Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey well last time i was on here i had the topic up of the 02 edge 600 beating my 98 XC 700. Well i just got back from out west and found some things out after going through the carbs. On my needle in the carbs my clip is in the 1st position and thats when i ride around here in mn, would that may be the reason for my 700 losing to a edge 600? What should the clip be at for maximum performance?

·
Registered
47,344 Posts
They are suspose to be in the middle clip position....polaris calibrates their 121'' sleds to run at 0-3000 ft. and jetted rich enough to encounter -30f temps. By raising the clip you lean the mid range part of the carb opening out...this is generally where most riders trail ride....by doing so one can cause the motor to seize up when ridden in cold temps or prolonged mid range operation at near or sea level elevations...at least thats the way its been explained to me..

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah thats exactly what i have heard too. But whats really weird is this has been there since as long as i known we have owned the sled and ive ridden in -30 weather and never burned it down? Should i put it back to the 3rd clip?

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Are you saying 1st as top or bottom? Clip # is always from the top down. If you had it in #1 at the top and it did not burn down, definately replace the float pins, needle valves, and have the float heights checked with the proper tool.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah the clips were on the number 1 as in the top clip... So i should replace all that on both carbs? Do you think that could be where im losing power and a 600 is beating me? Thanks for the help in adv.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I would say look at everything ,cutaways pilot main and needle jets and the jet needle along with what pockets said someone may have put different parts in and had to compensate for it. just check to make sure they are correct as long as you know someone has ben in there

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey pockets can you elaborate a little more on like maybe how those parts can go bad? Theres 5300 miles on the sled. Do they just get worn in time/miles. I have had the carbs apart many times to clean them but what/where exactly are the float pins and needle valves?
Sorry for the questions just trying to figure this all out.

·
Registered
435 Posts
The float pins are the small (shinny) pins that hold in the floats, When you tip the carbs on the sides these pins might slide out of there holes and your floats will also fall out. These are known to wear just because of time and miles. The needle valves are the little rubber tipped parts that are resting on the float and go into the bottom of the carb. They let the fuel into the carb when the float is down and shut off fuel flow when the floats are up. So if you take out the float pin, the float will come out and the needle valve also. And yes your clips should be in the middle position.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah actually i have taken apart my carbs and i tip my carb to the side and the pins just slide right out and fall out. So thats a bad thing if they do slide right out? Yeah and i will also buy new needle valves also. Anyone know what the price for those would be for both carbs?
Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.