Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its a '93 indy xlt 580, should I use regular or premium gas and pretty much all stations are now ethanol blend will that be a problem or should I just wing-it.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
I always use 93 just to give me more of a safeguard against detonation. Especially if you buy gas from some mom 'n pop gas station in the middle of nowhere, who knows how old that gas is and what kind of quality it is.
I always run 93 in mine and keep the octane switch set to "regular".

·
Registered
47 Posts
I always use 93 just to give me more of a safeguard against detonation. Especially if you buy gas from some mom 'n pop gas station in the middle of nowhere, who knows how old that gas is and what kind of quality it is.
I always run 93 in mine and keep the octane switch set to "regular".[/b]
So you run premium but do not select the premium mode - what is the advantage to this? I have never tried it but you have my curiosity.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
So you run premium but do not select the premium mode - what is the advantage to this? I have never tried it but you have my curiosity.[/b]
The higher octane of the fuel makes it more difficult to ignite making it less prone to detonation (pre ignition by compression) The switch alters the timing to take advantage of the premium fuel and produce more power but if the octane has dropped due to old fuel you risk detonation again. By not using the switch you'll theoretically use a little more fuel, develop a little less power(Probably not noticable) but keep your engine safe from detonation.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The higher octane of the fuel makes it more difficult to ignite making it less prone to detonation (pre ignition by compression) The switch alters the timing to take advantage of the premium fuel and produce more power but if the octane has dropped due to old fuel you risk detonation again. By not using the switch you'll theoretically use a little more fuel, develop a little less power(Probably not noticable) but keep your engine safe from detonation.[/b]
Thanks!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I always run 93 in mine and keep the octane switch set to "regular".[/b]
Uh? But mine is a '93 xlt 580, would it have a switch like that ? If it does ,I don't know about it & if it don't then i guess i don't have to worry about that part and just stick with the higher octane.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have a '94 XLT running SLP pipes and use regular unleaded and Polaris non-VES injector oil and the engine runs very well. It has over 5k miles on it and I don't baby it. Check your jetting, make sure the injection pump is set right and you should be fine with regular fuel.

There is no regular/premium switch on the older carbureted XLT sleds.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I run similar sleds to yours and have always used regular fuel with no problem. Over 12,000 miles between 2 sleds. Ethanol blend has not been an issue - in fact, it has an advantage in that I don't need to put in isopropyl alchohol when using ethanol blend. These sleds are somewhat detuned and therefore a bit more forgiving.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well thats good to hear. I topped it up with premium cause when I bought the sled in the spring it was only used about 6 times in the last 3 winters and only had about a gallon of gas in it, so far it runs great, had it out 2 days ago. This sled has just over 2900 mi on it.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
i use regular becuase theres more chance of gettin water in your fuel if you buy pemium becuase less people buy it so it sits in the tanks longer

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well once this tank is done ,I'll top up with regular. I got some of that Polaris fuel conditioner which i heard good things about and i'll put some of that in there as well, anybody else use that stuff. I figured it couldn't hurt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts