Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 800 polaris, that I thought was a dog to pull over in -10f weather, but its a beast to even crank once in -30f weather, it has been below 20 for most of the week, and even after about 20 pulls the plugs are still dry with the choke on full, and when it finally starts it seems to run out of gas after a few minutes and shuts off, I have tried blowing in the tank to get fuel going but to no avail. Once it is started for a minute or so it idles fine. Sure am getting a good workout, but it takes alot of energy to pull over, I have never had trouble starting it last winter, this winter I have lower compression heads and vforce reeds, the only things that I could think of that could affect this. (they compliment the pipes) Any solutions? I have had to pour in a cup of gas in a jug to start it, but I dont want that to become a ritual, because of what could happen...although after pulling on it so much on cold mornings, it would probably make myself feel better to let it burn to the ground... :flamethrowingsmiley: ...what could I do to help this, or is putting on a primer and giving it a couple pumps the easiest solution?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I think you have a fuel supply problem somewhere...it takes me about 4 or 5 pulls even when it is -35 Celcius not including the wind chill.... You may have a frozen fuel pump, clogged carbs due to having a trace of water in your system somewhere restricting fuel flow...... Sounds like it's not getting any gas at all..... Let it thaw for a day or 2, then clean out the whole system, the fuel tank, fuel pump, and carburetors.....should fix your problem, sounds like lotsa work, but less work than pulling 30-40 times....let me know how you did, after cleaning it out.....I've got a 2003 Edge X 800 also..... I used to have a primer on my old XC 700, I used it once and blew my piston.....all it does is add Gas......so no oil in with the mixture. So putting a Primer is a bad idea.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Sounds to me like your enrichment circuit is plugged,,and possibly the pilots as well.
Doesnt take much .
Have the carbs cleaned thoroughly,pull the enrichment circuit plugs out (chokes) make sure they are clean as well as the line that they are blocking.
Be sure to clean the mains and the pilots (if you think the mains have a small bore check out the pilots,,take just a bit of varnish to plug them)
Take the fuel valve completely out, make sure it functions freely,,,if your not sure,then buy new ones,,same goes with the jets.

Hmm you say it idles fine after it gets warmed up,,,yep,,enrichment circuit.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, I'll get it into a warmed shop and get the carbs off, sure is hard to get motivated to dig into it when its -20f

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I have a 800 polaris, that I thought was a dog to pull over in -10f weather, but its a beast to even crank once in -30f weather, it has been below 20 for most of the week, and even after about 20 pulls the plugs are still dry with the choke on full, and when it finally starts it seems to run out of gas after a few minutes and shuts off, I have tried blowing in the tank to get fuel going but to no avail. Once it is started for a minute or so it idles fine. Sure am getting a good workout, but it takes alot of energy to pull over, I have never had trouble starting it last winter, this winter I have lower compression heads and vforce reeds, the only things that I could think of that could affect this. (they compliment the pipes) Any solutions? I have had to pour in a cup of gas in a jug to start it, but I dont want that to become a ritual, because of what could happen...although after pulling on it so much on cold mornings, it would probably make myself feel better to let it burn to the ground... :flamethrowingsmiley: ...what could I do to help this, or is putting on a primer and giving it a couple pumps the easiest solution?[/b]
Possably, Ice crystals in fuel system, keep up on dry gas at every fill , Get in warm area and clean out carbs and pump/s. Had same issue with my '95 Storm and was crystals in fuel pumps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts