Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just thought that I would pass on a huge thank you to the Gogebic area businesses and groomers for making our Christmas week riding outstanding. Up until yesterday (saturday) the trails held up real well. The groomers did an outstanding job of making the most out of limited snow fall. Even with such a concentrated number of sleds in that area, the trails held up much better than I could have ever expected.

Around Lake Gogebic, there was the most snow. Up to Twin Lakes, the Bill Nichols trail was great. Trails to the south in Vilas County and west towards Iron County, WI, we found the trails to be pretty beat. The Silver City ride was pretty much bare.

Thank you to the folks at "The Fisherman" on Lake Gogebic for their hospitality. The food was great as was the lodging. It is under new ownership and it was fun watching everyone pull together to make it all work! We will return in a couple of weeks.

We just happened to hit the trails at the right time, and as of this morning, they were pretty much toast.

On the down side, 2 sleds hit head on very early Saturday morning north of "The Fisherman" on the Lake. There were fatalities. Alcohol apparently was a factor.

·
Registered
344 Posts
so it sounds like it would be a waist of my time to drive up on tue? i was hoping there would be new snow or some left but it don't sound good.

THINK SNOW

HAPPY NEW YEAR

:fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy:

:linemup: :drunk: :beerchug: :celebrating: :burp: :beer:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just shiver hearing stories like that! That's the fatality part of it! Your post reminded me of a trip out there a few years past. I thought I would share it.
My buddy and I were standing by our sleds in the parking lot of the Hoop N' Holler Tavern approx 12.00 midnight. When a group of sledders come walking out. One very noticably drunk. They all get to there sleds, start them and get geared up to go. All but 1 in the group leave slowly and procede out to the lake. The drunk looking guy takes his sled pins the throttle and jumps the snow bank in the parking lot, almost landing it on a car. Then procedes to do some quick fish tails in the parking lot, falling off the sled. Next he sets his sights on the snow bank at the Lake. He pins the throttle again, flys over the bank, lands the sled, falls off again, He gets back up, shakes himself off and walks up to the sled and drives off into the darkness on the lake with all his buddies. Mean while my buddy and I are in disbelief in what we just saw. Anyways thats it. I want to head up there next good snow fall and I sure hope I don't run into anybody like that again!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's no question that Lake Gogebic provides a false sense of security for those that party hard. With all of the bars on the lake combined with the racing on the lake there is certainly some potential for danger. It is also rare to see law enforcement on the lake.

It is tragic that these kinds of accidents occur- unfortunately, they seem to be pretty common around the Bergland, MI area due to the heavy traffic on the lake and the trails in the area. With that being said, I still believe that the locals have created a fantastic trail system and have done an outstanding job of make those trails as safe as possible.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, about the only places in the midwest that were grooming were in Iron County and the western U.P. So as you can imagine, every hardcore rider and weekend warrior all were there....but, I have seen worse....especially on President's weekend.... Z

·
Registered
543 Posts
I just thought that I would pass on a huge thank you to the Gogebic area businesses and groomers for making our Christmas week riding outstanding. Up until yesterday (saturday) the trails held up real well. The groomers did an outstanding job of making the most out of limited snow fall. Even with such a concentrated number of sleds in that area, the trails held up much better than I could have ever expected.

Around Lake Gogebic, there was the most snow. Up to Twin Lakes, the Bill Nichols trail was great. Trails to the south in Vilas County and west towards Iron County, WI, we found the trails to be pretty beat. The Silver City ride was pretty much bare.

Thank you to the folks at "The Fisherman" on Lake Gogebic for their hospitality. The food was great as was the lodging. It is under new ownership and it was fun watching everyone pull together to make it all work! We will return in a couple of weeks.

We just happened to hit the trails at the right time, and as of this morning, they were pretty much toast.

On the down side, 2 sleds hit head on very early Saturday morning north of "The Fisherman" on the Lake. There were fatalities. Alcohol apparently was a factor.[/b]
I wonder if one was riding an Apex. I ran into him at the Lodge and Hoop he was trashed and being an ass.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I wonder if one was riding an Apex. I ran into him at the Lodge and Hoop he was trashed and being an ass.[/b]
Nope. On was a mxz700 renegade and the other was a 98 zr 600. The renegade burned.
It looks like the doo hit the cat from the right side, T bone type hit.
They are at the place I work in a pile of parts.

Very very sad situation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.