Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I really want to get into snowmobiling so I can access the back country for skiing and playing in!
I live in South Western Bc and the mountains are amazing here. I’ve been cruising market place here and there but I don’t know snowmobiles well enough to drop a lot of coin on a sled I don’t know anything about.
Just curious on what type of sled you guys would recommend to me?
cheers!

·
Registered
22 VR1 850 129 and Mxz 600 etec
174 Posts
Try and connect with a local guided tour operation and go on a ride for a day. They usually provide all the gear, the sled and have a lot of knowledge to share.

·
Registered
919 Posts
thats great advice Pbr gave. You should be able to rent a few different sleds and see what fits you or what ergonomics you prefer before you dump big bucks on something only to find out you dont like it, and you can buy ex rental sleds if you find one you like

·
Registered
237 Posts
Try and connect with a local guided tour operation and go on a ride for a day. They usually provide all the gear, the sled and have a lot of knowledge to share.
Yeah. Like the 650 Matrix's that tour company rents in Northern NH. 3 wrecks already by operators out for their first ride. All in riders in serious condition, sleds totaled.

·
Registered
2022 ThunderCat EPS
264 Posts
Yeah. Like the 650 Matrix's that tour company rents in Northern NH. 3 wrecks already by operators out for their first ride. All in riders in serious condition, sleds totaled.
Excellent point, no way should a person that has never riden a snowmobile before, be able to operate a sled with over a 100hp.
I'm totally blown away with how fast my 120hp 600 builds speed, and I started riding in 74. My Cat 800 Triple back in the day was an animal and none of my kids were allowed to ride it...scary fast.

·
Registered
22 VR1 850 129 and Mxz 600 etec
174 Posts
Good point but maybe 650 Matryx isn't best choice for first time rider. The O.P. is in BC Canada that has a number of well equipped operations that could give him level of basic information. Snowmobiling does have an inherent danger to it.
Think he would be better served by guided tour to gain some knowledge versus just buying some high powered machine and hoping for the best.

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
If you are going to be riding the mountains, you need a deep snow/mountain machine, a 600 would be best for a first timer
I would recommend a Ski-Doo Summit 600 146 or longer, Polaris RMK's, and Artic Cat M6000's
stay away from 4 strokes for steep and deep

·
Registered
237 Posts
Good point but maybe 650 Matryx isn't best choice for first time rider. The O.P. is in BC Canada that has a number of well equipped operations that could give him level of basic information. Snowmobiling does have an inherent danger to it.
Think he would be better served by guided tour to gain some knowledge versus just buying some high powered machine and hoping for the best.
Agreed, and the trees are further apart in BC than NH! lol

·
Registered
237 Posts
If you are going to be riding the mountains, you need a deep snow/mountain machine, a 600 would be best for a first timer
I would recommend a Ski-Doo Summit 600 146 or longer, Polaris RMK's, and Artic Cat M6000's
stay away from 4 strokes for steep and deep
Curious as to why stay away from 4 strokes? Is it because of the weight?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Good advice here by pbr and others, and you can have a blast riding plus they supply
all the gear. Also a tour is great to do as the operators no the area and the great scenic
areas to ride. Pick your sled carefully i would say Polaris 144 Assault 600, or skidoo
renegade 600 but there is no rush there is alot of work, time, and expense of owning
a sled, plus a place to store it. Locate that tour operator and book your session and
have a blast.....

·
Registered
307 Posts
Definitely alot more maintainance than you think. Not trying to scare you off but seriously if you don't know anything about working on a sled ride a few like suggested.. find one you like and snow check a brand new one you'd be commited to. You'll get a 4 year warranty and have the knowledge of how it was broken in and ridden. You buy a used one you're buying someone else's problems unless you find a guy like me selling one that knows how to and goes through the sled every season. Bushings, bearings, suspension, motor. All very costly things if you let them go unchecked and they wear far beyond their service life.

·
Premium Member
6,946 Posts
used- phazer, 380 formula s , indy lite 340

new- c- tec 800

all are pretty slow and forgiving.not fast enough to get you in any real trouble.

the first 3 are stone reliable.the 4th comes in green if thats your thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys I really appreciate all the solid advice! I’ve been dirt biking my whole life and just wanna start to switch over, and switch it up.I’ve been looking at some skidoo 600’s and they seem pretty solid! I have ridden some early 2000’s 503’s And they seem pretty solid. Definitely will not be getting anything over a 600 for my first sled that’s for sure.

·
Premium Member
6,946 Posts
Hey guys I really appreciate all the solid advice! I’ve been dirt biking my whole life and just wanna start to switch over, and switch it up.I’ve been looking at some skidoo 600’s and they seem pretty solid! I have ridden some early 2000’s 503’s And they seem pretty solid. Definitely will not be getting anything over a 600 for my first sled that’s for sure.
any polaris 600 will serve you well in power and longevity.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Definitely alot more maintainance than you think. Not trying to scare you off but seriously if you don't know anything about working on a sled ride a few like suggested.. find one you like and snow check a brand new one you'd be commited to. You'll get a 4 year warranty and have the knowledge of how it was broken in and ridden. You buy a used one you're buying someone else's problems unless you find a guy like me selling one that knows how to and goes through the sled every season. Bushings, bearings, suspension, motor. All very costly things if you let them go unchecked and they wear far beyond their service life.
I love rebuilding and working on stuff like dirt bikes and i’ve worked on my buddys sled. Appreciate your reply!

·
Registered
449 Posts
My daughter use a Ski doo 600 mountain sled for back country skiing in Idaho. She has a two up seat option so she can drop off her husband at the top of the mountain and skidoo makes a ski rack that bolts on the sled . The 600 has enough power. Good on gas and easy on belts .

·
Registered
449 Posts
Learning advice . Go on YouTube and look up Brett Rasmussen , Back to Skool . It has 34 videos on riding advice . The series is well done and you will learn. A lot!!

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Is there a snowmobile safety course up your way? Everyone new should be required to watch it.
It's a matter of "riding in control" and "riding within your abilities". Those are the 2 things I stress when "teaching" someone how to ride a snowmobile.

You sound young? And strong? Join a club or two. And buddy up with people more experienced than yourself.

Ultimately like learning anything new, you'll learn by DOING it. Conditions are very "changeable". And unpredictable. So use your common sense. I assume you have some😉

Have fun. And the more time in the seat, the more you learn and improve.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Where are you looking to backcountry? I ride out by Logan Lake, but lots of guys head to the top of the Coquihalla. You live in the Fraser Valley?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts