Hardcore Sledder banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did a lot of research on this and found some of the best info on Doo talk. I bought a CKX titan and a set of their heated goggles. I ordered a set of the pro-vue goggles along with a set of cheaper clip in inserts from Goggles n more. Right away I didn't like the clip in inserts as the frames are small and at the distance they are at in the goggles I noticed the frames too much. The pro-vues are flat out awesome. After deciding I liked the pro-vues I ordered a second set as he offers a discount on the second set. I removed the inserts from them and carefully drilled holes in my heated CKX lenses and wear those on cold days with no fogging at all even when stopped for long periods of time. I wear the 100% goggles that Pro-Vue uses on warm days. The trick I found to making it work is keeping my head cool which means no chin curtain and the thinnest balaclava I can wear for the temp. the helmet is very warm with no wind leaks If I hear or feel wind I know something is out of place and stop and just remove the goggles and adjust the skirt around the goggle port of the helmet.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Has anyone tried the CKX mission helmet with glasses? It looks like it might work. I am trying to avoid goggles if I can. Contacts not an option.
Son has Mission with regular visor not heated. Wears sunglasses all the time and never fogs. I couldn’t believe it until I saw him in playing climbing hills in the boonies getting stuck sweating and no fogging. He just flips the visor when stopped slams it shut when he’s moving works great. The venting in them is crazy. In extreme cold you can see his breath shooting out the two back vents. It really works well for venting. It’s a must to fit it correctly with the breath box but once your set it’s fantastic.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
HJC MX helmet, Ski-Doo Mountain balaclava, and Castle Stage OTG goggles. That has worked well for me for the last 10 years.
I am buying Pro-Vue Goggles next with my prescription. I may even drop in to his shop that is located in southern MN. I'm also going to be trying an OTG goggle from Judged Gear this year. There are cut out's on the side of the face foam for glasses versus my other OTG goggles where I have had to trim the foam for my glasses on my 3XL head.....

·
Registered
2014 Polaris Indy 800 XC / 2005 Polaris Indy 800 XCSp
3,022 Posts
Has anyone tried the CKX mission helmet with glasses? It looks like it might work. I am trying to avoid goggles if I can. Contacts not an option.
I spent an hour at miilw show with the mission helmet. Finally got to try one. Figured out which deflector nose piece fit right, with glasses on.
Glasses work in the helmet. I could not get use to that type of nose piece against my nose.
Bought an Oxygen helmet.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I wear my glasses under my Mod 3 with the visor plugged in but cracked open a bit.

I've always ridden with my visor open. For me this works.

It seems my glasses with glass lenses and metal frame seem to work the best, and "clear" quickly.

I don't use anything on the lenses.

Reactions: Olgreen

·
Registered
248 Posts
Why would anyone want to bother with prescription goggles rather than contacts??

I guess if you don't need a huge correction you can manage without glasses/goggles for a minute it might be OK but for me, before I had my surgery, I was close to blind without glasses or contacts so the first thing I would have to do after stopping would be to pull out my glasses and put them on. (standing still with goggles on usually means fogging up immediately).

Yes, learning to put the contacts in, and perhaps worse, take them out can be a bit of a challenge but I say it here and now, the contacts is by far the best sled upgrade I have ever bought!!

·
Super Moderator
2016 1200 Renegade X
272 Posts
Why would anyone want to bother with prescription goggles rather than contacts??

I guess if you don't need a huge correction you can manage without glasses/goggles for a minute it might be OK but for me, before I had my surgery, I was close to blind without glasses or contacts so the first thing I would have to do after stopping would be to pull out my glasses and put them on. (standing still with goggles on usually means fogging up immediately).

Yes, learning to put the contacts in, and perhaps worse, take them out can be a bit of a challenge but I say it here and now, the contacts is by far the best sled upgrade I have ever bought!!

My prescription is pretty light, and I typically ride without my glasses, but once it gets dark I have a hard time seeing well without them. I have ordered a Mission helmet in hopes I can wear the glasses without fogging. I've read lots of good reports on it.

I've worn contacts for sports, but I don't like them and after a few hours they start to bother me.

·
Registered
248 Posts
One of the major benefits with not having glasses is that the "world stops moving around". I found that even with a perfectly fitting helmet it moved a little on my head and the moving helmet made the glasses move a bit and that "made the world jump" some too. It almost felt like cheating when I started wearing contacts, I could ride much faster with no effort at all both on and off trail. I must add though that i was very nearsighted and the jumping around bit might be less of a problem with lighter prescriptions.
(i say "was" nearsighted because a year ago I had surgery and replaced both lenses in my eyes and the new lenses has correction built in, so nowadays I don need correction at all for anything beyond a meter or so, close up I need reading glasses)

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I hate contact lenses. It I hate wearing glasses too.
Weird, one day I could read that tiny print on (for example) a carburator jet, and the next day I couldn't.

Eye surgery to correct my vision is on my list soon.

I wear wire framed glasses with glass lenses under my helmet.

But I really only need them for reading.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I started using Pro-Vue in 1998 and it was fantastic for years. Then when the price of Lasik got cheap I had the procedure. I don't know anyone who doesn't fight dry eyes wearing contacts when riding. Plenty of options out there.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts