Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a minor leak at the weld between the exhaust flange and Y-pipe on my 99 ZL 500 (carbed). The location is quite accessable for welding (see pic).

Question is: Should I remove the Y-pipe from the machine before welding it?

My two main concerns with welding while on the machine are: 1) Possible electrical damage and 2) Y-pipe gasket damage or cylinder damage.

Thanks for the help.

Of course, with the lack of snow in Ontario, I have lots of time to wipe up the oil leak each time I run the sled in the garage!!!
[attachment=277415:Capture3.jpg]

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Yes, u should take it off when welding, U may get stuff inside of pipe and into the jug ,I would not take that chance.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
I have a minor leak at the weld between the exhaust flange and Y-pipe on my 99 ZL 500 (carbed). The location is quite accessable for welding (see pic).

Question is: Should I remove the Y-pipe from the machine before welding it?

My two main concerns with welding while on the machine are: 1) Possible electrical damage and 2) Y-pipe gasket damage or cylinder damage.

Thanks for the help.

Of course, with the lack of snow in Ontario, I have lots of time to wipe up the oil leak each time I run the sled in the garage!!!
[attachment=277415:Capture3.jpg][/b]
Why bother.....? For 20 bucks,!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/arctic-cat-...1QQcmdZViewItem

.....and more there too.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the responses, guys. I will definitely remove the Y-pipe before I get it welded.

However, I’m so pig sick of working on that sled over the past 3-4 months that I’m still looking for a temporary repair solution which could plug this minor leak for a few hundred miles. (At that point, I’ll want to take off the pipe anyway to look at my new pistons)

I know you guys in the US like to use JB Weld to fix everything from broken dinner plates to cracked engine blocks!! I was kinda hoping someone had successfully used it on a 1300 F exhaust manifold…..????

BTW, Slddog, are you calling me cheap???? Hey, I’m willing to spend 5 bucks on JB. And.. I’ve got two cases of Guinness ready for when we stud the track (now don’t call me cheap because a case of Guinness only has four cans)!!!.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Muffler Mender? I think that's what it is called. It's a paste for mending muffler leaks?

I removed mine to weld it up. It was a lot worse than yours but the y pipe was warped after the job was done. We had to notch the mounting holes to accpet the studs after.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
EASY...
remove it from engine...

wire wheel the affected area to bare metal both inside and out then clean with a good acitone cleaner

get a peice of 2x4 and place your Ypipe on it flange down clamp it into place ( vice grips / Cclanps etc ) and mark out the holes where it mounts to the head

then remove Y pipe and drill out the holes in 2x4 install bolts and clamp the Y pipe to the 2x4

then weld away going slow and letting it cool between small sections of welding

when the outside has been welded totally let it cool completely and remove from the 2x4 and weld the inside where its cracked slowly trying to not build up too much excessive heat

smooth out inside weld with die grinder ,file,sandpaper etc and reinstall and have fun ...

what I would do

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.