Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 polaris indy 600. One of the pistons got damaged and these are the pics. I am replacing the top end but wonder why this happened? I dont want it to happen again. S
hould I check something? So what do you think my looking at the pistons happened? Thanks. The side that broke was the exhaust side. And the part that is dark underneath is also the exhaust side.

·
Premium Member
16,056 Posts
I have a 2015 polaris indy 600. One of the pistons got damaged and these are the pics. I am replacing the top end but wonder why this happened? I dont want it to happen again. S View attachment 2104564 View attachment 2104565 hould I check something? So what do you think my looking at the pistons happened? Thanks. The side that broke was the exhaust side. And the part that is dark underneath is also the exhaust side.
Need a lot more info. Mileage, fuel and oil used, coolant level, what were the ambient conditions, who was riding it? At what rpm did this happen? Are you the original owner? Did someone happen to do some maintenance on it just beforehand? Based on the pics, the exhaust valve may have contacted the piston and broke the ring land off. This then caused the ring to snag in the exhaust port and break the ring into several pieces where they got pounded around inside the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
20,008 Posts
The old cat non apv 600 twins that was common for that happen. The ring locator pin would pop out, the ring would spin and snag the port. The trash from the ring locator pin would pound the piston top and head to death. The actual cylinder would have very little damage

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use klotz full synthetic oil. It has about 4500 miles. Nobody has had it before me and nobody has worked on it. My son has been using it and noticed it had been getting slower and he a hard time getting up to like 60 or 70. Then like a few days of riding like that it finally just slowed down and stopped.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Its hard to say. Is the ring able to move or is it stuck in place? If its stuck in place then your ring locating pin probably broke out somehow. It shouldnt be facing the exhaust. They are located at the intake. If its loose then its harder to say. And its facing that way because you moving it around in free air.

I would take the crank out and inspect all the bearings at least. If metal got in the piston area. It got into the crank area most likely too. If the bearings feel jumpy and grainy. Send it out to be rebuilt. Another thing to do is grind down the tips of the exhaust valves. I do this on every machine I own. They poke out farther than the radios does.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts