Hardcore Sledder banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Congrats... picked mine up April 09... one year to the day after my order.
I hope yours is assembled correctly... mine wasn't. Rear skid shock shaft was turned the wrong way (Cat). On ski shock was turned the wrong way (dealer). Nothing major... just couldn't turn the rebound.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It’s good for an honest 100mph, with 225 lbs on it, in a reasonable distance of 1000’ or so. I don’t stretch things out much beyond that, no interest in lakes. I like orange, but not the orange/gray/creamsicle combo on the ‘22, or the all gray tunnels so that made the RR the only option. View attachment 2135020 View attachment 2135021
About on par with my F7 then, with a much better ride. Cool. I hear you on the orange, they've been missing the mark alot lately on the color schemes, that High Country looks pretty slick, the 22 orange and grey looked horrible online and even worse in person. The black and orange for 23 looked pretty decent.
I'm a fan of orange myself
Snowmobile Sky Snow Automotive tire Vehicle

Congrats... picked mine up April 09... one year to the day after my order.

I hope yours is assembled correctly... mine wasn't. Rear skid shock shaft was turned the wrong way (Cat). On ski shock was turned the wrong way (dealer). Nothing major... just couldn't turn the rebound.
Thank you, and yeah, those late deliveries are the only reason I got my hands on this one, sucks for everyone who ordered and didn't even get to ride last winter, especially those who sold their old sled first. I'll check it out when it comes time to pick it up but my dealership is a small operation, just a staff of 3 or 4. They're pretty good about putting things together right.

·
Premium Member
21,872 Posts
I was going to say the ‘22 was as fast as the ‘12s…..maybe not as fast up top as a good F7, but I didn’t even want to ride firecats back when they were new….(and I had them) even less desire these days.

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
About on par with my F7 then, with a much better ride. Cool. I hear you on the orange, they've been missing the mark alot lately on the color schemes, that High Country looks pretty slick, the 22 orange and grey looked horrible online and even worse in person. The black and orange for 23 looked pretty decent.
I'm a fan of orange myself
View attachment 2135032

Thank you, and yeah, those late deliveries are the only reason I got my hands on this one, sucks for everyone who ordered and didn't even get to ride last winter, especially those who sold their old sled first. I'll check it out when it comes time to pick it up but my dealership is a small operation, just a staff of 3 or 4. They're pretty good about putting things together right.
that scheme f7 was the best looking one for sure.love those.

Reactions: F7SnoReaper

·
Registered
414 Posts
For sure, I have no plans on touching the motor until next season after it's been broken in and has made it out of warranty.

I was leary of the 800 with its track record over the past couple years, but I had a long talk with the dealer and he said none of the 22s came in for warranty work on the engine. Plus the RR is, like you said, arguably the best looking sled on the snow, hard to resist. Seen one parked at the Trillium in Cherry Creek last year and it's been in my head ever since.

Thank you! Now the long wait till snowflakes begins

·
Registered
414 Posts
Great sled,you should have many miles of smiles ✅. Once your warranty period is over, and if you see yourself keeping the sled long term,you should consider the lower disc brake bearing repair offered by Barn of Parts.Essential if you doing performance mods.Enjoy that sled 🛷

·
Registered
160 Posts
Local dealer had a new 22' RR, decided to pull the trigger on it yesterday. Still in the crate, will be picking it up around the end of September once it's built.
Looking for thoughts and tips on set up.
Going to run 96 studs. Haven't decided on what skags yet, dealer recommended snowtrackers. Runs them on his personal sleds and loves them.
Heard the front skid shock spring is light, I'm about 215-220 in gear, is that something that needs to be replaced before the 1st ride?
Thoughts on the 22 800? What kind of fuel and oil mileage are you seeing?

Thanks,
Reaper
View attachment 2135006
Good luck with your new ride. I have used 6” shaper and 6” deuce bars. I like them both. On 2 different sleds so not apples to apples here. Dont think you can go wrong either way. Don’t like Woodys doolies. Deuce are beter Imo. As for studs, I’ve studded several sleds with 96 up the middle with double backers. Very durable setup. Never seen a pull out on any of them. Just make sure they wont hit anything with doubles. Did a buddies Doo and found the heads rubbed on the front shock eyelet and wore into it. Polaris not an issue. Has plenty of clearance. Just plan it out carefully before you start drilling.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If the heads wore into the shock eye, they would have either way no matter the backers used. They shouldn’t though….maybe the shock bushings were worn out on the doo.
Yes. It was the spacing. The Doo track had bumps where you drill the holes. Pattern already laid out. None of them were directly in the center of the track. I layed them out in a v pattern but doing double backers it’s 4 in every other belt not 2 in each obviously. So starting the pattern is 2 backers right next to each other in the middle. If you look at the track it almost touches the eyelet already. Maybe1/4” clearance at most. So I guess when the track bunches up on braking or on top end they would rub on the eyelet. We took out that center row and he just ran with less studs. I guess the Doo engineers maked them for good reason. By the way the sled is a 17 MXZ 850. Now he runs unstudded on his new track.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yes. It was the spacing. The Doo track had bumps where you drill the holes. Pattern already laid out. None of them were directly in the center of the track. I layed them out in a v pattern but doing double backers it’s 4 in every other belt not 2 in each obviously. So starting the pattern is 2 backers right next to each other in the middle. If you look at the track it almost touches the eyelet already. Maybe1/4” clearance at most. So I guess when the track bunches up on braking or on top end they would rub on the eyelet. We took out that center row and he just ran with less studs. I guess the Doo engineers maked them for good reason. By the way the sled is a 17 MXZ 850. Now he runs unstudded on his new track.
Sled was brand new. 0 miles when we studded it so bushings weren’t worn.

·
Premium Member
21,872 Posts
There’s another reason not to ride doo. I wasn’t aware of that design. I’ve studded more sleds (aggressively) than a guy should ever admit to (purchased studs by the 1000 count boxes maybe it was 2000…back in the good ole days), never ran into that problem, but it’s not really a “problem” on the skidoo I suppose, since it was designed that way.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I was going to say the ‘22 was as fast as the ‘12s…..maybe not as fast up top as a good F7, but I didn’t even want to ride firecats back when they were new….(and I had them) even less desire these days.
Eh it didn't bother me too much, they're fun sleds. I averaged about 8.7mpg calculated on my F7 though, and that makes long rides a real pain. They definitely require a lot of work to ride fast without getting bucked off or bouncing into the trees, but they'll out turn anything if you get it right and don't find moguls mid corner.
that scheme f7 was the best looking one for sure.love those.
Agreed, too bad I busted the hood at the hinges last season. I have another one I'm sending to have painted but no clue how I'm going to get accurate decals made.
Great sled,you should have many miles of smiles ✅. Once your warranty period is over, and if you see yourself keeping the sled long term,you should consider the lower disc brake bearing repair offered by Barn of Parts.Essential if you doing performance mods.Enjoy that sled 🛷
As long as it doesn't leave me trailside, I'll probably have it for the next decade. I know there's the bop shaft saver, I also heard there's another company that makes a more refined product for that but I can't remember who it was.
Good luck with your new ride. I have used 6” shaper and 6” deuce bars. I like them both. On 2 different sleds so not apples to apples here. Dont think you can go wrong either way. Don’t like Woodys doolies. Deuce are beter Imo. As for studs, I’ve studded several sleds with 96 up the middle with double backers. Very durable setup. Never seen a pull out on any of them. Just make sure they wont hit anything with doubles. Did a buddies Doo and found the heads rubbed on the front shock eyelet and wore into it. Polaris not an issue. Has plenty of clearance. Just plan it out carefully before you start drilling.
Thank you! Yeah I think I'm going to give the shapers a try. I always just ran 6" trailblazers on the F7 and liked them, with 153 studs.
I'm just gonna give the dealer $100 and let him stud this one since my wallets already open, it's tedious and I do tedious all day at work lol.

·
Registered
160 Posts
There’s another reason not to ride doo. I wasn’t aware of that design. I’ve studded more sleds (aggressively) than a guy should ever admit to (purchased studs by the 1000 count boxes maybe it was 2000…back in the good ole days), never ran into that problem, but it’s not really a “problem” on the skidoo I suppose, since it was designed that way.
Yea that was a first for me too. I’ve studded many also. Never had a problem. Not sure why more people don’t run doubles? They hold up great for trail riding.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Eh it didn't bother me too much, they're fun sleds. I averaged about 8.7mpg calculated on my F7 though, and that makes long rides a real pain. They definitely require a lot of work to ride fast without getting bucked off or bouncing into the trees, but they'll out turn anything if you get it right and don't find moguls mid corner.

Agreed, too bad I busted the hood at the hinges last season. I have another one I'm sending to have painted but no clue how I'm going to get accurate decals made.

As long as it doesn't leave me trailside, I'll probably have it for the next decade. I know there's the bop shaft saver, I also heard there's another company that makes a more refined product for that but I can't remember who it was.

Thank you! Yeah I think I'm going to give the shapers a try. I always just ran 6" trailblazers on the F7 and liked them, with 153 studs.
I'm just gonna give the dealer $100 and let him stud this one since my wallets already open, it's tedious and I do tedious all day at work lol.
Latest update from Travis @Barn of parts,is a new concept driveshaft bearing/collar repair.Long term fix that locks the bearing inner race to the driveshaft with 3 Allen screws.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yes th
stay out of the center 1 1/2 of the track so the stud back don't hit the shock eyelet.
Yes. That’s what I’m saying. Many Polaris I’ve done in the center has never been an issue. R-motions it is a big issue. Not sure on Cats. Just a heads up for everyone who never thought about that problem.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts