Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First take a couple minutes to read the following thread (notice it's currently two pages):

http://www.snowest.com/fusetalk/messagevie...p;enterthread=y

I just checked out the APV servo drum's gold colored retaining clip on my new F1000, and sure enough, that clip does indeed hit BOTH bare APV cables when the servo is in the WOT position. I can see where it hits/pinches both cables, and I can see where the "gold" anodizing has worn away on both sides of the clip. Surely just a matter of time before my cables would be fraying and/or broken too.

Upon closer look at that clip, and the way it's installed on my sled (on the outer side of the drum, so it's easily visible) I fail to see how it does a damn thing as far as helping keeping the APV cables in place. Look at it closely, and where it's located and where the cables are, both at idle and at WOT - it won't do a thing except to do what it already appears to be doing... that is, fraying and/or breaking the bare APV cables!!! I installed it facing the OTHER direction, and in that orientation, at least it has a chance to do what it's SUPPOSED to do, BUT, it will still rub the cables. My take at this point is, either it's installed backwards and/or it's a piss poor design. Don't know whether it's worth the potential trouble to even keep it on at this point. Comments, feedback, suggestions, Catmasters, Cat??? - Roy

·
Banned
2021 Gade XRS 900T
16,844 Posts
Is it the same setup on the M and XFire's???? I just took the cover off of my XFire and I see the clip, but I didn't pull the whole thing off and look at it, will pull it shortly and look.

PICS available at ArcticChat

OK, just took it completely off and manually rotated it and I'm seeing NO evidence that it is hitting the clip on my XFire.

Thoughts, opinions on the setup on the XFire??????

·
Registered
360 Posts
I visually checked the servo on my F8 while still in the sled and it looked like it is narrower that the one shown in the pic.
2 possible scenario's: 1) it's an F8
2) it was built on 10-06 ( possibly rectified by this time at the factory)

Any input on this?

[attachment=278135:F8_LOGO.JPG]

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Took the clip off my F1000's APV servo motor drum until or unless Cat comes up with something better. – Roy[/b]
When in Right, Roy, the clip does hold the cables in. But all you need to do is grind more taper on the end of the clip where the cables are rubbing. Should alleviate and rub happening.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When in Right, Roy, the clip does hold the cables in. But all you need to do is grind more taper on the end of the clip where the cables are rubbing. Should alleviate and rub happening.[/b]
On the F's (not the Cross or M) which way is it SUPPOSED to go on to function properly??? The way it came, if I'm looking at the drum from the PTO/left side of sled, I could easily see the gold clip on the drum, towards me. In that location on the drum on the F sleds, it is doing absolutely NOTHING except hitting, fraying, and apparantly even breaking cables as the servo drum rotates into its WOT open position. – Roy

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
I took a look at my cables tonight and one is just starting to fray so I took the clip right off.

Roy, if the clip is on properly the widest end of the clip, not the tappered end, should hold the ends of the cables to the drum. The clip should be visible from the left side like you said.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
VFR, that's IF the clip is installed properly. I think most if not all, might be installed improperly. Did you see the thread and excellent pix on Arctic Chat? – Roy

·
Registered
226 Posts
This issue is a simple fix. You don't have to take anything apart!!

I found the APV Servo drum retaining clip positioned incorrectly on my 07 F8 as well.

If you remove the left side panel (pto side) and look just above and to the right of the CPU module, you will see the apv servo and the gold retaining clip. I grasped the clip between my index finger and thumb and rotated the clip towards the front of my machine until I heard it 'Click' into place. The clip was then properly seated and could not rotate. The clip is now clear of the cables and seated securly.

You do not have to completly remove the clip! It's a really easy fix, it requires no tools and 2 minutes of your time.

Neil

·
Registered
495 Posts
Well, the lack of snow has kept me from using the sled yet. When sitting in the garage my clip does not rub on the cables. It sounds like the issue is that when @ WOT the servo rotates and makes the clip hit. Should we be manually rotating the servo to see if it will hit, or will that screw something up by moving things when the engine is not running?

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. i just checked mine on the f1000lxr. I rotated it and see the problem(and the mark on the grooves on one cable slot on the servo)....I rotated it forward with my fingers,just like cdnFD24 said ,and now it clears fine. there is a little dimple in the gold clip that will drop into a crevice when rotated ahead to proper position.Once it is there it is fine when rotated.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Funny Cat hasn't come out with a bulletin/fax to their dealers on this problem yet. You'd think that'd be a lot cheaper and less time consuming than having to replace a bunch of worn out or broken APV cables. – Roy

·
Registered
495 Posts
Okay, thanks. I would have thought that it would be okay to rotate it, but was worried because of a couple posts about people having a servo alignment error afterwards. Maybe that's just if they actually took the cables off, or something.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts