Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of the past few winters. I am similar to most of you. We enjoy the same things, snowmobiling and the FireCats. Weather it was your intention to get a new sled this year or not, we all ended up with one of these fast beasts.

Now, for me, my warranty is for 1 season, not 1 year. Looked into the warranty guidelines.

With all the bad seasons, lack of snow, don't you think machines that cost $8,000 should have a mileage warranty vs. a yearly/seasonal warranty?

Lets face it...If it doesn't start snowing in the next few weeks, our season is almost OVER! I'm sure there will be sleds out there with less than 400 miles on them and there will be no further liability by CAT.

I feel there should be something changed in regards, based on current issues with their sled!

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
great point....i totally agree...although ROB probably thinks this is just a horrible idea!!! his warranty would be over after the first week of riding :D :ph34r:

·
Registered
1 Posts
too easy to unhook the speedo and get extended warranty. The manufacturers will never go to mileage until they can guaranttee they won't be getting screwed.

S

·
0 Posts
With all these changes they are doing to our sleds they should give extended waranty for all the shop time we lost'

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by firecat513@Jan 7 2003, 10:43 PM
great point....i totally agree...although ROB probably thinks this is just a horrible idea!!! his warranty would be over after the first week of riding :D :ph34r:
you're right!

Polaris gives 2 year OR 5000 miles. Not many people know that. I would duct tape over my speedo when I needed service on my Poos :lol:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
i think cat owes a second year warranty on these firecats, especially us midwest guys with no snow!
put 3,500 miles on zr 800 last year and i was satisfied that i took advantage of the warranty that is std.
but this year i'll be lucky to hit 1,800 miles with this weather!

·
Registered
348 Posts
On the EFI models the speedo doesn't matter because it record the number of hours of engine operation. If you disconnect it they would know. Imagine bragging how fast the sled is and then they see 200 hours on the EFI computer and the speedo reads 1000 miles they would think you're a pussy who drives 5mph all the time!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking the same. With the new technology in tachs and speedo's, I dont think it's as simple to just "Un-Plug" it.

Has anyone unplugged their FireCat speedo? Has it had an effect on the sled, like "not starting?"

Look at the rev, the RX-1... It doesn't look like they are that easy to get at any more.

Yes, Rob does put a lot of miles on, which is awesome. Rob should know his sled is O.K. after 3,000 miles and no problems. It's the guy with 400 miles that will be worried.

Could end up costing us lots of $$ to fix a munufacturers mistake.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Ya never know, maybe CAT will extend the warranties for another season due to 4 recalls, so far!

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
For your info the new speedos are VERY simple to unhook. All you do is take off the speedo mounting flange under the secondary clutch and either break the little magnet or take it out. The tach still works fine. Now if any of you are a big enough prick to do this I'm sorry. All your doing is cheating your fellow riders.
Cat S.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Originally posted by dave cat 7@Jan 8 2003, 09:28 AM
i think cat owes a second year warranty on these firecats, especially us midwest guys with no snow!
put 3,500 miles on zr 800 last year and i was satisfied that i took advantage of the warranty that is std.
but this year i'll be lucky to hit 1,800 miles with this weather!
Cat Sent my Brother a free extented warrenty for his 2003 Mountian Cat 600EFI. No Idea why, he lives 5 miles from me, and I didn't get the extented warrenty for my F5.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We should all start sending CAT letters. Maybe create a generic one that you can print out, sign and send in. Who knows? Might get another years warranty???

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Just drop the price $1000 bucks each and forget the warranty!!! That way I don't have to wait for the dealer to fix it I can do it Myself!!!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Originally posted by Fire Chicken@Jan 8 2003, 11:18 AM
We should all start sending CAT letters.  Maybe create a generic one that you can print out, sign and send in.  Who knows?  Might get another years warranty???
Fire Chicken, if I recall you have a lot of mods on your sled. How do you feel about Cat covering warranties on sleds that people have made changes to? Was it the reeds that failed, how about the changed gearing, etc and so on. Just my opinion, but if I mod a sled right out of the gate, I accept the fact that I just voided the warranty for that part of the sled (track, tunnel, motor, clutch, etc)...I wouldn't be looking for an extra year...Marc

·
Registered
738 Posts
I don't have a strong argument as to what the time or mileage should be when your warranty is used up. I do know though, that it should definitely be more than 1 season. Look at low cost autos. They're not much more expensive than these beasts but their warranty is way better. I don't know, maybe we should all go buy yammies. They have fantastic warranty. Okay, sorry about that, just woke up from that hellish nightmare. Ah, get rid of that blue color, no no, no more please!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Team Artic. I would understand your point if you bored out your cylinders or did porting work, but reeds?? and gearing?? Cmon now, be realistic. That's like saying if I put a K&N filter on my truck the warranty should be void, or changing the gear from 3.73 to 4.11.

What i'm saying is... there are 4 recalls so far! "4"!!! That's not NORMAL! You mean to tell me as these things were going down the line, no one stopped to say..."Hey, these front suspension bolts are too short" Hell no!, and if someone did they were probably told to keep there mouth shut and keep putting them together so they could get them out. Gaurantee Cat didn't want any quality issues leaking out!

Another note... Cat won't warranty a track if it's studded, but they sure do make recommendations for studding in their manuals?????????? -_-

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also, BY LAW the manufacturer has to cover any warranty claim that arrises, even if the sled was altered.

The only way they don't have to is if the problem occured as a "DIRECT RESULT" of the alterations!

For instance, if I stud the inside of my track and the outside tears, bet your ass, i'll get a new track!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Originally posted by Fire Chicken@Jan 8 2003, 02:24 PM
Also, BY LAW the manufacturer has to cover any warranty claim that arrises, even if the sled was altered.

The only way they don't have to is if the problem occured as a "DIRECT RESULT" of the alterations!

For instance, if I stud the inside of my track and the outside tears, bet your ass, i'll get a new track!
Really, point me to that law..I have never seen it. Marc

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't need to point to it, it's directly from the mouth of my attorney that handled some issues I had with a dealer/Ford Motor Company regarding my SVT Lightning. Yes there were modifications made and yes the repairs were covered under warranty. There was no proff that the mods made caused the problems. Maybe added to to the problem, but wasn't a direct result.

I did see the verbage regarding manufacturers warranties but I do not have the book, nor do I want to go look for it.

I guess it's all up to the person. You have the right to bend over and take it, or fight back.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I also welcome any attorneys out there to comment on this!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts