Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vast News Page 8 Bryant Watson

“Last winter was one that was very fickle! Parts of the State ended the season with near record snowfalls, But that record snow did not translate into record TMA sales. To the contrary we had the lowest TMA sales in eight years!”

Did I miss something?

Last year was a Horrible snow year!!! People didn’t buy TMA’s because the season started late and there was NO snow. What is he talking about Record snow?

No snow = no TMA purchases it’s that simple.

Was there a location in Vermont that had records? Southern Vermont did not!!

G

·
yeah, even up north I don't remember any record snow falls. it started late and actually stayed pretty late but riding was pretty marginal most of the year. Not at all like the year before. 2003-2004 season we had a lot of snow pretty much all year. consistantly went to bed at night and woke up with 1' plus on top of the sleds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
after a late start the season finished very strong. We were riding from home down to south of Barre in early to mid march and conditions were the best in years. Most people had given up by then.

·
Registered
12,218 Posts
Originally posted by FreezOrBurn@Sep 16 2005, 09:20 AM
Parts of the State ended the season with near record snowfalls
it could be the "parts of the state". like around here, detroit had a huge snowfall total - way more than avg, but the UP - not so much...

·
Registered
973 Posts
Originally posted by rob@Sep 16 2005, 10:20 AM
after a late start the season finished very strong. We were riding from home down to south of Barre in early to mid march and conditions were the best in years. Most people had given up by then.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=877720
[/quote]

We also had great riding here in the Waitsfield area once the snow finally started to fly in late January. February and especially March were epic. Groton State Park also had excellent conditions for most of the season.

Everyone who rides in Vermont may want to consider supporting VAST as much as they can given the downturn in TMA purchases last year. Keep in mind that VAST is an independent organization from the state of Vermont and is funded almost entirely from the sale of these TMA's. It would be a shame if we lost our incredible trail system because of a lack of TMA sales.

I made a personal commitment to volunteer as much time as possible to our local club this fall in order to help out with trail projects, bridge improvements, etc. It is a great way to get in shape for the coming season and to make the riding better for everyone.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The winter finished strong with a lot of great riding to be had. I don’t think the reason for lower TMAs was snow alone but a combination of late start, higher TMA and gas prices. This year will be even lower TMA sales. Mark my words.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear ya TONYVT, I buy several TMA's every year and I try and join more than one club.

Good job helping out on the trails :div20:.

I bring a folding hand saw and do a little maitaining sometimes but thank god there are people like you donating all this time to it! The trails are awsome by me and it's from the volunteers! :banana:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
It always seems like the year when the snow comes late, the TMA's are down. I don't have any facts to back that up, it just seems that way. Put a "rideable" amount on the ground previous to December 19th this year, and see what the #'s look like. Like I said, just theory though.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Barre is my Faviote spot to ride in Vt. I hate Island pond and would never go back there again its a trap and the police up there suck monky -ick. they block the tracks with the train 2 guys i went with last year got a ticket for asking the trooper why the train was blocking the trail!!!!!!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Originally posted by FreezOrBurn@Sep 16 2005, 12:09 PM
I hear ya TONYVT,  I buy several TMA's every year and I try and join more than one club. 

Good job helping out on the trails  :div20:.  

I bring a folding hand saw and do a little maitaining sometimes but thank god there are people like you donating all this time to it!  The trails are awsome by me and it's from the volunteers!   :banana:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=877839
[/quote]

FreezorBurn,

Thanks for your help and support. Bringing that folding hand saw on rides and doing your part to maintain the trails helps us all a bunch. I started carrying a folding saw last year and it came in handy a couple of times when I came across blowdowns.

Keep up the good work!

TonyVT

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Originally posted by §tylus@Sep 16 2005, 12:32 PM
The winter finished strong with a lot of great riding to be had.  I don’t think the reason for lower TMAs was snow alone but a combination of late start, higher TMA and gas prices.  This year will be even lower TMA sales.  Mark my words.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=877793
[/quote]
Vermont has become a victom of its own sucess, first they wanted people to come there and ride , now they dont.We rode from barre town to Jay and back to Barre. Was 4 days after they recived 20 inches and out of all that ride only 20 miles had been groomed since the snow fell. Vermont used to be awesome, ( i had a camp in west stewartstown NH , rode a lot in VT and PQ ) Then its ins , then 45 mph on state owned land then sitting trail side while cops check ya paperwork. And that other dude was right, the cops in Island pond suck!

ANd for you new york riders , dont laugh too much at this post as old forge is headed in the same direction of being victom of its own success

·
Premium Member
2,818 Posts
Last season was off to a slow start but the riding was better than average from my memory. I think the mandatory insurance might have lowered TMA sales some. I think this season will have even fewer TMA sales. I didn't notice the cost of new TMA's in the VAST news. What concerns me more is the cost of fuel. At the current prices, it will cost me about $225 for gas alone to ride one trip. Might be doing more skiing this year. DT

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
There is NO increase on the price of a TMA for 2006. VAST had their annual meeting yesterday and they are holding the price of a TMA the same as last year.

I agree with you DT- the cost of the sport in general is what will limit the amount of people that join. The real impact of that will be felt in 07. If only 25,000 TMA'S are sold this year and VAST planned on 35,000- the price will go up significantly in 07.

:augen41:

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have to agree with daytripper about the insurance, I heard so many people whining about the mandatory insurance thing. You have people that spend $7000 on a sled and $2500 on a trailer, then they whine about having to buy insurance and say they will stop riding VT. Good, leave some more snow for me, that is just funny.

I am very fortunate that Woodford is only an hour from my door. Seeing how it is good riding, I will definitely get a TMA, no matter what the cost is.
With all the eastern states being so close and reg/permits being about the same, maybe grooming will get better to attract the riders.

I am more worried about getting lots of snow.

·
Registered
662 Posts
:banghead: i agree w/rob, the conditions in the nek were some of the best i've seen in recent memory. we also rode until the first couple of weeks in march. the costs of the sport are a concern, but it's the families that used to ride every weekend(in so. vt anyway) that are losing out. they don't usually have the $7000.00 + sleds and the expensive trailers, in fact they probably don't even have a trailer. they are the folks that joined vast when they could afford it. most of these people have never even rode in the north where their vast $$'s are mostly used. these are the folks i heard the most complaints from about the money when i was a vast county director before insurance and when the club and vast dues first started to climb. these are also the ones that are either calling it quits or riding illegally, which they can get away with in my area. i also agree, the island pond "police force" sucks, it's pretty close to harrassment! can't be good for business, although i've heard that residents of ip think it's great!! don't get it?? :banghead:

·
Registered
662 Posts
:banghead: i agree w/rob, the conditions in the nek were some of the best i've seen in recent memory. we also rode until the first couple of weeks in march. the costs of the sport are a concern, but it's the families that used to ride every weekend(in so. vt anyway) that are losing out. they don't usually have the $7000.00 + sleds and the expensive trailers, in fact they probably don't even have a trailer. they are the folks that joined vast when they could afford it. most of these people have never even rode in the north where their vast $$'s are mostly used. these are the folks i heard the most complaints from about the money when i was a vast county director before insurance and when the club and vast dues first started to climb. these are also the ones that are either calling it quits or riding illegally, which they can get away with in my area. i also agree, the island pond "police force" sucks, it's pretty close to harrassment! can't be good for business, although i've heard that residents of ip think it's great!! don't get it?? :banghead:

·
Registered
82 Posts
when people say record snow fall in vermont they are always talking N.E.K. down south here we had a crappy year. but as stated before the cost of riding in vt depends wholey on what kind of year they had up north the year before. don't get me wrong i love riding up north and go for aweek every year but there are alot of people who ride down here that can't afford to make that trip. so the cost of everything really isn't worth it if you can only ride in the southern part of the state and i'm afraid if everything keeps going up in price alot of residents will call it quits.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The season got off to a slow start with limited grooming til mid January. Did get better in the NEK and actually was pretty good thru February. In early March we got a big storm which extended the season into late March.
Gfool :dunno:

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
We couldn't ride out of the Barre area until near the end of January but after that the trails were tops. Near perfect riding everywhere we went and if we found a bad trail we just turned around and went somewhere else.

The expenses are there for the clubs and VAST whether there is early snow or not, we all need to join our local club and buy our TMA's to show our support. That includes all of you who don't volunteer and claim you would rather pay your way.

·
Registered
374 Posts
that jerk constable "Teddy Miller" thinks he's some kind of hero. if the good folks
up there in I.P. want us snowmobilers to keep us coming back and enjoying this
beautiful haven they should ride his sorry ass out of town ASAP! Back in '03 during
the Cystic Fibrosis Border to Border charity run that asshole had his blocking the track scam going on our return back to Danville and held up 7 good-hearted sledders for over an hour while he wrote up his tickets and ran all our reg.'s over
his radio.in subfreezing weather, and all we were trying to do was get into town and warm up and eat dinner and spend our money in the town they pay this jackass to protect! someday i will piss on his grave because he will oneday get
what he has coming to him from one of the good people he has fucked over in
his day

1 - 20 of 29 Posts