Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
What’s cat going to do they were struggling bad before covid 19 with very little market share so this might be the end textron might pull the plug on snow division
what are the current market shares? BRP, POLARIS, YAMAHA & CAT

Sent from my SM-C9000 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2021 VR1 Eight-Fiddy HYPERSLED!!
20,569 Posts
Before it gets too entertaining in here, just remember this is the General SNOWMOBILE Forum and not the General DISCUSSION Forum 😄

Carry on ...

·
Public Relations Officer
Cat SX
15,773 Posts
This year is going to tell us a lot of what Textron’s plans are going to be with the Cat brand. I’m hearing good rumors but, I’ve heard them before.

I think this year is an important year for Cat if the brand is going to stay formidable. I’m hopeful.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I know the guys still sticking with cat LOVE the procross and think its the best out there but if they want to get people to jump over to cat from other brands, get a lot of old cat guys back that have jumped to other brands, get there current customers who already have had multiple procross sleds or still riding there bulletproof suzuki 800 that feel have no reason to buy a new one. They need a new modern chassis, seating position, progressive rear suspension, 850 motor, 4 year warranty. And drop some other revolutionary thing like cat is known for coming up with.
But They need to at least offer what the competition does in those main areas. Yes I know the cat guys left are very happy and feel they are more then competitive but they still need something to get the other guys. And they need to treat there dealers WAY better instead of like trash like they do now. They build something all new they will get people lined up to come back. They do that and there will be huge excitement and people will line up to drop 16+K for one all day.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I checked for market share and the last stats I could find date from 2017 and didn't look to be very crédible. As a Cat owner that doesn't trade every year and has a 0 miles on my current sled... What I would like to have some better options.

The sled handles extremely well so why fix something that isn't broke?

The CTEC2 has great response and torque but lacking top end for those that lineup to drag. Something could be done there to attract buyer's. So 850 or 900 maybe but let's hope they don't sacrifice reliability and durability.

Seating position is personal preference IMO as I like the so called dated procross seat but I haven't done a trip on anything else since 2013 either...

The turbos are not my thing but we read about their clutch and gear issues... That should be easy fix but if they do fix them, many of you will say they haven't done anything new to the sled

Snowcheck is where I think they need to invest and invest immediately. Make a 7 or 8" GPS screen as a check option only. Make some colour options check only, track options check only. To have as many preorders possible and consider lower margins to get as many sleds on snow with no inventory risks woukd kick-start the brand pride again. Reviews would have so many things to talk about, creating excitement in the market place. Last but not least, standardize a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty on all sleds would also increase resale value that should in turn improve trade-in value. This should stimulate dealer sales and if you don't take care of your dealers... How can they take care of their customers?

To summarize, snowcheck is their safest and best ROI to get the brand back to being considered again. Most of us look for reviews before making any major purchases in today's world... So give the Snowtrax of this world something to talk about and continue to control your sled inventory by making preorders so much more desirable... That's my 2 cents

Sent from my SM-C9000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
841 Posts
Yes I know the cat guys left are very happy and feel they are more then competitive but they still need something to get the other guys.
Yes, they have continued to be satisfied selling sleds to an ever shrinking base of riders. Suzuki was their key to success and still the sled a majority of their riders are on to this day.

The best sled in the lineup is now powered by Yamaha and while it's a great engine it's sitting in an old adapted chassis. That motor deserves a purpose built chassis and a diet that would shed at least 40 - 50 lbs from it's current weight. Improve the drive train to make it as reliable and bullet proof as the engine. Everything they need to know is right there in public view specific to every modification current owners have been doing to make it more reliable and dependable.

Lean heavier on the Yamaha partnership to bring an industry leading two stroke 850. Follow that up with a 650 put both in the new chassis. Bring a lightweight NA four stroke with 140HP in that same purpose built chassis to replace the aging Viper. Make that sled the lightest weight most powerful NA four stroke on the market.

New gauges, color and track options can wait. Cat has far bigger problems to solve first and the only way they attract riders from the other brands.

·
Administrator
2021 VR1 Eight-Fiddy HYPERSLED!!
20,569 Posts
If the diehard Cat guys are happy with the ProCross, and Cat/Textron continue to refine vs. going all new ... so be it. If customers are happy with the product and promote it, that's what matters. But I do tend to agree with other comments that unless the crew in TRF does something new, they're just not going to pull in riders from other brands. I also agree they're missing the potential of a GOOD snow check program. Not turning this into a Polaris vs. Cat thing, but I think most agree that Polaris has done the snow check thing really well, with offering a lot of customization options. Guys who order in the spring are ultimately the "whales" willing to spend money on the sport, so give them more options ... with a price.

·
Registered
19,908 Posts
Why would cat bring back a 4 stroke they dropped that didn’t sell?? Skidoo doesn’t even build a 4 stroke between the 600 and 800 power range any more. They need a new sled that is different from the procross. A tweaked procross is not going to increase sales. The market has shiwnbover the last few years they don’t want it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I believe the numbers are closer to 50% DOO, 43% POL, CAT/YAM 7% and shrinking.

1 - 20 of 192 Posts