Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you notice we got jammed right in the you no what area. Now that the firecat carbs are 400 cheaper everyone will have a hard time getting a decent price for their 2003 firecats. You'd be better off spending a little extra to get the carb version with a 2 year warranty than buying a used fuely with no warranty. I bet you since cat didn't step up to the plate with an extra year on the firecats that they will lose alot of buyers to other manufacturers. I haven't had any problems mechanically with my firecat but everytime you ride it's always in your mind that is it going to break down. I was interested in getting the zr900 but now that they have this direct drive what kind of problems am I going to run into and what about gear changes. How would that work?? The secondary even looks different. I think they are using the 900 to test the direct drive for a big 4 stroke next year so the 900 is being used to get rid of the bugs and how long will the parts be on back order if something goes wrong there? So much for all the cat guys who have helixes and gears that are no longer any good. That's just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to about the warranty stuff, but here's my $0.02......

I think every one has it in the back of their minds that something could go wrong with their sleds at any time..... I mean, think about it, the conditions we make these machines run in are FAR From favorable. I give ALL the manufacturers a lot of credit for making these sleds as reliable as they have.

Sure you have lemons once in a while, and more so with new releases.

BUT

If Cat just sat on their hands and didn't release anything new, they would be left in the dust and probably claiming Chapter 11.

As for the "Cat Guys" who have helixes and clutches, thats why there is EBAY!!! Not to mention they can still get an 03 900 carb, which is the same sled, short of EFI and Direct Drive.

I do agree with you on the back order part issue.... I hope Cat learned from the F7 Cylinder DEBACLE that they created...... not to mention I hope this Direct drive has been tested enough....

Progress always brings with it growing pains..... just the nature of the beast.....

RIDE ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay find me a new black 03 zr900 in Nova Scotia Canada. ZIP! As for the warranty, cat has has numerous updates and problems with the firecat. They have admitted this by offering a 100 in cat cash. Why not offer them an extended year warranty if they made such a reliable sled. I think cat knows that there will be alot of problems after this year with the 03 firecats and don't want to be liable. What about the oil adjustment issue. They should have come up with another oiul pump instead of adjusting it to full. What about the guys who buy these in a year or so and service their own machines and notice the oil pump is adjusted too far. If they adjust it back to where it should be and it blows then who is responsible?? What about the cord fix. That is really cheap but they fixed the problem on the 04's. I think cat should offer a 2 year warranty to start with on any new model sled to back their product for cases such as the firecat. Yeah ebay is good but what about the guy who spent hundreds of dollars on parts and will get 30 percent back on ebay for used gearing and helixes to get enough to buy 1 or 2 things for the direct drive if lucky.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I think more riders will buy the EFI & not the carbed sled & lose 2 HP with the carbs

·
Registered
676 Posts
Not every oil pump is get bottomed out on adjustment. Anyone that adjusts there oil pump without monitoring consumption deserve to burn down! As far as being reliable, I feel that these sleds are. It is the people that are on this site that keeping saying they are not and are worried about a 2 year warranty. If your sled has not gone down before the adjustment of the oil, why do you feel it will?

I for one am not worried. Mine has been down twice but now I have thousands of trouble free miles. I am not worried at all about going on long trips. Anyone that is just trail riding I would think EFI would be the way to go. That is were the majority of people are riding anyways.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't sympathize with anybody who spends more money on something than they should and then whines about how they look at their sleds as a investment.

We are all getting hosed on these things, but we pay the $$ for the thrill of the ride.

In all seriousness it would be cheaper to rent these damn things when you factor in the $$ on insurance, depreciation, taxes, trailer, and maintanance.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Originally posted by toyotajoe@Feb 27 2003, 03:44 PM
I got a '04 - pull cord replaced two days ago. Still frays where it rubs on the chassis!
:)

·
Registered
921 Posts
How can someone bitch about sleds coming down in price?

Compared to the other manufactures I thought the '03 Cats were a great deal, but I haven't had any problems yet either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts