Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out what I should check on a regular basis. What do you do?

·
Registered
143 Posts
What I like to do is check oil, chain case oil, and anti-freeze. Take a visual look while under hood for anything loose or broke. Check track tension and alignment and look over skid for loose or broken stuff.

Am I missing anything I should be checking?

·
Premium Member
7,417 Posts
I for some reason like to look at the studs every weekend. gotta keep my eye on the oil, the light comes on way too early. that red light drives me nuts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
DONT FOGET TO CHECK THE large REAR AXLE NUT. As i was revving my sled on the jackstand. I actaually watch it turn 5 times counter clockwise and fall off.

God frobide that to happen in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
622 Posts
People often overlook the rear suspension bolts. Check the 4 mounting bolts as well as the bolts for the cross shafts and such. They loosen up from time to time!

·
Registered
749 Posts
I always check my ski carbides too. Hate to take off for a long weekend of riding with them in poor shape. Wastes a lot of valuable seat time looking around for a set while on the road. I also check chain tension.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
i go over every nut & bolt ! check chain case / track /studs / clutches / skid/ belt / and anything i can think of i spend about two to three hours a week checking it out!! i have done this to every sled iv'e had for years and have not had any breakdowns for at least 10 years!

·
Registered
986 Posts
I alwaya check that the throddle opens all the way HE HE

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Before I rode my first mile, I tighten all fasteners and then use a paint marker to mark their position. Then when I check it over after a ride, if the marks line up, the bolt hasn't backed off. Saves lots of time.

·
Registered
2021 VR1 850, 18 Tiger 8000, 17 RS 6000, 16 ZR 6000, 12 F1100T, 11 EXT 800, 09 Z1 Turbo, 05 ZR 900
10,200 Posts
All of the above :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Front to back cause man do i break alot of shit. I like to take the chain case cover off on my big mountain sleds every other weekend if I can find the time. And the sprockets off so I can make sure the splines are not twisted. This is not usually an issue on trail sleds but the chain in the F7 had broken links in it when we put the long track kit on. I like to service my shocks every 500 miles. I love to mountain ride but being a mx racer I can't refrain from jumping big even on the big long tracks and it takes its toll. They look real good on the outside though.
Steve

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Originally posted by Gunner F5@Feb 2 2003, 11:16 PM
Before I rode my first mile, I tighten all fasteners and then use a paint marker to mark their position. Then when I check it over after a ride, if the marks line up, the bolt hasn't backed off. Saves lots of time.
GREAT idea Gunner F5! -- Roy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts