip maps into it-I usually set a waypoint (truck/trailhead etc) and then just use it to give me a general indicator of the way I have to head back. I also use it alot for elevation (out of curiosity) and time. What's nice though is that it has all major Highways and alot of Secondary roads programmed into it already, so between that and a trail map it is usually pretty easy to figure out whereabouts you are.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have the magellan 330M. So far I really like it. It came with a CD which I was able to download a more detailed map of my local ride area (Northern MN near Itasca State Park) I was amazed at the detail. I previously lived in and still ride in this area for over 30 years. There were roads and streams marked that I thought were only "local knowledge" as in I've never seem them on any map. Any way it does work great. My buddy and brother have the Garmin E-trex and they work well also. They do have the top speed recall feature which mine does not. Either one will help get you home if you are lost. The key thing to do is to set your start point as a way point and you are set. KEYPOINT: Keep it in an inside pocket to keep the batteries warm!

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
A bunch of buddies and myself are looking at the rhino 120.
This one has a built in walky talky, so when my buds get lost I can call em up.
If you dont need the walky talky take a look at the legend.
NOt sure how much you wanna spend but these two are reasonable.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've got a Garmin GPS II Plus...they're cheap (i paid $100 last spring from boatersworld.com) and it works pretty good. I use it for quad'ing mostly. I took it out on the sled 2 times and the batteries went dead in 4 or less hours both times. Even tried throwing a heat pack in the bag with it. I haven't tried lithium batteries yet, they usually work pretty good at below freezing temps.
Whatever you get make sure you get an external power source cord. Or you will have to ride with it in you pocket and hopefully it will last

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
does your unit work indoors? i bought the magellan sporttrax pro and it wouldnt work. it would just sit there with an hourglass shape and said searchin sattelite. so i took it back and got my money back. i wonder if it was just because i was indoors?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've got a Sporttrak Pro and it does not work indoors. However if I place it near a window it will pick up a signal. That is normal for any GPS I think. My Dad's Garmin GPSIII does the same thing as well.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
gps signal may work inside, if you only have a wooden roof. the signal will not pass through metal. And yes, it might work near a window.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
ok i bought the sportrack pro back from walfart. yes it works outside. this thing is cool. i bought the mapsend topo software for it also. i mapped out a snowmobile trail with waypoints on my computer and downloaded it to the gps. did i mention how cool this thing is? the software is damn pricey though. i see there is a $50 rebate if you buy both so i will have to get in on that. the magellan sportrak so far is highly recommended.

·
Registered
191 Posts
garmin gpsMap76s The best! shows many of the trails and all county,state forest and more roads! you will never need a trail map again! :D about $450.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would seriously look at an E-trex Legend or Vista. Has complete mapping etc.. I paid $360 CAN, taxes and shipping included for a Legend which is about $225 US. The thing even reads when it is in your pocket.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have the Etrex Legend and I love it. I have it hooked up to a gel cell 12 volt battery that I carry in my map bag and put the etrex under the plastic so it gets good reception. This will work for days without needing a recharge.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Garmin all the way....GarminMap76S, shows you everything! by far the best out there!!! I looked and looked before I bought the GarminMap76S, and I`m very happy with it! :wub:

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
i am really getting fond of my magellan sportrak pro. it is capable of topography (with mapsend topo software, which i bought). the altimeter feature is great and it has a speedo on it that is dead nuts accurate with my vehicles. i bought it from walmart for $267.00 and for the features it has it would be hard to beat in the $300 range. i wish it had a button cover though.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I would take a look at this website. I haven't used it for a while, but it has great articles that help you decide what you need in a GPS unit. I personally would make sure it had mapping features.

GPS Information

1 - 20 of 24 Posts