Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
04 polaris xc 800 ............belt removal tool stripped out the whole in the secondary , and 2 cover bolts snapped on the promary.

dealer said the bumper to bumper warranty is still good with a $50 ded. but i bought it used so she said she will enter it in under the original owners name (she's done it before).....

only thing is she said she will need to call polaris tommorow to see if they will warranty the clutches (for the reasons)...........DO YOU GUYS THINK POLARIS WILL OK IT ? , anyone else have this problem?

and will the warranty'd secondary be the new lighter team clutch , or the original , and will it come with a black red cw spring , or a ccw red black ?

thanks guys ....sorry for the long post :dunno:

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
my experience is she'll have to fight a little bit, but they may fight her unless you can prove you've not been doing any highperf work on them,,, (been my experiences :dunno: )

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah but i don't understand how they can call removing the relt to put a new one on "high performance work " .....or changing a broken slutch spring "hp work"....

if they don't honor their warranty i will never be buying from polaris again , i'll switch brands , cause this is why big buisnesses offer a warranty - for when things like this happen.

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
Alot of the waranty claims being approved comes on your dealer. If you have a good dealer they will cover it. I have got stuff covered under waranty when my sled was out of waranty.The new clutch will be what you have TSS-98.It will probably come with no spring or helix. You will use your old one.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
04 800 classic, mine stripped out, bud has same sled his stripped out, sled is actualy getting some repairs done as we speak, new starter(warrenty) new exhaust valves ( warrenty) new motor mounts , not warrenty, so while its in im gonna ask them , seems thay all do it, they should fix it

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
Remember, the cover bolts do not break on their own. They must have either been overtorqued, or seized. On the secondary, if you are not careful to thread the tool properly, and don't open it further than it needs to be to take the belt off, it can strip. Also if you EVER tried to open the clutch after you had it in reverse, and did not move the sled forward a bit before trying to open it. This is why many times when I was a dealer, I would cringe at guys doing their own work, when they were not sure or learning. The dealer or supplier cannot always be expected to cover mistakes.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well that's the thing , i am not stupid enough to try to use the removal tool while it was locked in reverse . it wasn't even in like 3 turns and it spit it back out with metal shavings on the tool that used to be the clutch threads.

and for the primary clutch , i brought it to the dealer to get "clutched" and they changed weights and springs for me, and i haven't touched it since. they have done all the work to my sled. i have had pretty good luck with them, i just hope for the best when she talks on the phone to the polaris rep. she is a very convincing person let me tell ya .lol :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
Originally posted by ThinkTwiceZ71@Sep 27 2005, 10:11 PM
well that's the thing , i am not stupid enough to try to use the removal tool while it was locked in reverse .  it wasn't even in like 3 turns and it spit it back out with metal shavings on the tool that used to be the clutch threads. 

and for the primary clutch , i brought it to the dealer to get "clutched" and they changed weights and springs for me, and i haven't touched it since.  they have done all the work to my sled.  i have had pretty good luck with them, i just hope for the best when she talks on the phone to the polaris rep.  she is a very convincing person let me tell ya .lol  :beerchug:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=896607
[/quote]
Well how did the bolts snap on the primary then? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that is what i wanna know , i know the people used lock tight on them but this is rediclouse.

does anyone know the phone # to the polaris warranty place or customer service about my clutches ? and a persons name that is good to talk to....thanks

had to bring both clutches over today to get pictures taken of them to send to polaris .......they said they don't know about warrantying them or not yet , but they can fix them they said if they don't .

:dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
sounds like they are staffed with junior high kids in the mechanic department. if the wrench guys overtorqued the bolts, or not in the right sequence, they can break with engine vibes. that is the most likely explanation for the primary clutch. do you have electronic reverse?? if so, they may have used it to get the sled in a stall area before swapping weights and springs. with out unlocking the helix from the sheeve before removing the belt, prior to popping the primary clutch, could also explain the weakened threads. or you cross-threaded the tool when using it. these are likely causes, not trying to point fingers. i would say your dealer needs to fix the primary for sure, deffinately their goof up. the secondary is up in the air. you can tap out the hole to a slightly larger thread and use a corresponding bolt size instead of the little tool.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Doubt if Polaris will warranty a whole clutch for broken bolts, those can easily be removed. Same for the secondary, it can be tapped out and use a larger "bolt" for openning it up. Never stripped that thread b4 and I change belts often to wear 2 of them out at the same time on 2 sleds! And if they do warranty it they'll give you the same secondary that was on there, sorry, no upgrade to the '04.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,548 Posts
Originally posted by Marvs660@Sep 29 2005, 04:23 AM
Doubt if Polaris will warranty a whole clutch for broken bolts, those can easily be removed.  Same for the secondary, it can be tapped out and use a larger "bolt" for openning it up.  Never stripped that thread b4 and I change belts often to wear 2 of them out at the same time on 2 sleds!  And if they do warranty it they'll give you the same secondary that was on there, sorry, no upgrade to the '04.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=898654
[/quote]
I would guess the previous owner tried opening the secondary when it was locked in the reverse mode. THAT person could have weakened or strippped the threads and then you discovered the pre existing problem. The threads are usually very strong, I have seen the hub area of the sheave dimpled and bent from the pressure from the belt removal tool, when the helix had been in the reverse lock notch.

The snapped primary cover bolts were probably due to over torquing, or not torquing with a pattern.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
the reson the belt removal tool stripped out is because polaris put the wrong size tool in the sleds toolkit ( acording to my dealer) so i think that part is an automatic fix, just like the gas tank s

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
Originally posted by stevefromwestford@Oct 3 2005, 04:56 AM
the reson the belt removal tool stripped out is because polaris put the wrong size tool in the sleds toolkit ( acording to my dealer) so i think that part is an automatic fix, just like the gas tank s
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=904996
[/quote]
Never heard that before. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,548 Posts
Originally posted by nickels@Oct 3 2005, 07:38 PM
Never heard that before.  :dunno:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=906375
[/quote]
That's because the ones with bad removal tools had the correct one taped to the front bumper, as I recollect, and the dealer was supposed to throw away the one in the toolkit and replace it with the new one.

I checked it is tip S-04-06-01 from June 2004 for some early build 2005 model sleds.

I could not find anything on 2004 800 Classic or 800 XC.

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
Originally posted by ExcursionPSD@Oct 3 2005, 11:09 PM
That's because the ones with bad removal tools had the correct one taped to the front bumper, as I recollect, and the dealer was supposed to throw away the one in the toolkit and replace it with the new one.

I checked it is tip S-04-06-01 from June 2004 for some early build 2005 model sleds.

I could not find anything on 2004 800 Classic or 800 XC.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=906869
[/quote]
I figured if it had happened it must of been a small amount of sleds. Because you would of heard about the problem if it was alot of sleds. :beerchug:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts