Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Vendor
17,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three days in a row U.S.Forest Service and D.N.R. sat at the Muskegon River nailing people for water skipping by the bridge....they weren't sitting for an hour they sat ALL day.

Watch yourself if you like to skip that stretch of river.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I guess that means we'll have to wait to see if the new ride sinks or swims huh? Or did you find out about the treehugger enforcement team the hard way??

·
Registered
187 Posts
I guess that means we'll have to wait to see if the new ride sinks or swims huh? Or did you find out about the treehugger enforcement team the hard way??[/b]
Nope. We just saw them each time we crossed the bridge. No water crossings for us wimps.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Havent been to Houghton Lake since 1989 during tip up town....I remember being awestruck watching people blasting across open water at the south west (?) part of the lake, just down from the Burger King.

At the time I thought they had a screw loose!

Curious if it's the same place, and why are they taking enforcement action and what enforcement action are they taking? :dunno:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Havent been to Houghton Lake since 1989 during tip up town....I remember being awestruck watching people blasting across open water at the south west (?) part of the lake, just down from the Burger King.

At the time I thought they had a screw loose!

Curious if it's the same place, and why are they taking enforcement action and what enforcement action are they taking? :dunno:[/b]
No the area they are refering to is crossing a section of the Muskegon river northwest of the lake.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
why are they taking enforcement action ? :dunno:[/b]

I'm no tree hugger, but the last thing the river or lake needs is gas and oil from a sunk sled. I think if you do a search you'll see that the fine for a sunken sled includes "enviroment cleanup."

Ride the snow. It's "fun" value is incomparible. :)

Tony

·
Vendor
17,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm no tree hugger, but the last thing the river or lake needs is gas and oil from a sunk sled. I think if you do a search you'll see that the fine for a sunken sled includes "enviroment cleanup."

Tony[/b]
I believe you are correct....it's also has something to do with disturbing a wetland and it's eco-system. Never got the skipping thing....looks like a rush but not worth the risk of sinking.

·
Registered
270 Posts
So is it against the law to ride on water or is it the area there riding in??? seems to me as long as your sled has all the stickers....how the hell can they stop ya.......?????

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
So is it against the law to ride on water or is it the area there riding in??? seems to me as long as your sled has all the stickers....how the hell can they stop ya.......?????[/b]
You can ride on water all day long... if it's frozen. :lmao: I think it's the south side of the river that is all marsh area, i.e. protected wetland. The north side is a boat launch. Jenny needs more money this year. :(

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I believe you are correct....it's also has something to do with disturbing a wetland and it's eco-system. Never got the skipping thing....looks like a rush but not worth the risk of sinking.[/b]
Was that you on the lake Sunday with a blue RX1 and a bunch of other sleds?we all line them up and ran a few times?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
No that was not us River.[/b]
Ok there was a sled there that look like yours ,but I did not get to talk to them.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Tony[/b]

only in river gor ten minutes max../ gas and oil tanks vent through 1 way check valve, and next time your on the next to a two stoke outboard motor look at the oil and gas slick it puts out while running!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
^^^^my thoughts to the tee. I'm not a skipper, but man those old boat motors are just as bad.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
they pull the water skippers over for excessive speed or going across water?

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
they pull the water skippers over for excessive speed or going across water?[/b]
I don't believe either of those are an offense, but the one side of the river where that's at is a marshy area, i.e. wetland, i.e. 'no can ride there'. I'm guessing that's the reason. The other side is a road/boat launch.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I don't believe either of those are an offense, but the one side of the river where that's at is a marshy area, i.e. wetland, i.e. 'no can ride there'. I'm guessing that's the reason. The other side is a road/boat launch.[/b]
I see,
So they don't go over to the other side of the lake and catch people skipping water?

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
I see, So they don't go over to the other side of the lake and catch people skipping water?[/b]
:dunno: never got one of those tickets... maybe someone that has can speak up and say what the offense was?

·
Registered
760 Posts
:dunno: never got one of those tickets... maybe someone that has can speak up and say what the offense was?[/b]

I have heard (BUT I DON'T REMEMBER IF IT WAS IN MICHIGAN SO DON'T TAKE IT AS GOSPIL OR ANYTHING) of people that were stopped for skipping that recieved tickets for operating an unliscensed/unregistered watercraft. Again, I heard that somewhere along the way on a forum and don't remember if it was Michigan or not but that is what they said they were ticketed for.

I guess in a twisted, law enforcement type of way, that makes sense.

Where's Lawdog when you need him? :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts