Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a trip to wawa, never been before. Staying at the wawa motor inn how do you get trail access and does anyone know any good spots for a bit of backcountry. I know there is lots but where would we begin once we get there. Thanks

·
Administrator
24,521 Posts
Planning a trip to wawa, never been before. Staying at the wawa motor inn how do you get trail access and does anyone know any good spots for a bit of backcountry. I know there is lots but where would we begin once we get there. Thanks

Trail is right across the road from WMI. Can’t miss it.

The entire area lives, eats and breathes snowmobiling. No worries with finding your way around.

There is an area called The Badlands that most people go to for off trail riding. It’s on the other side of Wawa Lake (north end, iirc). I will say this, is usually really deep in there (we had all 155’s and a 144 and we were stuck most of the day. All riders are seasoned off trail riders btw) AND it’s basically an old rock quarry or something. It is mostly all rock underneath.

·
Registered
193 Posts
head south on the D trail toward Halfway haven. after you get past mcphail dam, and the anjigami power station, it is a giant powerline corridor, with A LOT of snow, and terrain. bumps, are stumps (well... rocks). bring spare suspension parts. Ski

·
Registered
39 Posts
https://www.jonespowersports.com/

Stop by Jones Powersports and talk to Gord. He'll give you a local map and point you in the right direction.
https://www.jonespowersports.com/

·
Registered
77 Posts
If the snow is not ideal, it’s not a great place to go. There’s not much of anything to do in town. Lots of rocks and uncovered treasures to hit. Trails are good, but I disagree on the quality & frequency of sinage; there’s also not an abundance of fuel stops or destinations without a long ride. If the lake effect machine turns on though, it’s a fun area and a change of pace that will give a mountain sled all it has to offer.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I’ve never had a bad stay at the Wawa Motor Inn or a bad ride experience either. Great area.

·
Registered
41 Posts
ernies

Anyone know if you can make it to Ernies in Missanabie? I see the F trail is green except the staked lake trail which is red on the interactive trail map on ofsc site. Heading to Wawa on Sunday and riding Monday through Wednesday and trying to plan our destinations for each day. staying at wawa motor inn.

·
Registered
193 Posts
you can get to ernies BUT, you have to call in advance for food and fuel. fish derby weekend, in Wawa this weekend, you may have a tough time finding a room sunday night. the lake from the F trail to Ernies (dog lake) is not staked, hasnt been for several years. need to follow tracks, or rely on your memory, or gps track. Ski

·
Registered
41 Posts
wawa

I called and they said if we come up sunday they would have a room for us, we were going to stay in the sault but decided to drive all the way sunday to wawa,its been 14 years since I've been in the area but I remember way to ernies if it is ok to take trail even if it is red.

·
Registered
2 Posts
we just got close to a foot of snow yesterday, you will have a great trip, trails will be rough around hawk junction because of the derby but everything else will be awesome:bc:

·
Registered
193 Posts
the only red part of the "trail" is the lake itself because, it is not staked. ride at your own risk. and again, call ahead to ernies, he may not be there, or may not open for just a few people. make sure to go see Ken at the big bear in Hawk Junction. he has put a lot of hard work into the inside, and has great food. Ski

1 - 12 of 12 Posts