Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting a 129" viper , I was woundering if anyone has made the switch from vector to viper and could give me there thoughts . I love the motor in the vector but I would love to change the sitting posistion and the feel of the weight of the machine.
How does the viper compair over all ?

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Depending on your style of riding makes a difference between the 2 sleds. The Vector with EPS is effortless to ride all day and has great power. The Viper has a more aggressive or stiff suspension that really works well in the rough stuff. As far as top end their pretty close.

·
Super Advanced Member
2,227 Posts
The Viper is using the ProCross chassis with Yamaha tweaks, its a great machine and the triple 1049cc has more torque. It's a 4stroke but doesn't feel heavy.
The Vector is the older school chassis, has great topend power with the 4 cylinder but overall is mostly a trail machine.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Thinking of getting a 129" viper , I was woundering if anyone has made the switch from vector to viper and could give me there thoughts . I love the motor in the vector but I would love to change the sitting posistion and the feel of the weight of the machine.
How does the viper compair over all ?
I have a couple of Vectors and ride with guys on Vipers. I'm short 5ft-9" and I have raised the seat and upgraded the shocks on my Vectors to all HyGear. In anything but ditch lines or bombed out trails the ride is close. When setup properly the Viper will out handle the Vector in most cases and the seating position is better . Top end doesn't seem to be close I have smoked them on the lake every time but they are slightly quicker to 50 then me. I think the Viper is a nice but worry about the Electronics on the sled other wise I would have bought one. With the winters we have had I'll stick to the Vectors for a while. They are very dependable and get better gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
The Viper is using the ProCross chassis with Yamaha tweaks, its a great machine and the triple 1049cc has more torque. It's a 4stroke but doesn't feel heavy.
The Vector is the older school chassis, has great topend power with the 4 cylinder but overall is mostly a trail machine.
The vector used the Yamaha Triple as well.

Since the Vector has been around for so many years, it has evolved to be nearly identical to the Nytro motor. Which all know is the same motor used in the Viper minus the Mitsubishi ECU.

Engine performance should be near identical. Speed is countered in the Vector, as it's a heavier sled.

The 4 cylinder 4-stroke was only used in the Apex.

To the OP's question though: Moving from the DeltaBox Chassis to the ProCross is going to do exactly what you were asking to do. We own both, and there are times when a person wants to get more aggressive, sit higher etc and the ProCross does that. I personally have my Apex setup to satisfy that need, but maintain my lust for power. But if you are happy with the power of your vector, but want the ergos, Viper is a great choice.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Thanks for correcting me on that. All these years I thought the Vector and Apex were very similar and ran the same engine! :wacko:
I wanted to correct it without being a dick for sure. They have been nearly identical all the years produced.

The biggest difference has been the extra hole. What was funny was the lack of Fuel injection until 2010 on the Vector. Then the addition of power steering made both better.

But that 1049 triple really is a sweetheart of an engine. And it's funny to hear a Nytro, Vector and Viper fire up next to each other, as they all sound similar (for obvious reasons)

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
I just got back from a 677 mile trip splitting my time between a 2012 Vector LTX with EPS and a 2017 Sidewinder LTX SE. Here are my thoughts:

Ergos:

The Cat chassis has a better seating position, but I liked the seat better on the Vector. The seat on the SW is very hard. The Vector is more plush.

Suspension:

The Vector rode softer over small bumps, the SW was better in the big bumps. The rougher the trail, the more it favors the cat chassis.

Handling:

The SW cornered flatter, but the Vector was easier to steer with EPS.

Power:

The SW is obviously way more powerful, but the Vector engine is a hoot to ride.

Before this weekend, I never would have considered a Viper. Now I'm thinking I would really enjoy one. I thought the SW had too much power for tight, twisty trails. Other than that, I liked it. I would love to test drive and RTX version with the QS3 shocks.

I'd have to try a 1200 Ski-Doo as well for comparison sake before spending my money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts