Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local dealer had a new 22' RR, decided to pull the trigger on it yesterday. Still in the crate, will be picking it up around the end of September once it's built.
Looking for thoughts and tips on set up.
Going to run 96 studs. Haven't decided on what skags yet, dealer recommended snowtrackers. Runs them on his personal sleds and loves them.
Heard the front skid shock spring is light, I'm about 215-220 in gear, is that something that needs to be replaced before the 1st ride?
Thoughts on the 22 800? What kind of fuel and oil mileage are you seeing?

Thanks,
Reaper
Sky Cloud Ecoregion Green Nature

·
Registered
176 Posts
I would try the stud boy shaper carbides. I had them on my 2020 ZR800 and was very pleased with their performance. 6 inch is all that was needed with 2 studs per bar. Mine went wherever you pointed it with NO ski lift.
I think the duallys work better in sleds like the turbo 4 strokes.
I am going to put the shapers on my new Sidewinder after years of running duallys.
I would also run the front skid spring first before replacing. I took the Raptor spring OUT of my 2020 and went back to stock. The skid will probably need some adjustment anyway for your riding style.
You may not want to hear this, but the factory tune is pretty lean down low. The PEFI tune really smooths the bottom out, and gets rid of any low speed spark knock you may experience. The tune really smooths the power delivery out. Maybe the 2022 tune is different, I dont know. If not i would recommend the PEFI upgrade.
That 2022 800RR is one of the best looking sleds on snow. Nice buy. Fun sled.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I would try the stud boy shaper carbides. I had them on my 2020 ZR800 and was very pleased with their performance. 6 inch is all that was needed with 2 studs per bar. Mine went wherever you pointed it with NO ski lift.
I think the duallys work better in sleds like the turbo 4 strokes.
I am going to put the shapers on my new Sidewinder after years of running duallys.
I would also run the front skid spring first before replacing. I took the Raptor spring OUT of my 2020 and went back to stock. The skid will probably need some adjustment anyway for your riding style.
You may not want to hear this, but the factory tune is pretty lean down low. The PEFI tune really smooths the bottom out, and gets rid of any low speed spark knock you may experience. The tune really smooths the power delivery out. Maybe the 2022 tune is different, I dont know. If not i would recommend the PEFI upgrade.
That 2022 800RR is one of the best looking sleds on snow. Nice buy. Fun sled.
Thank you, I was thinking I wouldn't need much more than an aggressive 6" single. I had considered doing a dually/single set up as well.
As far as being sensitive to the rear skid adjustments, it'll take me a while I think to find a fault after the last 7 years riding Firecats. But sounds great, I'll leave the spring in and give it a shot.
The dealer told me the map is smoothed over for 22, it still has a lean spot but it's very small compared to 21. He also suggested a precision flash down the road if I'm worried. I think next year after the warranty I'm going to spring for a speedwerx stage 2 kit, with the flash.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
The speedwerx stock trail flash is excellent as well. Does not add any power as the PEFI flash apparently does. Have it on my 21 RIOT and it's smooth running. No hiccups burbles or bad spots anywhere. As stated it's for everything stock and spins at 81-8200 (totally stock clutching) with an ultimax xs828 on the RIOT. Good choice as well if not looking to add power.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You definitely needed to pull the RPM's down on those 2020's. It would tickle 8500 stock. After the flash and correct clutching and air box mods 8000 is as high as it would turn. Again, not sure what the 2022 will do but I would not do anything until after break in.
Livingstons in N.H. did my PEFI flash then rode it a few times. They then put a few frogskins in the air box and rode it some more. They said not all sleds needed the airbox mod.
They use the Bikeman/Goldstar type of weight but I dont see why a Dalton weight wouldnt work also. They also change the primary spring after the flash

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
You definitely needed to pull the RPM's down on those 2020's. It would tickle 8500 stock. After the flash and correct clutching and air box mods 8000 is as high as it would turn. Again, not sure what the 2022 will do but I would not do anything until after break in.
Livingstons in N.H. did my PEFI flash then rode it a few times. They then put a few frogskins in the air box and rode it some more. They said not all sleds needed the airbox mod.
They use the Bikeman/Goldstar type of weight but I dont see why a Dalton weight wouldnt work also. They also change the primary spring after the flash
This is some good info, first being, wait until after break in to adjust anything motor wise. It seems obvious, but to some, it is not. Secondly, is 8k the sweet spot for these motors? I'm switching from a 600 to an 800 this year, and want to have a number in the back of my head as the motor breaks in, so I know where I need to be.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Again, not sure what the 2022 will do but I would not do anything until after break in.
For sure, I have no plans on touching the motor until next season after it's been broken in and has made it out of warranty.

I was leary of the 800 with its track record over the past couple years, but I had a long talk with the dealer and he said none of the 22s came in for warranty work on the engine. Plus the RR is, like you said, arguably the best looking sled on the snow, hard to resist. Seen one parked at the Trillium in Cherry Creek last year and it's been in my head ever since.

Congrats on the new ride!!👍🏼🇺🇸😎
Thank you! Now the long wait till snowflakes begins

Reactions: Al Czervik

·
Premium Member
21,856 Posts
My 22 RR is the fastest, up top, out of the box 800’s I’ve had. And I’ve had them all. I don’t know if it’s the factory ecu tune, the new clutch, or both, but it’s a good sled. I’ve got three 1.6’s per bar……stock tiny carbides up front…stock skid spring too.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Congrats on your new iron
Thank you!
My 22 RR is the fastest, up top, out of the box 800’s I’ve had. And I’ve had them all. I don’t know if it’s the factory ecu tune, the new clutch, or both, but it’s a good sled. I’ve got three 1.6’s per bar……stock tiny carbides up front…stock skid spring too.
Sweet, that's what I like to hear. What kind of numbers are you seeing? Which style handguards are those and how do they do blocking the wind, they look like they have good coverage? And it looks great, I dig that Honda in front of it as well!
Will be picking my 22 600 RR mid October. Congrats. Best looking sled so far.
Same to you, and I agree!

On that note, Gellners has 2 6000 RRs in stock still in the crate if anyone is looking.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts