Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 290 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the new W.E. Velocity shock (RTS) on my 2018 Assault 800. I've owned this sled since new and it's my 2nd one. (had a 2017) Currently has 3200 miles on it from last season. I called Walker Evans and had them custom make this shock for me to test this up coming season. After experimenting the last 2 seasons with different settings, I've came to the conclusion that the rear skid could ride a bit better. After riding the new 850 Indy XC last Feb in Hoyt Lakes MN, I was so impressed with the ride of this shock package that I wanted to try it on the Assault to see if I could improve the ride of the rear skid. I still stand behind by comments about the Assault...one of best trail sleds I've ever owned. But the rear skid has always been stiff and a lot of this is may be due to it's un-coupled design. I'm hoping this new Velocity shock will improve things a bit back there. Per the advice of W.E. , I also installed a new pair of torsion springs...the lightest spring rate available from Poo. I also just completed all my pre-season maintenance on the Assault. Changed EVERY wheel bearing to NTN Blue's. Also changed the front A-arm bushings to ones from NSP. Factory ones where shot. Sent out my primary clutch to Indy Dan and had him completely re-build and balance it. Anyone who has 3000 or more miles on their 800 Axys should do this. The stock clutch is completely worn out at this mileage. Now I'm just waiting for my new 850 Indy XC to arrive and then I'll be heading to Pittsburg 12/15 for opening day to put on some miles!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I had dan do my clutch on my 17 with about 3k on it...best money I’ve ever spent???

Reactions: lennstang

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Also changed the front A-arm bushings to ones from NSP. Factory ones where shot. "

Which bushings, #3?
Yes, #3. His kit comes with 8 of them to do both the upper and lower A-arms. Tightens up the front better than stock bushings and they last much longer.

·
Registered
186 Posts
damn you got your shit together.. nice man

Sled looks awesome... I'm very interested in how you like that new shock.

Got a part #? might just pull the trigger now as I have time swap it

Reactions: lennstang

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

No part number...order directly from Walker Evans.

Call Jeff:
Jeff Dillon
Walker Evans Enterprises

Tell him I sent you.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

Indy rts is same dimension as assault rts so can add that to your assault or order one from walker and you get the hi/lo adjusters in it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
No part number...order directly from Walker Evans.

Call Jeff:
Jeff Dillon
Walker Evans Enterprises

Tell him I sent you.
100% I will.

When do you think you'll get a ride in to test them out?

thanks for sharing this info....:bc: I greatly appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haven't rode the Assault yet with the new RTS. Hopefully this coming weekend. :)

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well guys...just rode the Assault today for a brief 10 mile loop on some rough trails. Because it was starting to rain this morning in Pittsburg and the temps were in the low 40's, I decided to try my new set up in my 2018 Assault 800. Trails were on the rough side due to no grooming in warm temps, perfect for testing.
WOW, what a difference!
I wasn't expecting this...I'm impressed. The WE Velocity shock absolutely rocks! Combined with the softest torsion springs available, this shock fixed the harshness of the un-coupled skid. And it didn't bottom...even with the clickers set on position 3.
I spent 160 miles yesterday on my new Indy 850 XC. The Indy's rear skid is silky smooth. I rode with my friend Jeff who was a '17 Assault 800. We both agreed: the Indy rides way better. So today just coming off both yesterday, I had a baseline to compare to.
I'm going to do some riding this upcoming week. But my ass-o-meter is really liking this shock upgrade. I wouldn't hesitate doing this if your looking for a big improvement!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Well guys...just rode the Assault today for a brief 10 mile loop on some rough trails. Because it was starting to rain this morning in Pittsburg and the temps were in the low 40's, I decided to try my new set up in my 2018 Assault 800. Trails were on the rough side due to no grooming in warm temps, perfect for testing.
WOW, what a difference!
I wasn't expecting this...I'm impressed. The WE Velocity shock absolutely rocks! Combined with the softest torsion springs available, this shock fixed the harshness of the un-coupled skid. And it didn't bottom...even with the clickers set on position 3.
I spent 160 miles yesterday on my new Indy 850 XC. The Indy's rear skid is silky smooth. I rode with my friend Jeff who was a '17 Assault 800. We both agreed: the Indy rides way better. So today just coming off both yesterday, I had a baseline to compare to.
I'm going to do some riding this upcoming week. But my ass-o-meter is really liking this shock upgrade. I wouldn't hesitate doing this if your looking for a big improvement!
Can’t wait to try both my Indy and my assault (19s) with that shock. I have springs for assault but haven’t swapped them yet. I also have an 18 assault that I put stock Indy shock in after swapping stock clicker for a hi/lo clicker. Going to try one with springs and one without. Guys just don’t believe how much of an improvement these things are. Thanks for feed back and I will do same if I ever get to ride!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Indy rts is same dimension as assault rts so can add that to your assault or order one from walker and you get the hi/lo adjusters in it.
So I can order rear shock for indy xc and it will fit bolt-on on my SBA 850? Well if that's the case I'm going to my dealer on Friday and get price on shock and soft springs
I can't order from W. E when I live in Sweden and the taxes and shipping cost is to expensive.

1 - 20 of 290 Posts