Hardcore Sledder banner

Wahpeton

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  SIOUX YEA YEA 
#1 ·
I'm just looking around right now to try and find a good ride this Saturday and according to all the forecast I've seen and John Dee's snow graphic, it looks like southwestern north dakota is gonna get some decent snow. Wahpeton is about a 5 hour drive for me so does anyone have any advice on whether or not I should ride there. If not are there any good places without 2 or 3 hours of there.
Thanks in advance

#2 ·
I was in Wahpeton last weekend for Christmas. They have absolutely no snow at all. They would need a serious dumping before there is enough snow to ride on, much less groom the trails. With no base set up, the groomers may not even run until the snow gets set up. The trails in that area are all in the ditches, but when groomed you can really fly and put on lots of miles in a short time. Good luck! If they do get dumped on, I'll PM you and maybe we could even hook up to ride together.

#3 ·
all I ride is ditches around here and I think they're way more fun when they aren't groomed, but I was just checking John Dees forcast and it looks like a dusting for Wahpeton, so now it looks like Rapid City SD unless anyone can tell me different about the forcast, so if anyone knows anything about trails around there, your help would be appreciated

#4 ·
all I ride is ditches around here and I think they're way more fun when they aren't groomed, but I was just checking John Dees forcast and it looks like a dusting for Wahpeton, so now it looks like Rapid City SD unless anyone can tell me different about the forcast, so if anyone knows anything about trails around there, your help would be appreciated[/b]
Try here. http://www.sdgfp.info/parks/Recreation/Sno...ng/trailcon.htm

It says trails are closed, but if it snows, they should open. Black Hills riding will require different sled setup. If you set up for around 5000 feet elevation, that should be good.

Here in Bismarck, the weather guy says 1-2 inches tonight and tomorrow and maybe 3 more on Saturday. Highs near 30, so it's bound to be heavy wet snow. Fingers crossed. :banana:

#5 ·
I'm just looking around right now to try and find a good ride this Saturday and according to all the forecast I've seen and John Dee's snow graphic, it looks like southwestern north dakota is gonna get some decent snow. Wahpeton is about a 5 hour drive for me so does anyone have any advice on whether or not I should ride there. If not are there any good places without 2 or 3 hours of there.
Thanks in advance[/b]
I live near Wahpeton ND and it is in the south eastern part of the state not the south western. They have no snow as of yesterday, it's been too warm. If I were you I would check west of Sioux Falls SD, much closer to you, I believe they are getting snow now, good luck....

#11 ·
its all fresh, we had no snow before this...right now you can ride cross country(about 10-12in of snow everywhere), the ditches with tall grass are kind of crappy. if it blows the ditches will drift in but then the fields will be bare. ill post again tomorrow and see how much we get tonight and how the wind is

#14 ·
i think it would maybe be hard to find a permit, this is one of the first years ND requires a permit. if your from out of state and are just gonna ride in the ditches i would say you could get by without one[/b]
Riding ditches requires a permit.

3 ways to get a permit...by phone, pick one up at a State Park or online...with online ordering being the easiest/fastest. Your online order reciept will serve as proof of your purchase for 14 days or until you receive your permit.

Order Online

Snowmobiles registered outside of North Dakota are required to purchase & display an Out-of-State Permit to operate on public right of ways, lands, and trail systems. The permit costs $15.00 per year and needs to be displayed next to the registration sticker on both sides of the vehicle in an obvious place.

Individuals interested in purchasing a permit can call the North Dakota Parks and Recreation Department at 701-328-5357 and place a phone order. Please have a credit card and the following information available before calling:

Drivers license number
Snowmobile VIN number(s)
Make
Model
Color
Engine size.
You will also need your current snowmobile registration number, the year it expires, and the state which issued it.
Out-of-State Permits are also available at state park offices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.