Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1/13/2021

Well as everyone knows conditions are not good in the state of Mn, Walker is no different. We headed down to Brainard today for supply’s before the weather system hits, there’s actually more snow down towards Brainard (41*) but it certainly isn’t any better riding conditions.
So I thought I’d just start the thread for the year, I haven’t taken a ride yet but maybe in a day or so I can get out for a short burp and have an trail update for in the woods! Leech Lake seems to have plenty of traffic, fishermen mostly, it appears to be smaller cars and small pickups Out on the ice.

This is a picture of the trail that heads north towards Cass Lake, approximately 15 miles.

This was a year ago before I headed over to the north shore for a ride, hard to believe! This is the drive way heading out of my mothers back yard.

Reactions: Suisse Sledder

·
Registered
706 Posts
jdw1- Welcome to 2021!! We’ve declined the offers to go to ours friend’s place on Benedict due to the Covid-19 crap. Just don’t feel comfortable in a house with lots of people. The crew is heading up next week. Damn. Maybe later. Hope the season gets better with the new snow this week, especially Walker!!
Have fun and hopefully we’ll be able to add something to the conversation in the future. Best to your Mom!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Ski Doo 600
706 Posts
I have been hoping to get up to the Itasca area to ride. I ride a lot in the Brainerd to Hackensack area. Pretty grim everywhere right now. Just watched the weather on channel 9 and she said it only looks like 1-3 inches of wet sloppy stuff. She said the snow might be preceded by rain/freezing rain. Not looking good. Hope she is wrong at least up north. Haven't had the sled out yet. Here some pictures from a ride in the Itasca area last January. What a difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Well hell, I gotta add at least one from last season from just west of Itasca. Let’s get some fresh ones!!

I know that spot well! I have some drone footage of rally cars in the summer drifting that big "s" corner through the lake. My daughter gets a kick out of it, as she remembers it from sledding too!

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jdw1- Welcome to 2021!! We’ve declined the offers to go to ours friend’s place on Benedict due to the Covid-19 crap. Just don’t feel comfortable in a house with lots of people. The crew is heading up next week. Damn. Maybe later. Hope the season gets better with the new snow this week, especially Walker!!
Have fun and hopefully we’ll be able to add something to the conversation in the future. Best to your Mom!!

Thanks Bob,
Remember you can always stay at the Lakeview Motel in Walker! I’ve never been in there but I’m sure you can look at reviews like anywhere else!

So it’s snowing today, not sure how much we’ll get, report some time tomorrow!

Keep dancing!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Thanks Bob,
Remember you can always stay at the Lakeview Motel in Walker! I’ve never been in there but I’m sure you can look at reviews like anywhere else!

So it’s snowing today, not sure how much we’ll get, report some time tomorrow!

Keep dancing!
Stayed there probably 25 yrs ago, I’m sure it’s changed!
We stayed at The Chase a year ago much to the chagrin of our friends there. Great place!! We’ll see what the near future brings and when we feel comfortable. Sleddin’ is a great way to social distance.
Snow baby snow!!

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
1/16/21
Well finally got out for a ride today, had an unexpected visit to the doctor yesterday afternoon for my mother so I couldn’t report any trail updates!
We received about 3” of wet heavy snow on Thursday along with a very lite freezing mist And then last night (Friday) we had about an 1” of snow and then another lite freezing mist, everything had a lite glaze on it this morning! I headed west towards Itasca State Park the forest trails were somewhat rough but the forest roads were actually pretty nice going. Had lunch at Lobos, refueled and kept heading west ended up at Pinehurst with a mixed bag of good and bad trails. 6” of snow and it would be much better. Ended up with 178 miles.
The trails are rideable but not all the trails are enjoyable!
Keep on Dancin!

·
Registered
706 Posts
You got miles on!!!!! Have the clubs attempted to groom?

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You got miles on!!!!! Have the clubs attempted to groom?

It doesn’t appear that they have, it looked like Itasca Park was groomed but it probably should not have been, in the park, It looked like they groomed before the warm weather and the snow cover after the warm weather was almost gone until the snow from Thursday.
We definitely need some more snow!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Check out my video in the "no whiners" thread. We have just shy of 200 miles in the Paul Bunyan state forest this weekend. Nevis Trailblazers were out working the trails yesterday. We passed a couple groomers. GAME ON!!

·
Registered
2014 Ski Doo 600
706 Posts
Rode in that area last year in January. Nice area. From what Biff posted that is one of the few areas with decent trails. With that area being one of the few with snow it will probably get real busy on the weekend and get beat down fast. Weekday would probably be best.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Keep in mind as well, the line of good snow drops off to the West. Forest Riders did not have the same coverage. Someone wanted to argue with me on Facebook, and I told them, Trailblazers are grooming, and Forest riders are only grooming the park. So I would recommend staying East. But from what I am seeing, we could have ridden anything north and East of Nevis all the way up to boundary waters and it would be good. We will see what this sun today kills, and if we get more snow.

Good luck everyone!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts