Hardcore Sledder banner

241 - 250 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Oh how this stings ... because it's TRUE!!! I remember when my former Cat dealer sold me on the 2007 F8, and how he was told the pre-production sleds were running right with the F7's. What a disappointment when I lined up with buddies thinking I had another F7 type of lake runner. NOT!!!! I even spent the extra for the "Whoop Ass Kit" from Black Magic. It sure made the sled sound cocky, but it was still a pooch. Maybe if Cat had dropped the H.O. in from the get-go, things would have gone a little differently .... I dunno. But I agree the 2007-2009 models were a major disappointment.
I remember the first time I had the chance to take a good look at those sleds back in March 2006 @ The neilsen snocross race in Lk Geneva,Wi...LOL...Stood back and waited my turn to do a real inspection, all the while listening to ALL the CATAHOLIC DOUCHES oooh n aaah over it...LAUGHED my balls off @ them...The fit n finish was grade school shop class JUNK...The panel/hood finishes were already getting dull/scratched from the factory boyz trying to keep them nice and shiny...Then I tried to lift the front of the sled...LOL...I knew it would never live life in my sled trailer...BUT...The crossfire 7 I bought the following year wasn't much better except for the laydown 7 motor...

·
Registered
880 Posts
Exactly 07' - 11' cost Cat massively and largely why they are in their current situation. Throw in all the missteps over the years since and even the two remaining die hard's in our group are finally throwing in the towel. The appearance of being "least expensive" on the spring order only strategy is not enough specifically for those that actually do a feature for feature comparison.

There are only two possibilities at this point for what's next with Cat. Textron either re-ignites the innovation engine or they sell it off to anyone dumb enough to buy the division in it's current state.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Exactly 07' - 11' cost Cat massively and largely why they are in their current situation. Throw in all the missteps over the years since and even the two remaining die hard's in our group are finally throwing in the towel. The appearance of being "least expensive" on the spring order only strategy is not enough specifically for those that actually do a feature for feature comparison.

There are only two possibilities at this point for what's next with Cat. Textron either re-ignites the innovation engine or they sell it off to anyone dumb enough to buy the division in it's current state.
Key words...DUMB ENOUGH

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had the 2008 F6 Sno Pro. Nice ride, comfortable, but a total dog on top end (70). I remember they really touted the Diamond Drive replacement for the chain case at the time. . I always blamed it on that, thinking it was a huge parasitic loss. Anyone else have any thoughts on why they, and the F8, were such dogs?
I am
I am not bashing. I had three other Cats that were great. No one could believe how fast my stock 2003 F5 was. Still brings back good memories.

·
Insane Madcatter
06 F7 EFI / 00 MXZ 600
126 Posts
I had the 2008 F6 Sno Pro. Nice ride, comfortable, but a total dog on top end (70). I remember they really touted the Diamond Drive replacement for the chain case at the time. . I always blamed it on that, thinking it was a huge parasitic loss. Anyone else have any thoughts on why they, and the F8, were such dogs?
I am
I am not bashing. I had three other Cats that were great. No one could believe how fast my stock 2003 F5 was. Still brings back good memories.
Diamond Drive went through a few phases, but after a few attempts Cat had Diamond Drive sleds performing very well. The first attempts on the early Firecats weren't so great, but by 2006 they had the F7 with DD giving the F7R chaincase a run for its money, albeit the chaincase version is a tad faster then the 06 DD version.
With the Twin Spar the DD was horsing a much heavier machine, so they focused on reliability with it. The DD on my 2010 F8 SP worked great, but it's fluid has to be changed every 1500-2000 miles.
To answer your question on why the 07-09 sleds were such dogs, DD sucks up more power, & they only had the 140HP Zuke pushing a 600lb sled.
The 10's and 11's with the updated rear tunnel, Fox Floats and 160+HP Zuke H.O. aren't bad sleds, in fact, for trail riding, they can keep up with anything to date. The issue was, by the time Cat updated the looks, tunnel and motor, it was too late.

The Firecat chassis is so fast because, it weighs nothing, has great aero, and while some may not like the 13.5 track, if your talking straight line trail speed and lake performance, its a winner baby. For trail riding the 13.5 needs atleast 2 studs and the wheel kit like my 06 has, with the 1.0 RipSaw, but the SP has a 1.375 track and just needs a wheel kit to handle a little better. Firecats can corner quite well but it takes sliding the butt around some.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I am
I am
The secondary was compression, causing spring bind, that alone was a performance killer. That little bearing thing a ma Bob helped

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts

I disagree somewhat with this. I feel like Cat can gain traction by being the cheap option (think Kia when they 1st came around), but feel prices would have to be a tad lower than what they are now or not slap freight and prep on top of current prices. As a side note I still think all 4 OEMs need to go to spring order only on new sleds for a year or so to clean up the industry and put some value back into snowmobiles.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
the twin spar sure was slow, ugly barney looking, heavy, and you could absolutely not get them to turn they pushed so bad I don't care what anyone says or what you do to them they wouldn't turn. But they were sure nice trail cruisers and you could drive them off a cliff and they wouldn't break lol But with that chassis Cat went from the dominating over performing F7 chassis and really was the beginning of the downfall for them. Whats amazing is you see more F7, crossfire on the trails then the newer twin spars these days its like they disappeared

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I disagree somewhat with this. I feel like Cat can gain traction by being the cheap option (think Kia when they 1st came around), but feel prices would have to be a tad lower than what they are now or not slap freight and prep on top of current prices. As a side note I still think all 4 OEMs need to go to spring order only on new sleds for a year or so to clean up the industry and put some value back into snowmobiles.
Polaris and Ski doo sure seem to be holding there value?? Ski doo XRS you can sell them what you paid for them after a season of riding? The polaris dealers can not keep a used 850 around they are gone as soon as they come in for top dollar. The sleds left over stacked up at dealers are the cheaper models that no one wants? So I really don't think a cheaper option is needed when the high end models are the ones that guys are willing to open up there wallet to pay whatever to get!

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Agree the guys who really are balls deep into snowmobiling will and do pay for the high end models. But I do know of some older ( in their 50s) who enjoy snowmobiling but would definitely buy on value vs. top performance and when they buy a new or newer sled they keep it for a long time. Also I think it all depends where you live. Here in NY there are plenty of leftovers from all makes due to poor winter after poor winter. Myself yes I buy the sleds I want as I am balls deep. But everyone is different, different price points and different views on what snowmobiling is to them. But no way would I pay top dollar for a used sled when new ones are made everyday along with plenty of leftovers. You must live somewhere with lots of snow every year that helps hold the value of the used sleds in your area.

241 - 250 of 250 Posts