Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vandals gave the Cheboygan Trailblazers - the organization that grooms snowmobile trails in the area - the equivalent of a lump of coal for Christmas.

Someone ripped down 25 signs along the newly opened section of former railroad grade known as the West Mullett Trail on Friday or Saturday of last week, leaving two members of the organization to spend five hours on Christmas Eve day replacing the signs, said Trailblazers President Fred Brandt.

“They broke the signs off by twisting them,” Brandt said on Tuesday. “They pulled off speed limits signs, stop ahead signs, stop signs and the larger signs that listed the hours of operation.”

While the stop ahead and stop signs are the responsibility of the local club, the larger signs were contracted out by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources after DNR Director Rebecca Humphries declared the trail open to snowmobiles last summer. The trail had been off limits to snowmobiles for 10 years prior to the opening.

Brandt said he reported the vandalism and theft to the Michigan State Police.

“This is discouraging when you have all-volunteer labor,” Brandt said Tuesday. “Some of these guys aren't even riders.”

Brandt said none of the removed signs were found in the vicinity. It was the second such case of vandalism. An early sign pillage took place along the established trail in the downtown Cheboygan area, he noted.

Mark Elliott and Rob Morrow, both Trailblazers members, spent five hours of their Christmas Eve replacing the signs along the trail.

“We have no idea who did this,” Brandt said Tuesday.

Anyone with information on the missing signs can call Brandt at 625-2567.

:banghead:

http://www.cheboygannews.com/articles/2006.../news/news1.txt

·
Registered
607 Posts
gee you think maybe the two familes that they had to take to court had something to do with it :banghead:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Watch 7-4 news tonite, there doing a story on this. They're out front of my place right now with a news crew. I talked with a member of the trailblazers and he says it happened sometime between wed. and fri. nite. Odd thing is I live on the trail and did not even notice they were missing. I will be keeping a closer eye on it now, would love to catch them in the act. :banghead: :frech32:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Watch 7-4 news tonite, there doing a story on this. They're out front of my place right now with a news crew. I talked with a member of the trailblazers and he says it happened sometime between wed. and fri. nite. Odd thing is I live on the trail and did not even notice they were missing. I will be keeping a closer eye on it now, would love to catch them in the act. :banghead: :frech32:[/b]
Yep, have your camera ready...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
As already stated, I'll bet it's someone who opposed the trail. Or, most likely it was one of the property owners adjacent to the trail that had built permanent structures on the state right of way. F7cking idiots. Makes lots of sense. "I know! Let's get rid of the signs so someone gets caught speeding or gets hurt! Then they'll have to close the trail down!"

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Or the assclown that threatened to get his gun when the two sledders pulled off the trail to let the groomer pass......you don't have to look very far on this one. Definately a pissed off local that opposes the trail.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Saw the spot on 7&4. They got a couple things wrong,they said the clubs have been working "over a year to make the trail happen", and that the club would be bearing the cost of the signs and posts, but from a public awareness standpoint,they made a point.The persons responsible probably enjoyed it,and I'll bet they will be back.With the high profile and all the contriversy surrounding the trail,there will unfourtunately be more incidents.Hopefully, no one will get hurt.

·
Registered
607 Posts
perfect time to use those feeder cams if anyone has one put it across from the sign :div20:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
perfect time to use those feeder cams if anyone has one put it across from the sign :div20:[/b]
Exactly right!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Saw the spot on 7&4. They got a couple things wrong,they said the clubs have been working "over a year to make the trail happen", and that the club would be bearing the cost of the signs and posts, but from a public awareness standpoint,they made a point.The persons responsible probably enjoyed it,and I'll bet they will be back.With the high profile and all the contriversy surrounding the trail,there will unfourtunately be more incidents.Hopefully, no one will get hurt.[/b]
No one should get hurt but I bet we can get enough volunters to sit off the trail to bust these I have nothing else to do people!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Saw the spot on 7&4. They got a couple things wrong,they said the clubs have been working "over a year to make the trail happen", and that the club would be bearing the cost of the signs and posts, but from a public awareness standpoint,they made a point.The persons responsible probably enjoyed it,and I'll bet they will be back.With the high profile and all the contriversy surrounding the trail,there will unfourtunately be more incidents.Hopefully, no one will get hurt.[/b]
Typical media there eh? It's more like TEN YEARS working to get the trail!

Everyone that rides that area PLEASE BE CAREFUL! Someone that wants the trail shutdown but has no idea about snowmobiling could string something across the trail. Even a rope placed at bumper level can up-end a sled. Just PLEASE PAY ATTENTION. If you go through with inexperienced riders DO NOT let them lead through that area. This could get very serious.

3 years ago a smiliar thing happened by my place in Karlin with a local not liking sledders using a right of way that the power company said was okay for sleds to use. They strung wire with a "DANGER DECAPATATION HAZARD" sign :banghead: Benzie County's finest paid them a visit though :banana:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.