Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to get some thoughts.

On Saturday we rode up to Moose River Plains, in NY. This is a place know for the deer that will eat out of your hands. So it is nice to go and feed the deer and hang out. We got up there and it was packed with people. Mostly families with their kids.

So, I am standing there and I spot four new sleds all parked next to each other. RX-1, REV-600, F7 Green Standard, F7 Red Saber. Standing next to the Red F7 is a boy. He couldn't be more than 9 or 10 years old. He wasn't even as tall as the windshield of the F7. So I figured he must be riding with some one. Just then his Dad, Mom and another child, had to be around the same age as the first, walk over. Dad climbs on the RX-1, Mom on the Rev and both kids jump on the F7's and they ride away!!!

Now, is this crazy or what?? Would you let your children ride F7's?? That is a whole lot of machine for kids. I mean I am not even talking teenagers. I just thought I would ask what you guys think? I was shocked and I just hope those kids ride safe, especially with the way I saw some people riding this weekend.

Stay Right, Stay Alive!!!!!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I've seen that alot myself. I rode last weekend with a guy who bought an F7 Sabercat. I mentioned the spring order program and he said that he just bought it-a 13 girl backed out of it because she didn't like the way it looked. It is nuts! :wacko:

·
Registered
171 Posts
that is crazy!! They are probly rich. look at what they have all 2003's they 2 F7's are around 14,000 then you got the Rev around 6,000 then an Rx-1 thats around 8,000-9,000 your lookin at 35,000 plus gas trailer, etc.... they shouldn't start out on that. I started on my sisters 98 jag 440, i couldn't even pull the cord i had to use the pull start. then i got a 2000 Zl 500 that i rode for 3 years untill that got totaled on railroad tracks now i'm on a F5 sno-pro and love. i wouldn't want an F7 if i could have gotten it too much for me to get myself in trouble with for the way i ride an F% is fine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sorry, but I disagree with everyone. Number one, just because they have 4 new sleds does not make them RICH. You don't know anything about them, so you shouldn't judge them. Secondly, obviously the parents felt comfortable enough with their kids and trusted their riding ability for them to have those sleds. I started out on a kitty kat when I was 3 years old, no BS. However if you've ever been around the old ones (somewhere around a 70s model) you know how aggravating they are. They are always stuck or broke down. My Dad used to take me for rides all the time on his 72 Rupp 400. So when I was 4 he taught me how to ride it so that it would be more fun for both of us, rather then riding 10 mins and fixing for 3 hours. Call me a liar, what ever you will, but its the truth. When I was 10 I alread had 6 years of riding experience. I could have easily handled an F7. No doubt in my mind. If he started his kids out at an early age, and love the sport, I tip my hat and applaud him. Like I said, he obviously had a good reason to trust his kids with the F7's. If he didn't I'm sure he would have never bought the sleds. If he felt them too powerful for the kids, and let them ride anyways, he is sending them down a death trail. Would you purposly give your kids a dangerous machine if you were positive that they could NOT handle it? I doubt he would either. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree with brassmonkeynutz it is very possible for parents to have confidence in their childrens ability to operate. And from my experince some kids look older than appear to be. I also think Mike C envys the guys becuz hes on a f5. lol lol :lol:

ride till you sneeze green!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
930 Posts
Well, we have just assumed the kids were 10 based on their size. However, I believe even a 13-14-15 year old lacks the judgement to handle one of the fastest production sleds ever made. Why chance them grabbing too much throttle in the wrong situation? Just common sense I think...Marc

·
Registered
477 Posts
Riduculous! You are comparing a 72 Rupp to a F7? One of the fastest production snowmobiles made in 2003. Com' on. I started riding a kitty cat when I was 2 and graduated to my own sled quickly too although I am not sure at what age. Point is, SOME children can handle their own sleds at a young age but you must exert some control and though on what you are putting in there hands. What I do know is an F7 is way to much sled physically and mentally for a 9 year old girl, period. Hell, it is too much sled for alot of grown men out there.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Well I don't think anyone under 18 should be driving a F7. Usually they feel pretty invincible at that age I know I did, death is not really a factor until you are in your 20's. I'm a little over 30 and I hit the breaks over blind hills, take it easy on busy days. Do kids that are this young think that the groomer could be right over the top of the hill? A tree could be down? Hopefully they pounded it into their kids brains (not literally of course).

R

·
0 Posts
Yea, they should have put the kids on the RX-1. You know. a little slower, and heavier,but much safer. :p

·
Registered
899 Posts
ok those parents may not be rich, but they sure as sh^t are brain dead i dont care how good of a rider they are or how many times youve preached safety to them kids will be kids.\i know i have 4 kids 21,18,11,10

people like that are the reason for warning labels plastered all over everything you buy. like this one ive seen on a step ladder "warning this step is not a step" :wacko:

·
Registered
280 Posts
In Sweden you have to be 16 and have a snowmobile license to drive !
Don't you have any laws about this? :huh:

·
Registered
82 Posts
F7s for kids that young does seem excessive. My nephew is 11 and I bought him an F5. he had a MC5701m on order but asked me if he could get the Firecat instead. He said he thought he would go better in the mountains with it. He had a MC570 last year. He does seem very happy with it. He is very cautious and has been riding since he was 3 when I got him a kitty cat. He has had the kitty cat a z120 jag 340 dlx and the mc 570. He rides with me or my dad in the Cantwell and Summit Lake area in Alaska. He has tried my F7 when we were out a couple times but likes the power delivery of his 500 better. He races motocross in the summer also. I never would let him ride something or somewhere if i thought he would hurt himself or someone else.
Stevel

·
Registered
82 Posts
I forgot to mention why we started buying bigger sleds for James. 3 Seasons ago when he was riding the Jag I thoght i might take my own life a few weekends in the hills. I spent so much time every weekend getting him unstuck I could hardly ride my own sled I was so tired.
Steve

·
Registered
334 Posts
I disagree with the youngsters on an F7. I spend a few weekends a year instructing 10-15 year olds a Safety class in PA. Ant no dawn way a 10 year old or even 13 year old can understand what happens when you ride a 140HP sled, the trouble you can get yourself into, is even scary at 40 years old! This is why insurance is so expensive for all of us! My 10 year old has a 340 and will be riding that for a while. He is 4' 5" and weights 145 lbs, but has not developed the skills required to ride a 140HP machine.
Keep the rubber side down and ride to the right- use hand signals.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts