Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vilas County State Funded Trail system scheduled to open Friday the 20th at 8am. Trails should be primo!!!

·
Premium Member
20 850 Assault
2,524 Posts
I'm ready! Gonna be a great season. Conditions are fantastic!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'll be there on the 20th!

Just hope all the water problems are frozen by then. I'm guessing there will be some trail closures due to water.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Anyone up for a HCS Vilas county ride tomorrow? Looking for a group to ride with tomorrow for the opening day of trails. I can easily get to the County Line station on 70 west, and my be able to trailer to another meeting point if needed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone up for a HCS Vilas county ride tomorrow? Looking for a group to ride with tomorrow for the opening day of trails. I can easily get to the County Line station on 70 west, and my be able to trailer to another meeting point if needed.
Ill be stuck at work :wall: otherwise I'd be going! Might be doing a day trip Sunday, post some pics!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Update everyone, the trails were primo today. I left at 8am and they were perfect, started to soften up throughout the day but no snow mass was lost. Saw the groomer on 10w while headed east toward squirrel lake. Some idiot also managed to instantly destroy the freshly groomed trail with a paddle track, so thats cool. None of the lakes are open and squirrel lake rd is plowed right to the pavement which sucks.

buy in large, the trails are in great early season condition especially considering the lack of base. Give the trails a light thaw and freeze cycle with another 3-5in of snow and they will be perfect!

·
Registered
220 Posts
12/31 update. I rode from minocqua to Eagle River and once outside of Minocqua area, the trails were garbage. Boboen did an OK job with the trails but everything else was 2-3 ft whoops. I took 10E all the way to eagle river and encountered snocross level moguls, about a mile of ~6in slush, and (hate to throw any reasonable riders under the bus) chicagolanders...I almost got hit on about 4 separate occasions. On the way back from Eagle River I took 8W to boulder junction and then 51S to 10W. 8W was trashed, 51S was trashed, 10W leading into Minocqua felt like a cloud compared to everything else.

Hopefully the trails will have been maintained overnight, which I feel is somewhat unlikely due to New Years.

All I can say is that my body is feeling it, I really need to find a rider forward machine after riding in those conditions. In total I covered just shy of 200mi, lost a snow flap, and was nearly hit a handful of times.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@braaap24_7 Thanks for the update. We have a family cabin in Manitowish so I like to keep tabs on the area. Helps alot! Below is a report from MW SnoSkeeters from 12/31.

"Due to the rain, and safety reasons, we have temporarily closed Trail 6 from its Junction with Trail 2, North to 30 Point Tap. Some cold weather and we should have it reopened soon.

We groomed Trails 2 and 8 this morning. Our volunteers have been busting ass trying to keep up with the snow and rain we had. Chris S. was out at 2 A.M. this morning grooming. With the exception of Trail 6, our trails are in fair to good condition. Stay off of the lakes, the locals aren't even going on them.

Remember to ride right, use your hand signals, stay on marked trails and be safe. BE A GOOD HUMAN, AND GIVE THE DEER TIME TO GET OFF OF THE TRAIL, THEY ARE VERY PHYSICALLY STRESSED THIS TIME OF YEAR.

Thank you for your support and have a safe New Years Eve,

Barry Hopkins"

·
Registered
220 Posts
just a heads up to everyone, The Minocqua Forest Riders have a trail work day scheduled tomorrow. More info can be found on their facebook page

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Vilas County Ride Report & Yard Sale Disclosure

Needed to put on some trail miles as I haven't been out riding this season aside from playing at our friends farm.

Rolled into Boulder Junction just before lunch, unloaded, geared up and headed west towards Manitowish Waters on #2 which was about 62% washboard. Planned to head up #6 to Presque Isle which was closed (my bad for not checking before I left). Decided to ride towards Mercer on #8, powerline trails weren't bad but as it crisscrossed hwy 51 it was shit. Turned around and head back towards MW. Stopped by the power station for a break and to eat. Found I hadn't zipped my tunnel bag when I left BJ, shit! Backtracked towards BJ, found my tool bag and sandwich right away near MW. Did not find my ball cap, water bottle and never used tow straps. :wall: Stopped by the rig, ate, was ready to say 'f'it' and head home but sucked it up, fueled up and decided to get my 100 miles on for the day. Considered taking the sled with better shocks off the trailer but was too lazy to drive to the gas station in BJ. Should have. Headed back out on interstate #8 eastbound, smooth and fast, ran north on #6/7 to #6 which was good and then back down #15 to BJ which was washboard most the way to BJ where I met the groomer heading north on #15 just on the outskirts of town. Yay! :clap: I do enjoy riding in this area and get up 2-3 times a season but the nonstop stutters today made me wish our local less used/abused trails were open. The warm up, freeze, and traffic have been hard on some sections up there and they are going to need some snow and grooming to smooth things out.

Pretty fair amount of folks out riding today, saw quite a few families (cool) and only ran into one group that didn't realize which side of the trails is theirs. :rolleyes: Fair mix of new and older iron and a couple ass dragger sleds out there keeping it real and making me appreciate a sled that has suspension.

Lastly, if you ever want to shake up a martini while driving the stretch of interstate 39/51 from hwy 8 to highway S by Tomahawk will do it. Jesus H Christo, I forgot how bad that section of hwy was.

Glad I went up, but hope our local stuff opens soon.

:)

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Lastly, if you ever want to shake up a martini while driving the stretch of interstate 39/51 from hwy 8 to highway S by Tomahawk will do it. Jesus H Christo, I forgot how bad that section of hwy was.

Glad I went up, but hope our local stuff opens soon.

:)
I still remember the big billboard about "pardon our scottholes" right on that stretch, good thing the new governor has all the roads taken care of........

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
I still remember the big billboard about "pardon our scottholes" right on that stretch, good thing the new governor has all the roads taken care of........
no need to drag either useless liar into the discussion as it's the county hwy dept. who salted the ever loving shit out of it which is what causes those enormous heaves which become worse in winter. potholes is one thing easily fixed, but that whole section of road is awful. you'd think since the interstate highway system was developed in 1956 they would have figured out by now how to build a concrete roadway and treat it properly for ice prevention. not in Wisconsin, nope.

Sadly, this country is addicted to road salt and it's not going to go away.
https://www.vox.com/2015/1/13/7531833/road-salt-environment-alternatives

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Funny you mention this, I swear every time I hit this stretch of pavement. Feel like I need to re-align the truck after every trip! :bc:

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
I drive that section of road everyday, and the funny part is northbound is fine.
yup, NB lanes are fine. it made me wish I got off the interslab at 8 and drove through Tomahawk. is there a lot of heavy truck traffic coming off 8 and heading south? can't imagine bouncing over that washboard every day. :hyper:

·
Super Moderator
36,525 Posts
no need to drag either useless liar into the discussion as it's the county hwy dept. who salted the ever loving shit out of it which is what causes those enormous heaves which become worse in winter. potholes is one thing easily fixed, but that whole section of road is awful. you'd think since the interstate highway system was developed in 1956 they would have figured out by now how to build a concrete roadway and treat it properly for ice prevention. not in Wisconsin, nope.

Sadly, this country is addicted to road salt and it's not going to go away.
https://www.vox.com/2015/1/13/7531833/road-salt-environment-alternatives

I hate salted roads too but how could Wisconsin "treat it properly for ice prevention"? What methods would be used?:dunno:

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
I hate salted roads too but how could Wisconsin "treat it properly for ice prevention"? What methods would be used?:dunno:
heated roads :)

from the other article: He estimates the US now spends $2.3 billion each year to remove snow and ice from highways. It then costs another $5 billion to pay for the resulting damage caused by salt. And that's not even counting the cost of salting cities or rural roads.

lower the speed limits in winter, mandate *winter* tires, plow the roads and replace blades more frequently. how did we survive all those years of winter driving in the past without having ABS, AWD, traction control, stability control, etc. before they started salting the hell out of the roads? vehicles are far safer today than 20 years ago and the road crews just keep making slush which turns to ice. do we really need to go 70+ while using our phones on the interstate in January? salt does a lot of damage to the roads, our vehicles and our water. when I was a kid, I don't recall them using very much salt at all, if ever. as stated, I don't see the de-icing issue going away.

https://www.wheels.ca/news/its-official-winter-tires-really-do-cut-collisions/

1 - 20 of 35 Posts