Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the poop!!

its a zr-800 (01) with the updated piston kit.

WEnt out riding .. about 40 minutes into the ride the machine acts like its loading up and will not runn well until the APV vavles open. It also would not idle.

I came to a stop to bs with some buds , let the machine (try and run idle) and it was throwing out 1-2 foot flames out the exhaust !!! I turned it off and shoved a glove in the echaust tube to smother the flames.

well I have to get home!!
so anyways I started it agian and it happened agian about 15 minutes later..

I tried it agian the next day and it did the same thing only once at the end going home I held it to the bar for about a good 5 miles!! ( love those long lakes!!!) it seemed much better it would at least idle and when I cracked the throttle the thing took off instead of falling on its face.

Now I guess Im going to try it agian this week

ANY REPLY IS WORTH READING !!!! .... ANY HELP TOO!!!

MR_-ZR

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I would guess the question is how did the pipe collect raw fuel? My understanding of backfire after shut off and flames from the exhaust are the result of raw fuel in the pipe. Did stuff get in the pipe while it was in the shop? Has it gotten better the more you ride it? Are the exhaust valves working properly? It sounds like a hot sled, but propbably not in the way you'd like to be. ;)

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Do a quick check of the carbs. Look to see if the pilot jet is loose or has fallen out. Check if the needle is still on the hook. Check the fuel inlets and floats. It may be as easy as a fouled or bridged spark plug

·
Registered
191 Posts
How long since the update was done? The dealer should have added oil in the gas tank for break in, he may of added too much oil and/or turned up your oil pump. Might run like a toilet til get through the first tank of fuel.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I agree the dealer probably put either oil in the gas or turned up the oil pump and thats why it ran better after a long pull down the lake it had a chance to clear it self out. As for the flames out of the exhaust I know that a lot of 600 efi sleds do this after a long pull and then shutting it of the flames arent due to actual raw fuel sitting in the pipe its because the pipe is at its max temp. and it ignites the un burnt gases in the pipe, My 900 does it the odd time. But maybe not to the degree your talking about. :huh:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok the Pistons were done over 800 miles ago.

THe dealer DID NOT touch the oil pump!

THe amount of flames that came out sure makes me wonder !

I know that machines have backfires etc, but they do not have 1-2 foot flames comming out for like a few seconds.

I checked the plugs and piston crown. the Pistons look fine one plug was a little carboned ip. I did change plugs last ride (no effect) anyways Im going to try it agian this weekend ... Like I said it seemed to run better at the end of the ride last week.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WEll FINALLY

after 6hrs of Diagnostic's MY dealership as decided that the problem with my machine is the exhaust ?

great !!! and of course they dont have one in stock !!!

but they are taking one off a brand new 800 in the show room so I can take my machine this weekend and test it to see if its better... nice guys!!

mr-zr

1 - 7 of 7 Posts