Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, was at the dealer yesterday, and one of the guys there asked me if my 02 XC800 wasn't long overdue for a replacement.. I agreed to take the 700 Dragon Switchback for a ride or 2, as I'm not familiar with the newer sleds at all.
(Maybe this shoulda been posted in the SB/RMK subforum, but I thought it would be interesting for my fellow XC/XCR diehards :D)

My first impression was that the riding positon was great, seat and handlebar shape/height fit me perfectly. Also lots of leg room,which the F7 I rode last year totally lacked.
Was a little disappointed of the power at first, my piped 02 800 felt much stronger. A buddy was riding along with me on my 02.
500 miles on the clock, I assume its not fully broken in yet. There was some on/off action form the CFI system at part throttle , but not anywhere as noticeable as it was on a buddies Renegade 1000, where 'dead spots' was really annoying at certain speeds.

The chassis was typical Polaris, stable and forgiving. But the higher center of gravity took a little getting used to as it felt a little more tippy than my 02 xc8. Steering effort was low, but the ski bite was not more than just adequate. I did not check the carbides, I guess they could be pretty worn. Found some loose snow, but actually found it somewhat harder to sidehill than my xc800.
Suspension calibration was firm but not at all harsh. Actually reminded me of the Pro-X, the way it worked.

Swapped sleds so I got on my xc. Coming right off the Dragon SB, entering the saddle on the XC felt like I was back on my 99 xcsp with the low racer seat - even with 2" rise on the handlebars and seat raised 1.5". With the SLP single, it definately has more grunt than the 700.

Wind protection - with the low windshield, the Dragon SB has to be the coldest sled I've ever ridden :brr: The wind was hitting me from the bellybutton on up,and literally blew right thru my 'state of the art' Rukka 1-pc suit.

Did some more riding today, this time with a buddy that was riding his g/f's Cat Z1.
We swapped sleds for a couple miles, the Z1 felt much more bulky than the SB. Very good ergo's on this one too, effortless steering and no darting it'll probably be a great sled for those 300 mile days.
The engine was quiet and engaged at a low 1600 rpm, and had some serious grunt. Poor traction (snow covered ice) where we rode, so I had to feather the throttle to keep the track from breaking loose.
The handlebars,windshield and seat are all adjustable in several positions. But way more 'plasticy' (is that a word?) than I prefer, just like the goudy plastics on the fusion. The rear end on the Z1/F-series is the most hideous in the biz IMO.

My buddy,which also is a Polaris faithful, commented on the SB that the engine was pretty powerful for a 700, said he liked the chassis better than the Z1 and when I said that the suspension reminded me of a Pro-X , he said "My thoughts exactly"
He also commented on how cold it was to ride - I guess we're just getting old... :D

·
Registered
17,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to add,
actually looking to get 1 more season out of the sleds I've already got in the stable, but now I've got some more inspiration to improve the ol'gal.
Plans:
- Front shocks long overdue for a rebuild, probably time for new springs too.
- Needs more handlebar rise, I guess a 3.5-4.5" pivoting riser would be perfect. Along with 1" extra foam in the seat. A straighter handlebar would be nice too...
- HID kit.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have read alot of good feedback from magazines a few different ones that compared the polaris SB aswell as arctic cat and ski doos always hearing that the SB has the best shocks on them ive wanted to try out the new sleds but have to wait till next year so im 16 then i will get to enjoy these more fun machines good review on it though thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,019 Posts
Ivar,
put 4'' of foam in the seat, it will work and feels great.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Swapped sleds so I got on my xc. Coming right off the Dragon SB, entering the saddle on the XC felt like I was back on my 99 xcsp with the low racer seat - even with 2" rise on the handlebars and seat raised 1.5". With the SLP single, it definately has more grunt than the 700.[/b]
Not surprising. The Dragon is only 140 hp and your 800 with a pipe should be at least 145-150 hp.

Did some more riding today, this time with a buddy that was riding his g/f's Cat Z1.
We swapped sleds for a couple miles, the Z1 felt much more bulky than the SB. Very good ergo's on this one too, effortless steering and no darting it'll probably be a great sled for those 300 mile days.
The engine was quiet and engaged at a low 1600 rpm, and had some serious grunt. Poor traction (snow covered ice) where we rode, so I had to feather the throttle to keep the track from breaking loose.
The handlebars,windshield and seat are all adjustable in several positions. But way more 'plasticy' (is that a word?) than I prefer, just like the goudy plastics on the fusion. The rear end on the Z1/F-series is the most hideous in the biz IMO.[/b]
Interesting. Ive been wanting to try out on of those Z1Rs. Im surprised at the 1600 rpm clutch engagement. I know 4-strokes have a lot more lowend torque, but dang thats low. I wish Polaris would make a sled like the Jag Z1R. I like the FST, but I wish they would build a 1,000cc twin and get rid of the turbo. I think that would eliminate a lot of the problems that the FST has.

My buddy,which also is a Polaris faithful, commented on the SB that the engine was pretty powerful for a 700, said he liked the chassis better than the Z1 and when I said that the suspension reminded me of a Pro-X , he said "My thoughts exactly"
He also commented on how cold it was to ride - I guess we're just getting old... :D[/b]
Ive always thought the the Dragon and the IQ 600 HO was little more than a reintroduced Pro-X. Its funny, Polaris said they dropped the Pro-X because no one bought them, but the Dragon/IQ is basically the same kind of sled that the Pro-X was.

·
Registered
17,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ivar,
put 4'' of foam in the seat, it will work and feels great.[/b]
Already got 1.5" extra, thinking of adding 1.5-2" more.

I know 4-strokes have a lot more lowend torque, but dang thats low. I wish Polaris would make a sled like the Jag Z1R. I like the FST, but I wish they would build a 1,000cc twin and get rid of the turbo. I think that would eliminate a lot of the problems that the FST has.[/b]
We opened the engine compartment on the Z1 - the engine is really tucked away in there!
My buddy pointed out that there were lots of room for putting a huge turbo in there. (he had tried to convince his g/f that a turbo was a great idea, but no such luck yet :D)
Lots of Cat 660 Turbo's around here that runs without a hitch , so I really think Polaris should be able to make a Turbo sled work too.

And BTW,
The light switch on the SB demo was already missing the blue plastic piece, and I had to hold the switch in with my left thumb for several miles before it started to work properly. - Polaris, Isn't 9 years of that lousy design enough? :wall:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts