Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Lake Runner!
17,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would like to pull the head to take a look at the pistons/cylinder walls and got some questions. any specific order to take the bolts out? also is the gasket rubber or paper and will i need a new one after i pull the head off? i am guessing that there will be air in my coolant lines after i do this correct? if so how do i bleed that out. final question is, what should the bolts be torqued to when putting the head back on. i would like to start doing more of my own maintnance on my sled, sick of paying 60.00 labor! thanks for any help guys.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
There's not too much to it. But, you should drain the coolant down so you don't get any down in the engine. For gaskets, you will have rubber o-rings that you can reuse if they're in good shape. I would recommend not pulling the head but rather just take off the pipe, exhaust valves and spark plugs. You can get a pretty good look in there with a bend-a-light. It's smaller in diameter then a pencil and long enough to reach in there to get a good look.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
time to buy a service manual CD it will have ALL of your answers and more, they are like $3-4 on ebay, best $4 you will spend if your gonna do your own wrenching.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I would also start with looking threw the exhaust ports or exhaust valve ports since your gonna clean them anyway right!.

otherwise if you pull the head. which you will pull the pipe anyway. drain some coolant and then trun engine over so pistions are even with one another that way any spent coolant wont go down into the case or threw the transfer ports.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts