Hardcore Sledder banner

41 - 60 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
My dealer rode the sled and if it is what he says the sled is the SW is going to be a big hit. Smooth like an Apex, much faster than the Apex need he say more. He actually did!!!

:buttrock::buttrock::buttrock::fistpump2::fistpump2:

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
first the name.. viper is a snake... sidewinder is slang for a rattlesnake... it fits the snake name theme. as for the price you must not looked at apex pricing recently. new ones are outrageous for outdated tech. if there are bumps in the trail it rides HORRIBLE. now you have a superior chassis with a more reasonable price for the performance it gives. why don't you all just say I don't want to spend that much on a sled. you do know they sell srx now? go out and buy one of those but we might have to throw a tow rope to you if you want to do 20 mph!

·
Registered
453 Posts
first the name.. viper is a snake... sidewinder is slang for a rattlesnake... it fits the snake name theme. as for the price you must not looked at apex pricing recently. new ones are outrageous for outdated tech. if there are bumps in the trail it rides HORRIBLE. now you have a superior chassis with a more reasonable price for the performance it gives. why don't you all just say I don't want to spend that much on a sled. you do know they sell srx now? go out and buy one of those but we might have to throw a tow rope to you if you want to do 20 mph!
What are :blahblah1: about

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
sidewinder

Lil early to call things??....

It's a prototype.
Production versions will tell the tale...and only after some actual consumer miles.

I don't have any doubt Yamaha got the engine right. It will be strong and reliable.
Has the chassis and drivetrain been addressed to deal with the motor?? is a bigger question??

Shitty name.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sidewinder snowball

My own personal opinion is that Yamaha dropped the snowball on this one. I love Yamaha and am a very loyal customer, but the Sidewinder is on the same SRV chassis as the Viper. Which is a good thing, but what I disagree with is why make it only 180 horsepower? Some people might say things like " why would you need more" or " thats a great chassis", which I agree it is a great chassis. But why would anyone buy this new sled at the astronomical cost, when you can do what I did a week ago, and buy a brand new Viper for $9000 and put a high quality turbo on it for $2500-$3000, and only be into it $11-$12k and have the same horsepower and chassis. Here's a tip Yamaha, you are an excellent company when it comes to quality and reliability, but if you want me to spend $17k on your newest sled, make it blow everyone else out of the water with a reliable, snappy, 250 horsepower sled that with no doubt in anyone's mind is the baddest sled on the trail. Then I will buy one, and quite a few other loyal Yamaha people that can afford it would too. I'm not bashing Yamaha, I just wish they would have set the mark a little higher. I'm sure the Sidewinder is a bad ass sled, but at 15-17K, I think they will have a hard time selling them. I hope i'm wrong.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
With all due respect...your add on turbo will be all in with the add on whereas the sw will be the starting point..and even so, I doubt you can hang with it...and surely won't have the ride...a big portion of your cost difference you quote is shocks..and they do make a he'll of a difference....once hands massage the new mill....your 180 Will feel anemic...been there done that

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just spent the good part of the day looking at the new side winder.The Yamaha rep had 204 HP signs on it and the one with all the plastics off had 1400 miles on it with a production date of 1-16 and you could see it was rode very very hard up in Canada.

Both primary and secondary clutches are beefed up compared to the viper, air filter and front intake is well done, not just laying on clutch guard,very beefed up intercooler, all electronics well placed. Overall the entire engine bay is well done.The shock packages are excellent.A very cool led light strip just above the hid head lamp and a nice overall look.
The mpi add on kits are no more through Yamaha, it was just to fill the gap until the sidewinder was completed. I know some dealers wouldn't put a add on kit on a 16 because yamaha could't figure out which 16 motor's were going to blow but would turbo a 14-15 with no concerns.
With yamaha saying close to 200 then you watch what Ulmer can do once the new ecu is cracked. My thoughts would be around 240 on 91 octane.

This sled is the future hotrod with a good chassis behind it and from the hints i was getting, the apex might disappear but who knows.

I will post all the pics very shortly.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Right, it's a led light strip above the led light...and the ecu is already cracked...I'm sure tunes are on process right now..in fact mcx is already quoting a 250 kit, but they are usually at elevation....you guys who are getting a look at these...don't be shy...look closely in the clutching bay for any signs of blown belts....

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
ho-hum. I am sure it is a nice engine, but slapping a turbo in an engine isn't anything groundbreaking. The only thing you can get this year that you couldn't get last year that is actually made in a Yamaha plant is the VK540, and they want about $10k for that... really?

Yamaha, just throw in the towel already. Nobody wants the Phaser. The Apex is a dinosaur. If you want a good Yamaha powered work, touring, trail, muscle or mountain sled, get one made by Cat. The only thing reasonable innovative by Yamaha is the power steering they swiped from the quads, and it doesn't do much in a sled (I've tried it).

·
Registered
363 Posts
ho-hum. I am sure it is a nice engine, but slapping a turbo in an engine isn't anything groundbreaking. The only thing you can get this year that you couldn't get last year that is actually made in a Yamaha plant is the VK540, and they want about $10k for that... really?

Yamaha, just throw in the towel already. Nobody wants the Phaser. The Apex is a dinosaur. If you want a good Yamaha powered work, touring, trail, muscle or mountain sled, get one made by Cat. The only thing reasonable innovative by Yamaha is the power steering they swiped from the quads, and it doesn't do much in a sled (I've tried it).
I'm liking the partnership more and more. Cat is pushing conservative Yamaha to not be so conservative and Yamaha is pushing Cat to improve all aspects of their sleds. This will be Yamaha's 3rd production year massaging arguably the best chassis in the biz. Now with arguably the best engine in the biz. Ordering my Blue Sidewinder L-TX LE next week :bc2:

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Are you kidding..without Yamaha cat would be down to one old technology 800 and their new 600...no four stroke..and without a four stroke...no four stroke means no epa credits.no credits limits the sales of dirty engines like the 800...essentially meaning cat is out of business..although Yamaha is definitely benefiting from having a real chassis...they are the life preserver cat needed...just imagine if Yamaha made the deal with Polaris...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Arctic cat sleds powered by Suzuki engine were call Arctic cat
Skidoo sleds powered by Rotax are called Skidoo
When Polaris used the Fuji engines they were called Polaris
Polaris used the Weber engines still called the sled Polaris
No matter who's engine is put in the Arctic cat chassis it really is an Arctic cat
Take a Ferrari remove the engine for a chev power plant doesn't make this new car a Chev.

·
Registered
208 Posts

I like Artic Cat, always have. But you're looking at the wrong perspectives. Look at the Yamaha company as a whole. Yamaha is going no where but up when it comes to profits. Now look at Artic Cat, profit shares on the market are down 12% which is huge. This means they are not just failing in the sled category but as an overall power company. Shares keep falling, economies are in a down turn, especially now with a US election in the future. I will be surprised if Artic Cat can survive the storm. Looks like it's an easy take over company and Yamaha being the only company with the means to buy them out. Look at the advantages Yamaha will receive, all the R&D and a Factory in the US ( saving of import fees).

Time will tell.

·
Registered
580 Posts

There is so much wrong in this post I don't know were to start........

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Are you kidding..without Yamaha cat would be down to one old technology 800 and their new 600...no four stroke..and without a four stroke...no four stroke means no epa credits.no credits limits the sales of dirty engines like the 800...essentially meaning cat is out of business..although Yamaha is definitely benefiting from having a real chassis...they are the life preserver cat needed...just imagine if Yamaha made the deal with Polaris...
That old technology 800 is also a Suzuki, when the contract is done ALL of the Suzuki motors are gone.
If Yamaha wouldn't have been in the picture, they would have likely renewed the contract with Suzuki. No big deal.
I understand that the only engines that aren't Yamaha (this year) are the 600 Cat, 1100 NA Suzuki, 570 Fan Suzuki, 500 Suzuki, 800 Suzuki and 600 Kymco 4 stroke, you are talking like Yamaha is saving cat from oblivion by providing the 1049 and 999 Turbo engines, and I just can't see that.
Why would I believe that all of the sudden that getting rid of the 1100 Suzuki and replacing it with the Yamaha turbo that the carbon credits would greatly change. No, it is OBVIOUS that they had a plan to replace the Suzuki 800 and 4 stroke 1100 when the contract was up, or renew the contract.
I am sure they had a plan for when the Suzuki contract was up MANY years before. You would have to be delusional to think that they are using a couple Yamaha engines as a last grasp on solvency.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I'm liking the partnership more and more. Cat is pushing conservative Yamaha to not be so conservative and Yamaha is pushing Cat to improve all aspects of their sleds. This will be Yamaha's 3rd production year massaging arguably the best chassis in the biz. Now with arguably the best engine in the biz. Ordering my Blue Sidewinder L-TX LE next week :bc2:
I like this too, I would love to finally see an actual attractive 3/4 sized sled derived from the Procross chassis. Since the 500 and 570 Suzuki will be gone, I have a feeling that Cat has a 400-500 liquid 2 stroke in the works, and if they share a smaller chassis with Yamaha they can have a new Puma and Phaser where Cat has the 2 strokes and Yamaha has the 4 stroke. WIN-WIN and the product lines stay distinct.

41 - 60 of 112 Posts