Hardcore Sledder banner

81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
First, I don't think you should be throwing out speculation, it seems as though you might be trying to drum up work for yourself. Second, if these bearing and pto end failures continue, then Polaris is only screwing themselves and people will look elsewhere.

I had an '03 800 that I put 6,000 miles on, never gave me a problem. Until these new 800 motors start getting some miles on them, you're just making assumptions, we'll just have to wait and see.[/b]
First - I'm not throwing out speculation, The New Polaris 800 dragon motor is a ( almost carbon copy ) of the ski-doo
800 twin. The ski-doo 800 bottom-end is rebuildable to a point ( at least the crank is ) the case is a throw away.

The Polaris 800 dragon crank and case both are throw aways ( neither one is rebuildable )

Second - Polaris is control by the stock market, Not PTO bearings. ( they might be one in the same )

Third - will have to wait and see................ Yep, you just watch.

forth - your 2003 800 was a better motor then the new one. ( if the quality control is the same on both motors ) the old Big Block is better for long gevity.

Dan

·
Registered
160 Posts
i just bought an 03 VES 800 with around 1400 miles on it. after reading all this im kinda nervis to get out and ride. should i ride it throgh the winter and get rid of it during the summer or what should i do?

·
Registered
216 Posts
i just bought an 03 VES 800 with around 1400 miles on it. after reading all this im kinda nervis to get out and ride. should i ride it throgh the winter and get rid of it during the summer or what should i do?[/b]
Ride it like you stole it... :rockernana:

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
Pull the primary clutch off, get a micrometer and set it right where the crankshaft tapers off. You will see a little "ridge" there. Then pull the starter rope(with the kill switch down, so the motor doesn't start). The micrometer will give you a reading of the runout.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Dan is an honest guy and a wealth of knowledge, his passion shows every time he posts. This is not to drum up business, he loves the sport and what he does. Thanks for the posts.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hello Everyone!!! :D A customer called me Monday and asked me if I had ever been over at Hardcoresledder........... I said no I had not, he mentioned I should check it out. I don't know his name on here but over at Snowest he is PolarisBob

So here I am, Very nice forum.

I have not had time to surf around much and check things out but so far it looks great LOTS of People here!!! Great to see.

I have always leaned towards the mountain side of things, Now I am just to old and fat to keep up out there with all the young bucks I.E. better riders!!!! :cry:[/b]
maybe you can help me makeup my mind on a sledd purchase i have a chance to buy a 2006 700 classic low miles and the price is very good my question is how reliable are these 700 cfi motors i know the 900 had its issues but are these 700,s having the same issue bad gas mileage vibration, crank failures, piston problems you being the engine guy what do you think??

·
Registered
146 Posts
Since the link of the original '07 post re: 800 problems is no longer available, I wasn't able to read it.
I have an '05 800 XC SP which went south at the end of last season. The pins on the PTO end of the crank wore and I am getting a rebuilt crank since I was told mine is not rebuildable. I am also getting a bearing upgrade. Guess I should be questioning which bearings after reading Indydan's comments. My question is, what else should I be doing to avoid future problems as best I can? I have a brand new Polaris primary clutch going on also. The original setup lasted 5760 miles and never saw a mountain. It is completely stock. This is my second 800, but first VES. Like the power of my last 800 (2001), but my spine likes the M10 upgrade! Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
Make sure they check the case. Many of them are not correct(either too loose or too tight). If a good crank is put on a bad case the motor won't last long. Some shops have the equipment to line bore the cases, some don't.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My 01 xc with an 02 VES 800 broke the crank over the weekend. Indy Dan will be getting a call. 4000miles on the sled, no idea how many are on the engine.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hi IndyDan
Thanks for the 800 crank and primary work 3 seasons and 8000 miles ago, it's been ridden HARD by a lard-ass, warmed up well, stored right, zero problems.
Care to elaborate on why the belt to sheave clearance plays such a big role? Is it simply the weights hit too hard because they're out of position and impact load the PTO end too much? Is this an issue with ALL engines or just this particular one? Thanks for your insight, many of us appreciate it more than you know.

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
Excessive belt to sheave clearance puts a hammering effect on the PTO end. At least this is how I remember Indy Dan explaining it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Everyone!!! :D A customer called me Monday and asked me if I had ever been over at Hardcoresledder........... I said no I had not, he mentioned I should check it out. I don't know his name on here but over at Snowest he is PolarisBob

So here I am, Very nice forum.

I have not had time to surf around much and check things out but so far it looks great LOTS of People here!!! Great to see.

I have always leaned towards the mountain side of things, Now I am just to old and fat to keep up out there with all the young bucks I.E. better riders!!!! :cry:[/b]
:welcome: Indydan, I'am old and fat but still love the mountains

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello indydan

I have a 2000 XC 700 and just took the bottom end out this weekend, it has 11,000 miles on it and it has never been touched. (well untill now)

I was calling around pricing out parts, I have 3 options from a local Polaris dealer.

1. standard crank replacement
2. heavy duty bearings on PTO side only
3. heavy duty NTN bearings on every journal

which do you suggest? or is there a better option?

I will be able to save my cases as they are not that bad. or at least thats what the dealer said. there is about a 1/32" grove cut into the top and bottom (but not on the sides) of each case. Can they be saved?

I have lots of questions so here it goes

What is involved in line boring a bottom end?

What is a "torque plate"?

What type of micrometer whould I use to check to end play? what brand do you recomend?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Well i just spent an hour readding through all these posts, and i think i have a good one for you all, I purchased a canadian proxr 800 new in 04 snowchecked, and second ride 750 km in the absolute middle of know where I blew a belt, or i thought I did. poped the hood to find the primary sitting in the belly pan and the motor still runnin the crank broke just inside the seal . Love the sled but that was just the start to my problems with this lovely looking sled

·
Registered
379 Posts
The New Polaris 800 dragon motor is a ( almost carbon copy ) of the Ski-Doo 800 twin.

The Ski-Doo 800 bottom-end is rebuildable to a point ( at least the crank is ) the case is a throw away.

The Polaris 800 dragon crank and case both are throw aways ( neither one is rebuildable ).

// Dan[/b]
Since I'm a BRP guy I can sure guarantee that the crank bearings on the ROTAX 800 Twin ( 2001 ---> )
are JUNK !!

I have seen countless crank failed due to lack of lubrication due to the plastic ( overheat and melts/cracks ) ball holder in the sealed bearings
going bad and then the crank running out of tolerance and BAMMMMMM she goes !!!!

81 - 100 of 119 Posts