Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got hurt on my new sled, and I wasn't even RIDING the damn thing!!!

With ZERO snow to ride on, I decided to do a little 150+ mile checkup on my new F1000 a couple days ago. On my list was installing new spark plugs (THAT was fun!) and thought I'd to a compression check while I was at it (that was even MORE fun!!). I elected NOT to get electric start, so you cats that were smart enough to go for it (ES), can move on to the next topic and refrain from any and all smartass comments please!

Did the mag cylinder – six good, hard, stout, two-handed pulls. Whew, only one more cylinder to go, thank God! Got to pull five, and half way through the pull, the FREAKING recoil rope knot came undone from the recoil handle. Needless to say, I went instantly flying backwards and fell as hard as I've EVER fallen on the cement, directly on my straight and fully extended left arm and wrist. I literally sat there in a daze thinking, "I can NOT believe this just FREAKING happened... I think I just snapped my FREAKING arm in two and/or broke my FREAKING wrist." I finally sat up after I determined I was a lucky SOB and likely did NOT break anything, but Jumpin' Christ, did that ever scare the living FREAKING shit right out of me. Thought my riding season (and church organist job for two churches) was done right then and there.

Funny thing is, I also had on my to-do list, to install a new (much more user friendly) recoil handle, and some new (far superior) recoil (mountain climbing) rope. With the help of my right-hand wrenching bud, the new handle, the new rope (and only one broken recoil bolt!) are now installed, but... LOL... now I'm afraid to pull on the FREAKING thing! Told my buds I'd pay 'em a buck a pull, but they thought that was on the low side!

Anyway, I DID get hurt – my left wrist and arm is still quite sore. I was VERY lucky I didn't snap my arm and/or wrist like I mentioned before, or worse. I'm asking... HIGHLY SUGGESTING, to anyone this might pertain to, to take a few seconds now and then to make DAMN sure that knot is holding like it's supposed to be, inside the recoil handle. If it comes lose, at the very least, it'll be a huge inconvenience, and at the worst, you could easily get hurt and/or be out for the riding season. – Roy

P.S. Had to add 12 ounces of coolant, and the PTO side of my main exhaust grafoil exhaust was shot, half spewing out the side, and bare wires showing badly, which will wear the main exhaust pipe out in no time at all. Pipe and y-pipe were stock – never been removed.

·
Registered
263 Posts
roy same here in canada the fukin knot came out and i when for the shits but mine only had 1 mile on it sounds like that is a problem ps what did u get for comp numbers any way pps mine has the pto cylinder all scuffed to fuk

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This also happend to "mbickF7" last weekend........................ Check those knots!!!!![/b]
On what sled???

Well, I'm glad to hear... I mean, sorry to hear it wasn't just me. Anybody else get hurt? AC, are you here??? This MIGHT be something you wanna' check into BEFORE someone gets SERIOUSLY hurt in some form or another... I mean hurt worse than I was. – Roy

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for the misfortune roy but that was one funny ass read. Good narration :smilielol: :div20:[/b]
LOL... well, glad you got a kick out of it, and I'm damn glad I can MOSTLY chuckle about it now... but at the time...

I WAS FREAKING PISSED BEYOND WORDS!!!!! :unfb: :furious2: :cussing: :censored: :banghead:

(So mad, I broke out into a lash of my FIRST emoticons!!!)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I've pulled the rope on my share (and a few other people's share) of 900's and 1000's and it would suck big time to lose the handle. Glad you are OK (sort of).

Terry

·
Registered
290 Posts
Glad you were not seriously hurt. I recommend putting some of the new synthetic winch line on your recoil. It makes for a great rope, and nearly bulletproof. Melt the knot with a lighter when you put it in the handle, it should'nt give you anymore trouble for a long time.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad you were not seriously hurt. I recommend putting some of the new synthetic winch line on your recoil. It makes for a great rope, and nearly bulletproof. Melt the knot with a lighter when you put it in the handle, it should'nt give you anymore trouble for a long time.[/b]
Since the rash of BROKEN RECOIL ROPES on the '03 F7's, I've been using a good quality mountain climbing rope. I think (not positive) it's Spectra 4, 4.5, or 5mm, not sure, as my bud picked it up for me after the FREAKING incident the other day. Of course any rope is only as good as its knot... LOL... that make sense?! – Roy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Since the rash of BROKEN RECOIL ROPES on the '03 F7's, I've been using a good quality mountain climbing rope. I think (not positive) it's Spectra 4, 4.5, or 5mm, not sure, as my bud picked it up for me after the FREAKING incident the other day. Of course any rope is only as good as its knot... LOL... that make sense?! – Roy[/b]
This kind of rope can be found in the market as Spectra, Plasma etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.