Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies in advance if too much off topic, but I figure this group could absolutely help!

I'm planning to kayak the W Branch of the Penobscot, and then down Chesencook from May 15-20th.

My hope is that by choosing this timeframe, I'll hit that window after the ice is gone, but before the bugs are a factor. Is that indeed the case for 3rd week of May? Honestly, I'd rather have it 45 deg out with no bugs, than 75 deg with them driving me up a wall. How far into May is it until they come out in great numbers usually?

As for the ice going out, I think May 15th would be late enough even from the 20-25 year event? Do you agree?


What are your overall thoughts on this? In terms of the wind, I presume that (usually) I'll be OK on the lake since they are usually from the W or NW and I'd be paddling down the lake to the SSE?

That being said, I can absolutely wait out the weather for 3 full days if necessary.

Let me know what you think overall?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
Apologies in advance if too much off topic, but I figure this group could absolutely help!



I'm planning to kayak the W Branch of the Penobscot, and then down Chesencook from May 15-20th.



My hope is that by choosing this timeframe, I'll hit that window after the ice is gone, but before the bugs are a factor. Is that indeed the case for 3rd week of May? Honestly, I'd rather have it 45 deg out with no bugs, than 75 deg with them driving me up a wall. How far into May is it until they come out in great numbers usually?



As for the ice going out, I think May 15th would be late enough even from the 20-25 year event? Do you agree?





What are your overall thoughts on this? In terms of the wind, I presume that (usually) I'll be OK on the lake since they are usually from the W or NW and I'd be paddling down the lake to the SSE?



That being said, I can absolutely wait out the weather for 3 full days if necessary.



Let me know what you think overall?



Thanks
My guess is that your timing is about as close as you could come considering all the crazy variables.

Bugs don't usually swarm until June, but occasionally certain species can fire up before the end of May and eat your face. Be prepared for anything.

Ice out seems to come earlier each year. It could be a show stopper, but Check with some locals if you can just before you set out.

Bugs, cold, rain and snow can all be dealt with by being prepared with good gear, tent, warm clothes etc. Take lots of good bug dope, and a net hat. A good tent and a book can get you threw a couple days of cold rain. Wind is not a big deal. Usually short lived if it is. Snow will be temporary and less annoying than rain.

April is one of the most beautiful months in the north woods if you are prepared for cold. Rain is the most dangerous weather you will encounter, but a sunny day can be breathtaking. Super clear skies are possible.

May can be as good, or better unless the bugs hatch early. That's always a crap shoot.

Just my $.02. After 30 years enjoying spring summer and fall in the great north woods.

The worst day you will encounter up there blows away the best day in civilization. The key is your preparation and good gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
you'll be cutting it close to ice out. Augers were buried to the hilt this winter. we went up to Telos Lake after college graduation in 1997 and saw the ice go out. Maybe call the Raymonds at NE Carry or Pittston Farm. or just wait another week. roads should be better too

concerned about weather? DAMN DUDE that water will kill you if not prepared...probably in high 30s. Seboomook Dam to Roll Dam is no joke, and water flow is likely to be substantial.

yes, if you get to Gero Island and theres a strong south wind, you should plan to wait it out. bring some TP b/c Parks will probably not have been out to campsites yet. and if you can find an extra roll, please send it to Aroostook County.

for all those who took our TP south 👌👈
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top