Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 04 500 xc has always seemed like it builds up a lot of pressure in gas tank. Yesterday on long run ,it died out at a quarter tank and wouldn't restart untill I opened tank, LOTS of pressure there. Whats my problem? a vent hose kinked? Before I tear into it, where does the vent line begin and what else should I do to keep this from happening again?

Thanks In Advance!

·
Registered
314 Posts
My 04 500 xc has always seemed like it builds up a lot of pressure in gas tank. Yesterday on long run ,it died out at a quarter tank and wouldn't restart untill I opened tank, LOTS of pressure there. Whats my problem? a vent hose kinked? Before I tear into it, where does the vent line begin and what else should I do to keep this from happening again?

Thanks In Advance![/b]
If you know that the tank pressure is the problem then check that. The tank is vented near the top. Open the hood and look behind the airbox. You will see the clear tubing that connects to the tank vent. It is routed back and forth on top of the metal hoop that the steering post connects to. Follow the tube from the end all the way to the tank looking for a kink or something. I don't believe the tank should build any pressure. That is what the vent is for. Actually, is the tank building pressure or vacuum? I would think vacuum which would explain the runability issue. Fuel does build pressure too when you shake it around. Either way check your vent tubing.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you know that the tank pressure is the problem then check that. The tank is vented near the top. Open the hood and look behind the airbox. You will see the clear tubing that connects to the tank vent. It is routed back and forth on top of the metal hoop that the steering post connects to. Follow the tube from the end all the way to the tank looking for a kink or something. I don't believe the tank should build any pressure. That is what the vent is for. Actually, is the tank building pressure or vacuum? I would think vacuum which would explain the runability issue. Fuel does build pressure too when you shake it around. Either way check your vent tubing.[/b]
Ya know, I am thinking tank had vaccum, because I think the bottom of the tank warper up because I could't get the top back on the tank,couldn't push the float down.I thought at first the sound I was hearing as I turned the top was pressure releasing, but it may have been suction.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya know, I am thinking tank had vaccum, because I think the bottom of the tank warper up because I could't get the top back on the tank,couldn't push the float down.I thought at first the sound I was hearing as I turned the top was pressure releasing, but it may have been suction.[/b]

Can I route the vent tubing somewhere else?I suppose the hiegth above tank is important,what about tubing length?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts